Your viewing journal

The Boy and the Heron

I really enjoyed The Boy and the Heron, I thought it was classic Miyazaki, vibrant, colourful and enchanting and wonderfully complex at the same time.

Ranma 1/2: Battle at Togenkyo! Get Back the Brides!

A re-watch of this movie to complete my viewing of all the Ranma 1/2 anime. Been 10 years since I last saw and it's still a fun movie.

Overtake! - Episodes 1 & 2

I love how the characters have developed so far.

Bullbuster - Episodes 7 - 12 [Final]

TBH, I found Bullbuster slow and underwhelming, very by the numbers and it felt like not much actually happened it it.

Ninja Robot Tobikage - Episodes 7 - 11

A quarter of the way through Tobikage and I'm enjoying it much more this time round, the poor video quality on the fansub totally hid what a good looking show this is at times, HD really does it justice and a decent translation helps a lot too!

Golden Warrior Gold Lightan - Episodes 28 - 30

Norn 9 complete series. standard kids with superpowers type series with a few surprises thrown into the mix. Entertaining enough but not one I'd bother to revisit (part of the MVM Mystery DVD bundle).

Back to Sgt Frog, hopefully I can to the end of Series 3 by tomorrow morning (just five hours remaining).

Hyperdimension Neptunia the Animation
Episodes 1-13
Crikey, I'm not sure what to say.
Too many loli's but they all transform in a busty way. The Arfoire stuffing Iffy with eggplants in a slightly weird way. A mouse in love with a goddess.
Best line "I kept my virginity in exchange for the information".
Best character - all the adults but a special mention for Arfoire who kept on being called and old hag!

Attachments

• Neptunia-12-06.jpg
    Neptunia-12-06.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 4
Dead Mount Death Play (Japanese audio) - Episodes 21-24 (Completed)
The Faraway Paladin: The Lord of the Rust Mountains (Japanese audio) - Episodes 5-7

16-Bit Sensation ep12-13 [end]

What a strange little series. In the end, I think Konoha’s journey did feel like the arc of a visual novel, which I guess is what they were aiming for, but this never quite got beyond being a strong idea held back by frustratingly ordinary execution. There’s a lot of novelty value in the subject matter and some fun moments, it was just never quite as dramatic or as funny as it feels like it ought to have been. I’d be very curious to see how it compares with the manga.

Sgt Frog season 3 episodes 142-154: and that's complete. They surprised me with a couple of seriously emotional episodes in that bunch, including one about Pluto being downgraded from a planet, one about a doll wanting to become a real girl and a heartbreaking farewell to one of the main characters )sorta). The usual apocalyptic finale to the series involved giant robots battling it out in space to save Earth, which answered the question for me of why space robots needs legs. Still enjoying the show but a pause before getting into season 4 is called for.

By The Grace Of The Gods complete series: Entertaining but possibly too sweet for some people. I kept waiting for the disaster (or betrayal or anything that wasn't positive and cutesy) to happen. Maybe in series 2. Is there a series 2? Surely they can't leave just as the main characters part for an extended period of time to face their own trials?

The Vexations of a Shut-In Vampire Princess episode 12 Combo. (Complete. I felt a bit indifferent to this series overall.) 3/5

Kimi ni Todoke: From me to You 2nd Season
episodes 31-37 (Complete. An engaging romance series with a solid cast, though I admittedly found the second season to be a bit tedious at times, but it did eventually redeem itself, and I’m looking forward to the upcoming third season.) 4/5, 3/5

Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House
episodes 1-12 (Complete. Charming, endearing and easygoing to watch, I regret not watching this when it aired.) 4/5

Kobato.
episodes 1-3

The Dungeon of Black Company episodes 1-4...: this couldn't be more different an Isekai to By The Grace Of The Gods. Everyone is a horrible self-centered scumbag out to cut their friends throats. Good double from the Amazon sale, if I do say so myself!

Shangri-La Frontier (Japanese audio) - Episodes 8-13

That concludes my Autumn 2023 anime simulcast watch, mainly to complete the Anime Planet challenge of 8 titles this season. To be honest I'll probably ditch the challenge going forward as it feels like its tampering with my simulcast experiences than benefiting it.

Back