Anime Central to show Christmas marathons

Christmas TV has always had a reputation for being bad, but anime fans this year will be interested to know that Anime Central, Sky Channel 199, will be running Christmas marathons of their recent top shows starting Friday 21st December including:
<ul>
<li>Cowboy Bebop 21/12/07 &ndash; 23/12/07</li>
<li>Fullmetal Alchemist&nbsp; 24/12/07 &ndash; 29/12/07</li>
<li>Bleach 30/12/07 &ndash; 4/01/08</li>
</ul>
Also, starting from January 5th 2008 a fresh new line-up of shows will air including first runs of Mobile Suit Gundam Seed, s-Cry-ed and Witch Hunter Robin.

Out of the new shows, the only one i may catch is S-Cry-ed. I already own all the Gundam Seed volumes and Witch hunter robin never seemed to appeal to me. As for the full series/ season showings i kinda expected something like this, but as Espy said who will be watching the full 9-6 timeslot just to watch Bleach seasons 1 and 2?

Espy said:
So they're showing entire series non-stop? They assume people are going to stay awake for six days of Bleach?

glwt.

Well there might be a few dedicated souls out there with insomnia, but I rather think that various types of recording equipment will be working overtime instead!

Marathoning through Bebop and FMA over Christmas would be pretty damn awesome, though I must admit the new line-up of shows is fairly disappointing. I'd love to see some MVM, ADV and more Revelation anime on there... especially MVM, the likes of Gungrave and Haibane Renmei would sit well along side the likes of Bebop.

Paul said:
Marathoning through Bebop and FMA over Christmas would be pretty damn awesome, though I must admit the new line-up of shows is fairly disappointing. I'd love to see some MVM, ADV and more Revelation anime on there... especially MVM, the likes of Gungrave and Haibane Renmei would sit well along side the likes of Bebop.
The chances of Haibane Renmei are fairly slim, given what Mark said at AmeCon earlier this year. Basically the cost of a 13 episode show is the same as a 26 episode show, meaning it is effectively twice as expensive to get two 13 episode shows as it is to get a single series of 26 episodes (I mentioned, when we were asked what stuff we would like to see, Paranoia Agent to get this response). He also stated that they are interested in showing stuff from other distributors but the original lineup was made in conjunction with Bandai/BEEZ. Samurai Champloo and Samurai 7 were mentioned as two titles they found interesting.

Gawyn said:
Paul said:
The chances of Haibane Renmei are fairly slim, given what Mark said at AmeCon earlier this year. Basically the cost of a 13 episode show is the same as a 26 episode show, meaning it is effectively twice as expensive to get two 13 episode shows as it is to get a single series of 26 episodes (I mentioned, when we were asked what stuff we would like to see, Paranoia Agent to get this response). He also stated that they are interested in showing stuff from other distributors but the original lineup was made in conjunction with Bandai/BEEZ. Samurai Champloo and Samurai 7 were mentioned as two titles they found interesting.

While the chances of these titles appearing on animecentral might be slim, isn't it entirely possible that some other channels might be looking at anime.

As for MVM/Revelation, hasn't it been mentioned that they generally don't hold the broadcast rights for their titles.

J_C_X said:
Gawyn said:
Paul said:

While the chances of these titles appearing on animecentral might be slim, isn't it intirely possible that some other channels might be looking at anime.

As for MVM/Revelation, has'nt it been mentioned that they generally don't hold the broadcast rights for their titles.
I don't know about either of those but Manga have ceratinly made statements to that effect before now. The quote from Mark, however, was based upon the Japanese holders of the broadcast licences rather than any UK holders. From what Mark said they often have the same budget for a 13 episode series as they do for a 26 episode series and base their pricing on that rather than the quantity whereas a (UK) TV broadcaster is more concerned with the quantity and how much they can show for a given price. I can certainly see both sides of the argument and why AnimeCentral are a little cagey with regards to picking them up. The same principle is also quite likely to apply to other TV stations; when they can get 26 weeks of content for so much why would they get half as much content for the same price. Quality likely never enters the minds of the people in charge of scheduling where they are looking to fill up their time slots with whatever they can for as little as they can.

Gawyn said:
J_C_X said:
Gawyn said:
Paul said:

While the chances of these titles appearing on animecentral might be slim, isn't it intirely possible that some other channels might be looking at anime.

As for MVM/Revelation, has'nt it been mentioned that they generally don't hold the broadcast rights for their titles.
I don't know about either of those but Manga have ceratinly made statements to that effect before now. The quote from Mark, however, was based upon the Japanese holders of the broadcast licences rather than any UK holders. From what Mark said they often have the same budget for a 13 episode series as they do for a 26 episode series and base their pricing on that rather than the quantity whereas a (UK) TV broadcaster is more concerned with the quantity and how much they can show for a given price. I can certainly see both sides of the argument and why AnimeCentral are a little cagey with regards to picking them up. The same principle is also quite likely to apply to other TV stations; when they can get 26 weeks of content for so much why would they get half as much content for the same price. Quality likely never enters the minds of the people in charge of scheduling where they are looking to fill up their time slots with whatever they can for as little as they can.

I'm fully aware of the situation regarding 13 and 26 episodes anime. This practice is not unique to Japan, their American counterparts HBO, TNT, FX and Showtime have a similar procedure regarding their mini series and and full series. As they say quality over quantity.

Hell even the BBC do it.

By the way, I reported this with Ghibli news where's my credit? Nah, I'm cool. 8)

Don't have the intention of watching any but will probably end up watching them anyway. I haven't seen all of Gundam SEED yet and not seen S-cry-ed and Witch Hunter Robin at all, looking forward to that though.

After further inspection, I should be watching both. First s-Cry-ed, It seems to be the kind of thing that I like, I'll most probably end up watching Witch Hunter Robin as well, Since its on and its Sunrise. They rule. Not worried about Gundam though.

Gawyn said:
Paul said:
I'd like nothig more than to see Eureka 7 on the TV schedules once the DVDs are out in their entirety...I wonder if it would still be the same price at 50 episodes! *shrugs*

Bebop ought to go down a storm though, especially since the earlier episodes are pretty much self-contained so it won't be an issue if you miss one or two. Damn, I wish I had satellite...

My guess is that they will be replacing .Hack//SIGN, Cowboy Bebop and Wolf's Rain, though by rights they should be replacing Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex as that will have finished its second run as well, and i wonder if they will be replacing Transformers once Victroy has run its course

BlackWolf said:
Out of the new shows, the only one i may catch is S-Cry-ed. I already own all the Gundam Seed volumes and Witch hunter robin never seemed to appeal to me. As for the full series/ season showings i kinda expected something like this, but as Espy said who will be watching the full 9-6 timeslot just to watch Bleach seasons 1 and 2?
Same here. I really want to see S-Cry-ed and I might check out Witch hunter Robin but I own all of the first series of Gundam Seed.

any idea what the others are, or are they still showing some of the current series past that date?

Back