Your viewing journal

‘Tis Time for “Torture”, Princess episode 2 Playtime.

TSUKIMICHI -Moonlit Fantasy- season 2 episode 14 A great tamer.

La corda d'oro: primo passo episodes 14-25 (Complete. A series that I gave a fair shot to but came away feeling rather indifferent overall.) 3/5

Ladies Vs. Butlers
episodes 1-2

Last edited:
Rayearth OVA (English dubbed, REWATCH) - Only a rewatch in the most technical sense as I only watched this once before over 15 years ago and forgot virtually everything about it. But actually it was better than I remembered and I'm glad I watched it, it also had a very good dub though the characters had different VAs than for the MKR TV series. It was interesting that they had different motivations and relationships than in the TV version and I also loved the animation and gothic atmosphere.

A Certain Magical Index Season 1 (English dubbed) - At least thus far (having not watched Season 2 yet), this is much better than I have heard, and I had a lot of fun watching it, yes I would agree the Railgun spinoff is better, but this is entertaining too :)

Chaika: The Coffin Princess Eps 4-9. I'm showing this series to my mother; kind of surprised she is really liking the show, especially with all the fighting in it, but Ok!

Viewing on my own:
Tsukimichi Moonlit Fantasy S1 Eps 1-9. Catching up on the first season since season 2 is out.
Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable! Eps 1-2.
The Witch and the Beast Ep. 1
Sasaki and Peeps Ep 1.
Metallic Rouge Ep 1.

One and done, most likely:
'Tis Time for "Torture, Princess Ep 1.
The Foolish Angel Dances with the Devil Ep 1

BUCCHIGIRI?! ep 1: This was good fun; thuggish teens causing stupid fights against a backdrop of mystic martial powers, strange friendships, romantic awkwardness, Chinese cooking, gang politics and a mysterious genie-like benefactor (with awesome fangs). I love the (unusual for anime) emphasis on elements from other eastern cultures rather than borrowing from the west and the design work is gorgeous. The visual humour also really works for me. It's confusing that it comes quite soon after the completely different show called Bucchigire but fortunately it's much more memorable right away, like Kenka Banchou Otome's higher budget, madcap cousin. Definitely a keeper.

R

This sounds proper good!
Always appreciate your episode mini reviews, Rui. I usually watch on average about zero of the new shows every season, so your write ups give me an intriguing insight into what the anime landscape is like. I have to say though, most of the descriptions do leave me absolutely bewildered as to how this kind of stuff gets made and why such awful sounding trends have taken hold (slavery-fetishism ! WTF!). It made me think about starting a new thread titled "What the hell has happened to anime, how did we get here?". Genuinely, something seems to have gone very wrong with anime.

It's really not that deep. No matter what you think of those shows they're the ones that are popular at the moment and that's all that matters to the committees.

Oh totally I know they're getting made because they're popular, I mean most of them sound like the opposite of passion projects. But it's the popularity of them that's the deep part. What I'm interested in is why exactly it is so many people like this stuff, it's surely reflective of some deeper societal malaise I strongly suspect. I know you can't always find a neat narrative for this stuff, and have to be a bit careful pathologising stuff, but it is fascinating to try to understand.

It's mid-January and I've more or less completed my own initial watch of "series I was interested in" which differs from @Rui who has the "Watch every series and see what works" approach. I enjoyed reading through some of your comments btw here! It reinforces that most of what I've not seen, wasn't worth seeing, the only exception to that sounded like it might be Sign of Affection.

In no particular order, my things I think that may be worth checking out list:

Bucchigiri?! - This was good I liked the intro episode, a weird mix of Aladdin style setting (with some very Aladdin style names) in an interesting location, nicely animated by MAPPA, this looks like it will be a fun watch.

Metallic Rouge - Feels kind of Bladerunner-esque, I liked this one, it's refreshing leaving school and having more of a sci-fi theme. I'd recommend trying this. Interested to see where this goes.

The Weakest Tamer Began a Journey To Pick Up Trash - Why is the animation quality of this so good?! This has had some real care put into it, and whilst I don't think it takes my top spot of the season, if watching a girl heal through befriending a slime in a wonderfully animated backdrop sounds interesting, it's worth trying. I know from the trailer that this also gets pretty dark, so fair warning, there is a juxtaposition here of light and dark elements. It gets some bonus points for the MC being a girl of action rather than just crying and accepting her fate.

The Witch and the Beast - I am a sucker for this kind of show I think, there isn't loads to say about the introduction episode without spoiling things, but the main duo are an interesting pair to watch.

