Your viewing journal

The Ancient Magus Bride episodes 13-24: Probably shouldn't have listened to the episode 21 commentary before completing watching the episodes, as it did give away the ending. Oh well, still a fascinating series with some beautiful imagery and a slightly cheesy post-credit end. Now to wait for season two to come to BR/DVD. I suppose I'd better finish Arslan now.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan episodes 14-25/6: disappointing, as nothing is resolved and too many things were just thrown in without explanation. The sound effects from swords hitting flesh were very realistic, but the actions of the military commanders were bordering on criminal negligence. Doubt I'll be shelling out for the sequel unless it's a DOTW or something.

Urusei Yatsura (2022) ep9-11

Thus ends the first season. Now that most of the main characters have been introduced, I think the series is chugging along quite merrily (the New Year’s party at the Mendou mansion was a real highlight), although I’d like to make a point of watching some of the original before I continue this one, just for comparison. I am also kinda sick of that opening track, and HIDIVE isn’t always the handiest for scrubbing through a video timeline…

Bang Bravern ep5-6

So, when are we getting Bravern in Super Robot Wars?

Frieren ep18-24

Surely the way to deal with mirror world Frieren is just to use a mimic chest?

Delicious in Dungeon ep8

Some interesting animation this week - feels almost like something team Yuasa would come up with.

Return of the God of Gamblers
Sometimes you should leave your heroes in the past. Although Chow Yun-fat did shoot 2 guns a few times and the 5 year old kid had some good moves.

Yeah, it has its moments, but it doesn’t have that same lightness of touch that the first film did.

Last edited:
Banished From the Hero's Party I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside Season 2 episode 8 So-called hero.

One Piece episode 1095 Power of six.

Shangri-La Frontier episode 20 Potential learnings.

The Fire Hunter 2nd Season episode 17 Orders.

Major S6 episodes 148-154, Major: World Series OVA, Major: Message OVA

Major 2nd
episodes 1-6

5 Centimeters Per Second

I'll admit I've been quite dismissive of Makoto Shinkai's work in the past (I think because of all the hype that surrounded him years ago) and while I don't think his films are perfect the more I see of them the more I am beginning to really appreciate his craft. Despite a slightly clumsy final few minutes I enjoyed 5 Centimeters Per Second's melancholic feel.

Bio-Booster Armor Guyver - Episodes 9 - 12 [Final]

You can see the effect of the two year gap between episodes 6 and 7, there are noticeable differences in the animation, and it ends on a cliffhanger leaving you wanting more but I still think this is a very cool OVA, it's a fantastic (if incomplete) story with fantastic action scenes. The benefit of the US DVDs is that you get an uncut version of episode 12 (the UK VHS release had a few seconds of nudity cut out).

Bang Brave Bang Bravern - Episode 7

I am enjoying Bravern, it's a lot of fun.

Golden Warrior Gold Lightan - Episodes 46 & 47

The Cockpit

We reviewed The Cockpit on the podcast a few years ago and I agree with some of your comments about it partially glamourising the Axis forces and its depiction of the the tragedies of war. There is fansub available that uses the Japanese blu-ray release which we used for our review, it looks fantastic.

7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life Married to Her Worst Enemy! Episode 8

Banished from the Hero's Party, I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside Season 2 Episode 8

Fluffy Paradise Episode 9

‘Tis Time for “Torture”, Princess episode 8 Rollercoaster.

TSUKIMICHI -Moonlit Fantasy- season 2 episode 20 Noble dorm.

Major 2nd episodes 7-20

The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy (English Dub) Episode 8

Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable!
Episode 8

The Foolish Angel Dances with the Devil Episode 8

Tis Time for "Torture," Princess Episode 8

TSUKIMICHI -Moonlit Fantasy- Season 2 Episode 20

On Sunday my mother and I watched some anime and the live action Netflix Avatar: The Last Airbender series for a crazy 8 hours straight - from 12:30-8:30 pm, with only a brief break to eat a quick supper!

The Apothecary Diaries Episode 20
7th Time Loop: The Villainess Enjoys a Carefree Life Married to Her Worst Enemy! Episodes 5-8
Doctor Elise: The Royal Lady with the Lamp Episode 1-6
Avatar: The Last Airbender live-action series Episodes 2-5

On my own I watched on Monday:

A Sign of Affection Episode 8
Tales of Wedding Rings Episode 8
The Demon Prince of Momochi House Episode 8
The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic Episode 8
Villainess Level 99: I May Be the Hidden Boss But I'm Not the Demon Lord Episode 7
The Weakest Tamer Began a Journey to Pick Up Trash Episodes 6
Banished From the Hero's Party I Decided to Live a Quiet Life in the Countryside Season 2 Episodes 3-7

Hidamari Sketch × Hoshimittsu episodes 9-12 & 2 OVAs: As we keep moving forward with the new students, we also get the occasional glimpse into the distant past (of two years ago), with the previous tenants making an appearance. Can it be any cuter?

Bang Bravern ep7

Metallic Rouge ep7

Thinking I might shelve Metallic Rouge for now to be honest. When it’s not taking itself too seriously, it can be entertaining, but when it tries to lean into any darker elements, it just feels like a dreary Blade Runner fanfic with two of the least memorable lead characters in recent times. Given how much love has clearly gone into the visuals, I’m honestly baffled by how bad the writing feels for this one - it’s like someone made a joke about how getting an AI to write their cyberpunk anime would be the ultimate irony, then the rest of the studio took it seriously…

Urusei Yatsura (1981) ep1-3

Save us Mamoru Oshii, you’re our only hope. I’ve seen bits and pieces of OG Yatsura before, but clearly not in chronological order, as the very first episode was the only one of these I remembered (pretty sure I have seen it in the original language too, not just the infamous UK gag dub). In any case, it holds up remarkably well, offering a very different take on the material to the David Pro version, but pleasingly, I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive - I don’t feel like I was spoiled on anything by having watched the new version first, both are entirely valid.

The only thing that did annoy me was the appearance of Ten, who I don’t think has shown up in the remake as yet. He’s a snotty little brat who needs to sod off as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Classroom of the Elite III episode 9 Gift.

Doctor Elise: The Royal Lady with the Lamp episode 8 Lifetime.

Metallic Rouge episode 8 soul warfare.

Ishura episode 9 Tactical planning.

Sengoku Youko episode 8 Broken illusion.

Major 2nd 2nd Season episodes 36-45

Back