UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

britguy said:
As mentioned before, a lot of it is comparing what this set is with what anime limited usually put out and not perceiving much difference in value. Exactly what is hideous about that?
Because you would not do this with, say, an art dealer, but you would make that kind of comparison with someone selling you popcorn at the cinema. I think it is a nasty symptom of the now near-total spread of consumerism, although by no means the only (or even worst) one apparent in anime fandom.

ilmaestro said:
britguy said:
As mentioned before, a lot of it is comparing what this set is with what anime limited usually put out and not perceiving much difference in value. Exactly what is hideous about that?
Because you would not do this with, say, an art dealer, but you would make that kind of comparison with someone selling you popcorn at the cinema. I think it is a nasty symptom of the now near-total spread of consumerism, although by no means the only (or even worst) one apparent in anime fandom.

But to some a piece of art is worth millions. To others nothing. Same situation here.

I get if you think this price is fair but to call someones views hideous and may, purely because they don't see value, is wrong.

britguy said:
ilmaestro said:
britguy said:

But to some a piece of art is worth millions. To others nothing. Same situation here.
Of course I agree, but not because of "how many episodes" it is. ^^; At least, not in many conversations worth having.

Ultimately I respect your final position of "it is what it is, and I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it despite thinking it should be cheaper" a lot, but I think far too many people take it as some bizarre insult to their self-assumed "right to anime" when they see a release like this one of Zankyou no Terror.

britguy said:
I get if you think this price is fair but to call someones views hideous and may, purely because they don't see value, is wrong.
Perhaps vulgar is a better word than hideous, then. I am not "really" interested in whether people want to buy this show (or any show), more the fact that discussion of "value" (and by "value", I actually mean "price per minute of animation GODDAM I NEED MY POUND OF FLESH BACK") so often seems to override discussion of literally anything more interesting.

At the end of the day, my primary concern was not that I couldn't afford it, but that potentially a lot of other fans wouldn't be able to afford it or wouldn't be able to see the value in it, and that a release like this bombing could ultimately ( no pun :p) hurt Anime Limited and then even put an end to ultimate editions.

Reading Andrews posts on the previous page, they seem confident enough that even if it doesn't sell extremely well, they'll at least break even and with standard editions, likely make a profit in it down the line, so that fear seems unfounded at least :)

britguy said:
and that a release like this bombing could ultimately ( no pun :p) hurt Anime Limited and then even put an end to ultimate editions.
That's a far more interesting angle to the discussion, but I think easy to lose in amongst anything other than a more dedicated topic.

I did also enjoy reading back on the post that I initially replied to, seeing your comment of "but even I've got a limit!". Well, I'm glad they didn't hit it yet, because this series is excellent. :p

In other news, my Mobile Suit Gundam package has arrived. However I can't open it until Christmas Day.

I requested it to be ordered via Shop AllTheAnime and I won't be able to check the contents until that faithful day. But I can tell you that they got the address wrong - they sent it to 34a instead of 36a. :lol:

ilmaestro said:
Perhaps vulgar is a better word than hideous, then. I am not "really" interested in whether people want to buy this show (or any show), more the fact that discussion of "value" (and by "value", I actually mean "price per minute of animation GODDAM I NEED MY POUND OF FLESH BACK") so often seems to override discussion of literally anything more interesting.

I'm sure you're not saying otherwise, but it's worth pointing out that length does translate into value insomuch as it increases the production costs through both disc count, production time, QC time and BBFC fees. I'm going to be willing to pay a lot more for Urusei Yatsura than I would for FLCL.

Obviously, we attach personal value to the art itself but it's hard to discuss that due to it's subjective nature. Would I be willing to pay £50 for a release of Angel's Egg? Quite possibly. Cowboy Bebop the Movie? No.

I think saying that running length and value for money should never come into play is silly. How can you comment on the artistic value of something you've never seen? (I have personally seen Terror in Resonance, but that's not really the point.) Therefore for a lot of people with limited funds "value for money" is the only way of picking what to buy...

I also think any attempt to link artistic value and commercial value is silly. Most people wouldn't pay a lot to read Sherlock Holmes, because it's public domain and they don't have to, does that mean they think the novels are artistically worthless? Of course not.

Buzz201 said:
How can you comment on the artistic value of something you've never seen?
I would say this is a large and intrinsic problem for the Western anime market as it has operated to this point. It is certainly being worked against by the giant strides being made in streaming services, but there is still a very long way to go.

If someone is purely after "value for money", however, I do not think home video has ever been the ideal pursuit for that person. I would recommend reading, fishing, chess, or a great number of other pastimes.

There is a lot of discussion on the Terror in Resonance Ultimate so thought I'd throw my opinions in :)

I completely respect everyone's opinions and can see where they're coming from. I think my opinions mostly align with Britguy's in that the fear is we've finally got a worthwhile anime company so we want a release to sell well, but this seems like a massive misstep in terms of releases for them. And possibly a potential "failure".

