Your viewing journal

Last night I was planning on finishing off Haruhi but it was getting too late and I didn't want to waste all of today, so I watched up to the last three episodes (broadcast order); Live Alive and the main story parts 5+6.

Just my personal opinion with the reason for doing the broadcast order.
The only reason I can see why it was done, was to create suspense and keep people coming back each week, while getting really excited (and leaving lots of cliff-hangers). I heard it was the choice of the person who created Haruhi to do the broadcast order. Anyway, broadcast order is certainly interesting and watching the episodes that are meant to come after the main story just make more of a build up to the end while refering to things that haven't happened yet.

I shall enjoy rewatching the whole series in chronological order, when the R1 release has finished, not only because it will be really good fun watching it that order, but also the fansub uses a lot of CPU power, and sometimes I don't have enough to keep up with the highly graphic intense style of the show, only somtimes that happens though, anyhow watching it on DVD should be good, and I didn't think I would say this but I think I will give the dub a good go, if it lives up to what it needs to be for such a show, because it's just so hard to keep up with the story because it's so fast, and everyone speaks so fast. It's like watching a train going across the platform full speed.

EDIT: Just finished off the whole series. Really looking forward to watching it all over again when the DVDs are finally out! As for the story, a second season is badly needed, it all ended too quickly!

Started watching Gunslinger Girl now.
Now I understand what people mean when they say Funimation's video encoding isn't the best. Because in fact it's nowhere near as good as it should be :/ At least they use white subtitles though! This is the reason I prefer to watch anime from fansubs; the distributors just can't do a good job, and they demand money from it. I'm wondering if I should wait to download a R2 dvd rip of it, or something else along those lines. I think I won't be too fussy though and just stick with it.

EDIT: After 1 episode I've decided to start watching another series, and continue with Gunslinger Girl on fansub/dvd-rip. There is 'noise' throughout the opening of the series, really nasty noise, it's like when you download a song with a tiny bitrate you get that muffled sound. Great. Then there's the video quality. On my computer it's pretty blurry, I put it in the main DVD player (which I can't always use) downstairs and it's better, but not by a massive amount, so I'm just going to download the rip of it, where the dvd-ripper has spent 2 weeks getting rid of the 'noise'. Quality. And the video has gone through lots of filters so that will be better.

So I shall be moving onto Juuni Kokki (The Twelve Kingdoms). I found out that apparently it has a very good DVD encode, and I have both the premium collections, so that's great, the collections are just stunning, and that's just the outside, can't wait to watch the series. It's apparently a Japanese version of The Lord of the Rings. Although it was meant to have 61 episodes, but apparently due to money issues or something, they cut it down to 45, and the ending suffers from that; but hey, we can always hope for a sequel...

Tokyo Tribe 2 1+2 - Started watching this tonight after stumbling across it yesterday and holy crap is it good. From what i've seen in the first two episodes it's the typical gang story set in the seedy underworld of Tokyo. Typical story for the first two episodes but with some very interesting twists.

Tokyo Tribe 2 is heavily influence by Hip Hop and this goes for the soundtrack aswell, which i thought was absolutley fantastic. Brilliant beats and some really good songs. Kai, the lead, was also playing Vice City on his ps2 in the first episode and i thought that was brilliant. If you like a bit of hip hop or are a fan of gang stories then i would really recommend Tokyo Tribe 2.

I don't know how this slipped under my radar, but this is a brilliant show.

Code Geass - 24&25
Code Geass Picture Book - 8.75
Cossette no Shouzou - 01-03
Natsuiro no Sunadokei - 01&02
One Piece - 318
Saiunkoku Monogatari 2nd - 01&02
Paprika

Nyu said:
Tokyo Tribe 2 1+2 - Started watching this tonight after stumbling across it yesterday and holy crap is it good. From what i've seen in the first two episodes it's the typical gang story set in the seedy underworld of Tokyo. Typical story for the first two episodes but with some very interesting twists.

Tokyo Tribe 2 is heavily influence by Hip Hop and this goes for the soundtrack aswell, which i thought was absolutley fantastic. Brilliant beats and some really good songs. Kai, the lead, was also playing Vice City on his ps2 in the first episode and i thought that was brilliant. If you like a bit of hip hop or are a fan of gang stories then i would really recommend Tokyo Tribe 2.

I don't know how this slipped under my radar, but this is a brilliant show.

I saw the last ep of this not that long ago, not an amazingly great anime but I liked it. The cyborg guy that talks using his PSP was funny :lol:

I'm upto ep 60 of Konjiki no Gash Bell!! now, still feeling sorry for Umagon not being able to really do anything like talk english (his real name is Schneider but can't get people to understand that) or hold things (he's a horse).

