ADV Films shuts down?

CloudedMinds said:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-09-01/adv-films-shuts-down-transfers-assets-to-other-companies

Thats a real shame, wonder what effect it will have on ADV UK?

That ended many moons ago

This is probably the biggest piece of news I've heard in several months. I hope their titles will survive the transition to new companies, without sinking to the depths of Geneon Jones' Locker.

It's sad to read but really it's something that's been about to happen for a long time. I don't actually remember the last time I bought a new ADV title despite there once being a time when I'd have called them my favourite R1 company.

Their licensing folk are still going with the much smaller Sentai Filmworks. Again they don't really put out anything that interests me (He Is My Master will be my only purchase when I have a quiet month and pick it up and I'm not expecting it to be an A rank show).

R

:eek:

Bloody hell! (Pardon my language)

That hit me for six when I read it.
I never expected ADV to go down, what with the likes of FMP raking in the cash.
I wonder who will publish The Second Raid over here.

Holy Kira Yamato's boxers, Batman.
:?

It seems to me that this won't change anything since new licenses will continue to be released through Sentai. ADV as a label has been dead for a while, only now it's official.

Zin5ki said:
This is probably the biggest piece of news I've heard in several months. I hope their titles will survive the transition to new companies, without sinking to the depths of Geneon Jones' Locker.

Actually this news isn't that significant at all. They'd already abandoned the ADV name for new releases. Today's news is just a bunch of legal maneuvers to clear the debt they built up during their troubles over the past few years. All they're doing is reorganising in preparation for putting ADV into administration, so that they can clear their debt and continue releasing stuff as normal. The new companies are all registered at the same address and are owned by the same people (who are almost certainly the existing owners of ADV). The only noticeable difference this will make is that the ADV name will disappear for old titles as well as new ones.

They landed themselves in this situation a long time ago when they continued to license dozens and dozens of below average to awful shows that no one gave a crap about. I remember being amazed by each new license near their demise. Then they even had the cheek to blame the fans outright for their mistakes when they sold their entire stock for dirt cheap. Terrible.

Very sad news. Oh well. Hopefully Funi will pick up the slack.
Gundam Junkie said:
I never expected ADV to go down, what with the likes of FMP raking in the cash.
I wonder who will publish The Second Raid over here.
Funimation are the ones with the publishing rights to TSR.

The best thing about ADV was their Chrono Crusade manga releases. Lovely cover art, and they kept the colour pages inside. The only negative is how they randomly bolded words for no reason; as if the words were important when they weren't, or needed added emphasis when they didn't.

I don't have a lot else good to say about them. Their releases were cheap but they had waaaay too much rubbish licensed. And they were Eva whores; re-selling it over and over.

They were also responsible for some of the worst anime dubs of the DVD era in my opinion. All their 'actors' seemed to think being loud is how to be dramatic/funny/emotional and it was the same selection of voice actors constantly.

I also hate how they dicked around with Yotsuba's release. Thank god it finally got picked up by someone else who will hopefully treat it better.

I all due respects i kinda imaged this would happen, but silly of them really to have rescued titles from CPM when it filed for bankruptcy

and now may we lower our heads for a moment of peace.......

CloudedMinds said:
Any chance Clannad and After Story will be picked up by Funimation aswell? I hope so...

Those two licenses aren't owned by ADV. Like the recent CPM rescues, they're owned by an unrelated company called Sentai Filmworks. As such, it's almost certain that 'Section 23 Films', one of the new companies mentioned in the ANN article, will re-release them in the near future.

EDIT: Just seen this from the blog of a R1 anime retailer. The important bit is:
Section 23 has acquired all of ADV's former licenses and most of the staff (including Chris Oarr, Destiny, Michelle, everyone formerly at ADV that mattered), and is picking up publication and distribution of all former ADV titles, so the DVD's will remain available and our orders will just be processed and filled by the new company, so the changeover will be pretty much transparent to you guys. This includes pre-order items in the pipeline but not yet released.

All of ADV's licenses will still be available as normal from this new company

Replace the 'S' in Sentai with 'H' and the name might give off the wrong impression. Not the best label for an anime distributor to have.

Noratav said:
Actually this news isn't that significant at all. They'd already abandoned the ADV name for new releases. Today's news is just a bunch of legal maneuvers to clear the debt they built up during their troubles over the past few years. All they're doing is reorganising in preparation for putting ADV into administration, so that they can clear their debt and continue releasing stuff as normal. The new companies are all registered at the same address and are owned by the same people (who are almost certainly the existing owners of ADV). The only noticeable difference this will make is that the ADV name will disappear for old titles as well as new ones.
clever =)

is this sad... i feel like i should be.

but... i'm too excited to see what happens to the evangelion property!

do you think manga ent. uk will be far behind them?

i'de love funi to get nge/eoe.

Back