Advice for a budding artist, please!

Very nice :D Your folds put mine to shame! It's great to see you branching out and pushing yourself, keep at it!

(Also, I think the lack of background kinda works: gives an impression of isolation which is sort of supported by the expression... Or is that just me?)

I really like the vacant eyes on this one, don't know if that was intentional or just because you put them in when you colour, either way they give it a very different look!

Great work, as usual! :p

Afraid that's just the way I've taken to colouring eyes...

If I'm doing a full colour version, I tend not to draw details like pupils and light before hand, because I go for the look that's kinda like a coloured glass sphere.

I'm taking my time with colouring this one though, I've found a few very good tutorials on deviantart and am trying out some new techniques. :-D

Well, gonna start colouring that one this evening.

Finished the other one, though I'm not at all happy with the background and intend to redo it at some point. I've just got so monumentally frustrated with it right now though, so have posted it up....

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/30925947/

I think I may have taken the muted shades a little too far here. :roll:

that is really good :D , you do seem to have great talent in your drawing, i never really do colour my images in..but i shade them. your colouring is great for it also..the background is good also!. i agree with Where's my cow? also, i can't wait to see the one above this image coloured :)

Some more top notch work there! The background seems fine to me (I guess you're your own worse critic)

Keep 'em coming, it always reminds me why I started drawing when I see the stuff you do. :p (if I sound like I'm sucking up in anyway, I don't mean to! Lol! Just trying to appreciate work that I really like :wink: )

Hmm. Well, I've been reading a lot of Fruits Basket recently, so I've definately been influenced by it, though I wouldn't say I conciously used it for reference. :?

I mostly draw straight from my imagination (although I have to admit to using a pic of Kenshin for part of the pose for the one I'm inking now, and I'll bet it's going to come out a little like Watsuki's work...) but, like anybody who's still finding their style, what I do is going to be influenced at least a little by what I'm reading at the time I draw!

I do love her style though, and it seems to suit me a lot better than many others, so it'll probably continue to be a heavy influence. :wink:

Wow, your work is getting so, so good Siobhan, i'm especially loving your hair with these recent ones.
I think you've said before, but i was wondering what you use to do your line art, is it done on the computer

Thanks guys. It's always nice to be told you're doing okay! :D

Apart from the original sketch (done with a shiny new propelling pencil on A3 paper these days, makes such a difference), all my work is done on the computer.

At present I'm only using Photoshop, though I have heard good things about Open Canvas too, must check that out at some point. I use the path tool for my lineart, and then stroke the path with angled paintbrushes. This gives a nice varied line, as well as keeping it lovely and smooth (I do use a graphics tablet, but unlike plain drawing, this is something you can do with a mouse as well).

I found a very good tutorial on the technique here, even though it's for a different style of graphic art.

What surprised me is it takes at least as long to ink it this way as it does by hand, but the end result is definitely worth it. I'm still playing around with it at the moment...

Back