UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Jon O Fun said:
There is a lot of discussion on the Terror in Resonance Ultimate so thought I'd throw my opinions in :)

The more the merrier!

Jon O Fun said:
I completely respect everyone's opinions and can see where they're coming from. I think my opinions mostly align with Britguy's in that the fear is we've finally got a worthwhile anime company so we want a release to sell well, but this seems like a massive misstep in terms of releases for them. And possibly a potential "failure".

There's a standard DVD for £25ish and the Ultimate Blu/DVD for £90ish. So if you want the Blu have HAVE to buy the Ultimate. There'll be a standard Blu as is AL practice when the Ultimate sells out... 1,000 print run is the minimum I remember reading so that won't happen anytime soon. Especially if most people decide to wait for Amazon/Zavvi to reduce the price.

You've not read backwards here I am assuming, I already said we'll be doing a standard Blu-Ray as well but as it's in Q2 it hasn't listed yet - TiR Ultimate & DVD listed as I wanted to have the discussion now on pricing :). The BD standard will come out about same time difference as Gurren Lagann Ultimate to standard BD was (which wasn't super long).

Jon O Fun said:
When they revealed visuals the other week I posted I expected a £80-90 price tag and asked why no Collector's edition? (Please forgive me if it was answered but I couldn't find the post) as I'm sure most of you will know the French @anime release has a Collector's Edition [spoilerbutton]
BzPSkN4.jpg
[/spoilerbutton] a plain rigid box with O card ala Patema or Royal Space Force. So why didn't we get this? It's the middle ground of Blu only and is nothing more than an English localised O card and discs, easily done. Even Andrew has said people loved TiR, people hated it, and people were meh so why are we only given the option of the Ultimate edition if we want the show on blu ray?

Because it's a boring proposition and the wealth of information available in the Japanese release was so high and we were allowed to use it all so it would have been a criminal shame to just leave it by the wayside. The title is not popular enough to merit both an Ultimate and a Collector's Edition so a choice had to be made on it and a larger book won-out :).

Jon O Fun said:
My fear is Anime Limited have dropped a lot of change on the license and need to recoup. I think most will agree the ultimate looks very nice and a lot of time & effort has gone into it but if there was a collector's edition available as well £60srp £40 selling price we'd buy that instead. I think AL know that as well so aren't giving that option because they need us to buy this one. Its a business tactic and happens everyday but it diminishes the Ultimate Edition if you're only doing it to recoup money and not because the fans wanted it.

Business has nothing to do with it on this one - we wanted to design a product that made the most of the assets we had and gave you guys something special. It's rare this kind of situation crops up for this kind of show and while we understand that prices it upwards of the usual for even a Collector's Edition of an 11 episode series it's a big ask, we figured it's a risk worth taking in this case.

Worth pointing out here again is if I wanted to force you all to buy the more expensive one I'd not release a £24.99 DVD version or on a near time delay I'd not release a £34.99 BD one. That said, what would be insane is to do a Collector's AND an Ultimate at the same time as it doubles the most expensive element of the product mix and just makes no sense whatsoever for this kind of series.

So in terms of making money back - it would have made no sense to just generate an Ultimate but creatively sometimes it's worth rolling the die on if people agree with what we want as a product :).

TL;DR - Absolutely not true on doing it to recoup money because we know it's a big ask and so it'll be a slower seller, but it was the right thing to do for this release in our opinion and we'll have an alternate option not far behind for those not interested :).

Jon O Fun said:
I enjoyed the show but didn't think it was amazing, something I'd like to pick up at some point but definitely not for over £40. I'm not the kind to import US versions of shows that are available in the UK so shall wait for the 'standard' amaray release of Terror in Resonance :)
I'm sure they'll get around to it after standard blu ray releases of Blood Lad, Kill la Kill, Space Dandy season 2, re:cyborg 009, Royal Space Force, and the Tiger & Bunny movies.

Then you'll be waiting significantly less time than the majority of the above as I say above :)!

Hope this helps as I'm thinking I probably was not clear enough while on the move between timezones!

AP

Buzz201 said:
I haven't really said specifically what I thought about the release, so here goes. I like the show, but it certainly wasn't the most amazing show ever, and it's probably not one I would go back to very often. It was however the first anime I watched as it was being simulcast, and for silly sentimental reasons I wanted a copy and I'm quite interested in the booklet, so I figured I might end up going for the nicer first edition put out. However, I can't justify dropping £91 on a single purchase, especially for a series that I'm kind of mixed on, has not got a lot of replay value and isn't very long.

Even as somebody who really wants a copy of the show, I can't justify that pricetag based on the proposition offered, and I think AL are really going to struggle to find people who can. I would however note that the RRP is quite high in the US too, so maybe there's something going on behind the scenes Andrew can't talk about.

What I would say is - keep an eye out early on in our Christmas sale on AlltheAnime.com - I've prepared a special treat for people with this point in mind :)...

Nothing to my knowledge going on behind the scenes though too btw!

Best,

AP

Buzz201 said:
I can see why they went for an Ultimate Edition, but I figured the pricing would be scaled contents wise, so Terror in Resonance wouldn't be similar in price/more expensive than Full Metal Panic!.

