Advice for a budding artist, please!

i think it looks really good, and the colours complement you drawing style. i kind of like the way you have made the character stand of slightly from the background with definition in the colours. i am terrible with colours, mainly through colour blindness which is why i never colour any of my work in plus i like the black and white but from your work i can see that colour can really complement a piece if done right.

I thought this was amazing in black and white! It looks fantastic in colour!!! Keep it up (oh, and look out for me on deviant ART now, you've inspired me to submit some work and keep at it till I get as good as you!!!)

Okay! I've finally drawn something I'm really proud of! :D

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/28769273/

This is an actual character who's been running round in my head for a about a week, though I haven't settled on a name for him yet. He's a samurai, sort of inspired by a weird combination of Himura Kenshin and Sohma Kyou from Fruits Basket. If anyone has any good ideas for a name, I'd be happy to hear them.

I also think I've found a style I'm happy with. I don't know why, but this was significantly easier to draw than anything I've done up til now, even though it is much better (in my opinion, at least). What do you guys think? (crosses fingers....)

btw, this is a pencil drawing, and I haven't cleaned it up yet, much less coloured it.

Great work (not that I expect any less from you! :D ) Glad to see you've found a style you really like! Hopefully that'll mean you'll keep drawing more fantastic stuff like this! Which'll keep me happy, at least! Lol.

I really love the expression, whenever I try to draw something like that, they always look depressed!

Keep at it! :D

Thanks again guys. I'm really beginning to feel quite good about my drawing now.

And, Neko, thanks for the comment about the hair. Was just messing around, I've tried so many different techniques and none gave me what I wanted, and then it just happened... :D

Well, I've finished another one, started it yesterday morning and have done very little else since! I don't know whether this smacks of determination or just plain obsession....

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/28989984/

I think this is one of my favourites that you have done so far, just because i love that it's done in darkness, and i think it's a really good effect, i also love how you've done the light on the sword :)

Gorgeous backdrop! I love the whole traditional style thing you've got going here. I would have made a small point about proportion but on closer inspection it really works in the context of the picture! Another superb effort!

I am also rather a big fan of your avatar, just as a side note :wink:

Know what you mean about the proportion. It still bothers me, but perhaps that's because the perspective is a bit weird... :? Foreshortening is so difficult to get right.

And my avatar... Would that be the one on deviantart? If so, that's actually kind of a self portrait, though my eyes don't go that colour often these days. The one on here obviously isn't mine, but I'm a big fan of him myself... :wink:

Thanks. :D

The backgrounds were the things I was having the most trouble with (silly really), but I think I've found a way of doing them that suits me. Plus I've finally got the hang of using the airbrush tool. :)

Decided the other day to do something different. Since there are so many things that I really need to practise, I thought I'd draw something that incorporated all my weaknesses.

So, I ended up with this. I've always found women easier to draw, so it had to be a man. I've been having problems with fabrics (everything I draw right now hangs heavy), so I've tried my best to give it a light feel, and I've drawn both hands and both feet! I think it came out okay.

I'm currently in the process of cleaning this one up prior to colouring it (and perhaps trying screentone, too).

I think you can scrap the 'budding' part from the thread title now, because you're a fully fledged artist to me now! :D Great to see you pushing yourself rather than drawing what you already know you can!

Back