There's a standard DVD for £25ish and the Ultimate Blu/DVD for £90ish. So if you want the Blu have HAVE to buy the Ultimate. There'll be a standard Blu as is AL practice when the Ultimate sells out... 1,000 print run is the minimum I remember reading so that won't happen anytime soon. Especially if most people decide to wait for Amazon/Zavvi to reduce the price.
When they revealed visuals the other week I posted I expected a £80-90 price tag and asked why no Collector's edition? (Please forgive me if it was answered but I couldn't find the post) as I'm sure most of you will know the French @anime release has a Collector's Edition [spoilerbutton]
BzPSkN4.jpg
[/spoilerbutton] a plain rigid box with O card ala Patema or Royal Space Force. So why didn't we get this? It's the middle ground of Blu only and is nothing more than an English localised O card and discs, easily done. Even Andrew has said people loved TiR, people hated it, and people were meh so why are we only given the option of the Ultimate edition if we want the show on blu ray?

My fear is Anime Limited have dropped a lot of change on the license and need to recoup. I think most will agree the ultimate looks very nice and a lot of time & effort has gone into it but if there was a collector's edition available as well £60srp £40 selling price we'd buy that instead. I think AL know that as well so aren't giving that option because they need us to buy this one. Its a business tactic and happens everyday but it diminishes the Ultimate Edition if you're only doing it to recoup money and not because the fans wanted it.

I enjoyed the show but didn't think it was amazing, something I'd like to pick up at some point but definitely not for over £40. I'm not the kind to import US versions of shows that are available in the UK so shall wait for the 'standard' amaray release of Terror in Resonance :)
I'm sure they'll get around to it after standard blu ray releases of Blood Lad, Kill la Kill, Space Dandy season 2, re:cyborg 009, Royal Space Force, and the Tiger & Bunny movies.

I haven't really said specifically what I thought about the release, so here goes. I like the show, but it certainly wasn't the most amazing show ever, and it's probably not one I would go back to very often. It was however the first anime I watched as it was being simulcast, and for silly sentimental reasons I wanted a copy and I'm quite interested in the booklet, so I figured I might end up going for the nicer first edition put out. However, I can't justify dropping £91 on a single purchase, especially for a series that I'm kind of mixed on, has not got a lot of replay value and isn't very long.

Even as somebody who really wants a copy of the show, I can't justify that pricetag based on the proposition offered, and I think AL are really going to struggle to find people who can. I would however note that the RRP is quite high in the US too, so maybe there's something going on behind the scenes Andrew can't talk about.

I could somewhat justifiy the pricing if the soundtrack had been included because it was simply amazing but it is quite rare to see anime soundtracks included in CEs compared to German, US and Japanese releases.

Robbl said:
I could somewhat justifiy the pricing if the soundtrack had been included because it was simply amazing but it is quite rare to see anime soundtracks included in CEs compared to German, US and Japanese releases.

Andrew has said that soundtrack licensing is very difficult to pull off. In the case of TIR, the series was licensed by Fuji Creative Corporation, whilst I believe the soundtrack was released by Aniplex, so that probably made it very difficult for AL to do.

TBH I wouldn't have thought this series warranted an 'Ultimate edition'. This really should be reserved for really special titles. I agree with Jon O Fun that a CE would have been more appropriate.

On a different note all together, it will be interesting to see what they do with Claymore as there is already a US Blu Ray out which plays in the UK so they will have to be careful with pricing. Im holding off to see what they do with it, hopefully something similar to the Baccano recent release both in terms of content & pricing.

I can see why they went for an Ultimate Edition, but I figured the pricing would be scaled contents wise, so Terror in Resonance wouldn't be similar in price/more expensive than Full Metal Panic!.

Buzz201 said:
Robbl said:

Andrew has said that soundtrack licensing is very difficult to pull off. In the case of TIR, the series was licensed by Fuji Creative Corporation, whilst I believe the soundtrack was released by Aniplex, so that probably made it very difficult for AL to do.

That's why I said I could've somewhat justified the price if they had pulled it off. In Germany we had soundtracks for Fate/stay night, SAO II, Akame Ga Kill, Garden of Sinners and Shingeki no Bahamut, No Game No Life. so I'm surprised that getting soundtrack rights is hard.

Robbl said:
That's why I said I could've somewhat justified the price if they had pulled it off. In Germany we had soundtracks for Fate/stay night, SAO II, Akame Ga Kill, Garden of Sinners and Shingeki no Bahamut. so I'm surprised that getting soundtrack rights is hard.

Well, look at the shows you've listed. F/SN, SAO II and Garden of Sinners are all Aniplex titles. Aniplex being part of a record label (Sony Music Entertainment), it's probably easier for them to do. English rights to Aniplex titles are handled by Aniplex of America, who are known for restricting access to bonus features, so that could explain why we didn't get them.

Akame ga Kill is handled by Toho Animation, who own their own record label, Toho Animation Records, so that's probably easier to pull off.

NormanicGrav said:
In other news, my Mobile Suit Gundam package has arrived. However I can't open it until Christmas Day.

I requested it to be ordered via Shop AllTheAnime and I won't be able to check the contents until that faithful day. But I can tell you that they got the address wrong - they sent it to 34a instead of 36a. :lol:

Oops! Must have been a manual error on our fulfilment side because it's definitely correct on the order slip we sent their way...

Glad it arrived safely!

AP

anime_andrew said:
NormanicGrav said:

Oops! Must have been a manual error on our fulfilment side because it's definitely correct on the order slip we sent their way...

Glad it arrived safely!

AP

Indeed, I look forward to char my way through my first Gundam show. I've gone through Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1, 3 & Reborn so I know bits and bobs about the characters but I'm excited to check out the very first one.

Back