Finished the first episode of Juuni Kokki yesturday, can't wait to see more.
I remembered about Furi Kuri sometime last night though, so I watched the first episode of that. Furi Kuri is some seriously mad anime, going to watch the last five episodes then continue with Juuni Kokki.
It's strange; I have both the boxset of Furi Kuri, and a really good dvd-rip.
I watched the rip first, thought it was fantastic, no artifacts/blurring, nothing bad at all. Then I put the dvd in... now you'd expect a series like Furi Kuri (which is spread across three dvds anyway, two episodes per disc) to be outstanding quality and perfection, I mean it costs enough for a 6 episode series... but there again I was wrong, from the first scene I noticed really visible jagged edges to the characters when the bright sky was behind them. The general quality of the picture was no better than the dvd rip what-so-ever, and of course there were nice big fat yellow subtitles, way too far up the screen on the dvd. As usual there were no episode notes either (which Furi Kuri blatently needs as it refers to other animes constantly). What a shame. I know I'm being too fussy, but I guess I'll just have to watch all my anime fansub style, because it's just so much better! Twelve Kingdoms is an exception, because it will take too long to download, and the quality isn't really amazing anyway, likewise for X, when I start that. The dvd quality of Juuni Kokki, from what I've seen so far, is really good. It just shows how it is possible to make a decent dvd...

EDIT: I'm going to take some comparison screen caps to show you actually

Okay here we go then... First of all, ignore the difference in quality, the DVD version's colours look so washed out because I had to use the original DVD playing software that came with the player (PowerDVD) because that was the only thing that allowed me to take screen caps with a DVD. The first screenshot is from KickAssAnime's DVD-rip of it, 350MB filesize, the screen cap was taken with MediaPlayerClassic. Also, yes the second screen-cap is not exactly the same as the first; I'm showing that when the image changes between frames, the outsides of the lines become very jagged, as you can see. Again, both images, when played on MediaPlayerClassic, will look the same, (not the washed out crap of the second one), just look for the weird jagged edges:

FLCL DVD-rip from KAA:

FLCL Direct from DVD:

DaNiMe said:
Christ, i'm glad i'm not as fussy as you Dan. If I were all the fun out of watching... anything would be gone. :X

Been waiting most of the day for this

Code Geass, 1 - 4. Brilliant. Can't believe it took me this long to start it.

And also

Strawberry Panic!, 2
FLCL, 4

WTFDaveMustaine said:
DaNiMe said:
Christ, i'm glad i'm not as fussy as you Dan. If I were all the fun out of watching... anything would be gone. :X

:D On the contrary. It puts more fun in for me, because when I find something of great quality it looks amazing and I know there isn't anything of better quality out there. If I were to watch some ****** speed-sub of anything, I'd be constantly watching the errors in all aspects of it and just think what a waste of time. When I watch things I know a lot of love and passion has been put into making them and it gives all the more joy to watching them. Simple little things, such as not having spelling errors or terrible graphics make a whole world of difference. :wink:

Anyway, last night I marathoned the rest of Furi Kuri and what can I say!
I kept thinking every episode how perfect it is, and it totally made me think that it would be the perfect anime to have on TV. It's short, it appeals to people all over the world the references to English bands, and South Park. The graphics are top notch in every way, jaw dropping for anyone, if they like anime or not. It's just wow.
I'm so going to watch it all over again soon, just like Haruhi. Incredible!
Now I realise who the mascot of this forum was for all that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night I started properly on Juuni Kokki (The Twelve Kingdoms)
and watched Chapters 2 to 8 of the 'Shadow of the Moon, The Sea of Shadow' arc (episodes 2 to 8 ).
I'm absolutely loving this story so much, I can see why it gets so much praise!
People relate it to being a Japanese Lord of the Rings... I think it's way better though : D.
The characters in it are just phenominal! They're all extremely well designed and really develop, in even the short time I've been watching it.
There's too much to write to go too in depth to it, but something I've learned from it is that if you ever go to Japan.. don't go in a traditional looking house with green pillars, because it's a brothel. There was something else I was going to mention, but I forgot :/.
I can't wait to finish off this arc and see what the next one is like, it's totally encaptured me.
Oh, it's also animated by Studio Pierrot so it has the same animation style as Naruto... so I'm hoping at some point in it we'll see something on the scale of Naruto and Sasuke's battle.

Oh, and on the disc there were some trailers, including Berserk, and it has totally made me want to see it as a top priority now, it just looks fantastic, totally my kind of thing.

Something totally off-topic, and for anyone reading this who wants to see something that I found totally amazing, take a look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpQeDr-jgOU
That blew me away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my 'Mecha Robots' set in the post today and I decided to watch Full Metal Panic! first and the first ep was great! I can see it being a series I'd properly collect!

Back