Delicious in Dungeon - Whilst food based anime isn't my usual go-to, Trigger have done a good job so far of making this worth watching despite that. The care/attention is clearly there for this show, so if dungeon RPG with a food based angle sounds appealing, it's probably worth your time.

Solo Leveling - I've read some of this already so I kind of know where it goes. The production quality on this is really good and A-1 pictures have so far knocked it out of the park. This is a pure power fantasy show but it has more world building than most shows of this type, which is why it's not just a generic isekai.

7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life Married to Her Worst Enemy! - This actually beat my expectations, the setup was interesting enough and some of those lives she led seem like they'd give her important insight/knowledge into this, the 7th time loop she finds herself in. I've only seen episode 1 so far, but I know 2 is available. I hope it manages to add some surprises to keep it interesting.

The Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic - Alright so this is an isekai among isekais, but damn I'm a sucker for an older senpai onee-chan who doesn't mess about. Not expecting this to wind up being amazing but so far better than the generic other isekai we've seen.

Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable! - It know what it is, and I'm here for it, this is not going to win awards, but it's interesting enough so far, my only complaint is that the MC is kind of generic, and the main girl has latched onto MC-kun for no reason other than "he breathes and he moves, and he's from Tokyo!".

The Unwanted Undead Adventurer - Fairly generic isekai so far, but I don't mind watching one or two of these per season, there are worse ideas than this one out there. This more serviceable than the one about the instant death ability.

Last edited:
The Weakest Tamer Began a Journey To Pick Up Trash - Why is the animation quality of this so good?! This has had some real care put into it, and whilst I don't think it takes my top spot of the season, if watching a girl heal through befriending a slime in a wonderfully animated backdrop sounds interesting, it's worth trying. I know from the trailer that this also gets pretty dark, so fair warning, there is a juxtaposition here of light and dark elements. It gets some bonus points for the MC being a girl of action rather than just crying and accepting her fate.
Definitely the hidden gem of the season, I guess the title is not doing it any favours. As someone who has been reading the LN and Manga, I've been trying to encourage people to give it a try.

Definitely the hidden gem of the season, I guess the title is not doing it any favours. As someone who has been reading the LN and Manga, I've been trying to encourage people to give it a try.

Yep liked it so far, I think everything in my list above I would do 3 episodes of at least, but imagine I'll continue them all to the end.

I forgot to add 7th Time Loop so I've added that in.

Shy (English Dub) Episode 12 (Complete)

The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent Season 2 (English Dub) Episode 24 (Complete)

Villainess Level 99: I May Be the Hidden Boss but I'm Not the Demon Lord Episode 2

The Weakest Tamer Began a Journey To Pick Up Trash
Yeah would definitely not have looked twice at this down to the title but we all know how misleading those can be (SNAFU being my prime example). Thanks to you two this goes on the mugen watchlist.

Last Week

Non-Anime

 Echo
- Episode 1 - 5 (Complete)

I found this quite the enjoyable series though I will admit I was looking forward to seeing Kingpin the most from the show and he was definitely my favourite part of this, felt much closer to how he was in Daredevil as to how he was portrayed in Hawkeye. Outside of Kingpin though I really enjoyed all the side characters as well, they were a lot of fun and it was nice to see Echo herself more as I did like her character in Hawkeye even if I felt she didn't need her own show. But now it is said and done, I'm glad it exists and had a good time with it.

 Today

Ranking of Kings (English)
- Episode 20 - 23 (Complete)

This was a fantastic series, you absolutely have to adore and feel for Bojji and Kage. Big fan of the art style for the series as well, really let's it stand out from the rest with some great animation to boot. One thing I will say, at times it felt like characters changed their personalities and actions on a dime like that and maybe I was missing something but a bit of whiplash at times I felt. At the same time though with their roles in the kingdom as well as their loyalties, it does explain and excuse a lot of them. That's only just a nitpick though but adored it for the most part and look forward to watching the second season which from my understanding is similar to Horimiya S2 where it feels in the gaps if I'm correct? could be completely wrong there.

Air (English) - Episode 1 - 4

Classroom of the Elite III episode 3 Slanderous rumours.

Doctor Elise: The Royal Lady with the Lamp episode 2 Dissolve.

Metallic Rouge episode 2 Kidulthood.

Ishura episode 3 Sing.

Heaven’s Official Blessing Season 2 episode 12 Plague. (Complete. A strong second season, I’m glad I got caught up with this series.) 4/5

Sengoku Youko
episode 2 Vermin.

Lady Georgie episodes 6-15

Back