I'd guess the price will drop on Amazon at some point - their pricing algorithm can be a bit odd sometimes though alas!

AP

anime_andrew said:
What I would say is - keep an eye out early on in our Christmas sale on AlltheAnime.com - I've prepared a special treat for people with this point in mind :)...

Best,

AP

I wonder if this was always planned or if it has been spurred on by the negative reaction?

I'll keep an eye out on the sale, hopefully for gundam origin ;)

anime_andrew said:

Best,

AP

Cool :D

Not sure I'll have the money, especially since it's nearly Christmas, but it's great for people that do. I guess I'll just have to hope Zavvi drop their prices.

Buzz201 said:
Cool :D

Not sure I'll have the money, especially since it's nearly Christmas, but it's great for people that do. I guess I'll just have to hope Zavvi drop their prices.

Im sure it'll go down to about 70 quid At most places between now and the release day in April :)

The Terror in Resonance discussion going on is rather interesting as personally I am a massive fan of the series and I would have picked it up at some point anyway as I want to watch it again, but the ultimate edition means it's now a day one purchases and I'm getting everything out of it that I really wanted - although I probably hold the book in a higher regard to a few others because of how deep my feelings for Terror in Resonance run.

Between the books in the first Kill la Kill set and the one with Giovanni's Island I know that what is being bundled with Terror in Resonance is worth the extra cost for the Ultimate set rather than waiting out a standard Blu-ray release. I really respect that Andrew knows this is likely to be a slower sell due to the expense and perhaps the feeling of the market toward this title, broadly speaking, but I'm glad we have someone like Anime Limited willing to take a risk on certain shows as had it just been a bare-bones release from someone else I wouldn't be snapping it up as quickly as I want some extras due to it being a favourite of mine. I'm just glad we've had the choice between an Ultimate and a standard set when it's released a bit later on. :)

I can't say I'm happy to be paying £90 but I'll be massively surprised if the set hasn't slipped to £75-80 on Amazon by the time April rolls around and I am happy paying that kinda cost for something I personally see a lot of value in and will look over and watch a fair amount of times. All this choice really boils down to is personal preference, Anime Limited have done a lot of Ultimate and Collectors sets that I just don't see the worth in, but some anime fan somewhere will as is the case with Terror in Resonance and me. xD

britguy said:
anime_andrew said:

Best,

AP

I wonder if this was always planned or if it has been spurred on by the negative reaction?

Always planned in fact along with a few other properties as an experiment :).

Gundam Origin won't be in the sales either I am afraid! Nor will anything released from September 1st onwards ^^.

AP

I am excited for the hints towards pre-orders potentially going on the site for a special price soon.

I've put my pre-order in for Terror In Resonance. I quite enjoyed the show, and find what will be (presumably) a £65 release by the time discounts hit, is worth what is being included. It's all about how each customer values a particular item. Obviously the book isn't a draw for people who just want the series, but I really do and find the value worth it for what we are getting in it. To me it adds in a special value to the release, and the large artbox for Ultimate Editions make it a nice display piece as well.

Compare that to the Akame Ga Kill, which has stickers and transfers (and only a slightly lower RRP). I value more a large sized artbook to that sort of thing. Hence me only getting the standard Blu-Ray of that.
Take a series like Prism Illiya. I think it was around £35-£36 for a chipboard box and a few cards and a small book. £30 more will get me a large book with Terror In Resonance.

Speaking of artbooks: When Mai Mai Miracle is released, are there still plans to sell the artbook separately? I only funded the Kickstarter for the Collector's Blu-Ray and didn't get the artbook version, much to my regret.

Elaniel said:
I am excited for the hints towards pre-orders potentially going on the site for a special price soon.

I put my pre-order in straight away for Terror In Resonance. I quite enjoyed the show, and find what will be (presumably) a £65 release by the time discounts hit, is worth what is being included. It's all about how each customer values a particular item. Obviously the book isn't a draw for people who just want the series, but I really do and find the value worth it for what we are getting in it. To me it adds in a special value to the release, and the large artbox for Ultimate Editions make it a nice display piece as well.

Compare that to the Akame Ga Kill, which has stickers and transfers (and only a slightly lower RRP). I value more a large sized artbook to that sort of thing.

Perhaps it's only in my eyes, but take a series like Prism Illiya. I think it was around £35-£36 for a chipboard box and a few cards and a small book. £30 more will get me a large book with Terror In Resonance.

Speaking of artbooks, when Mai Mai Miracle is released, are there still plans to sell the artbook separately? I sadly only funded for the Collector's Blu-Ray and didn't get the artbook version on the Kickstarter, much to my regret.

Akame ga Kill should also include a 100p artbook if Animatsu are matching the US release.

anime_andrew said:
britguy said:
anime_andrew said:

Best,

AP

Always planned in fact along with a few other properties as an experiment :).

Gundam Origin won't be in the sales either I am afraid! Nor will anything released from September 1st onwards ^^.

AP

Balls. Seeing it on sale over on right stuf (trsi) made me think we had a chance to see the same here. Ah well :)

Buzz201 said:
Akame ga Kill should also include a 100p artbook if Animatsu are matching the US release.

I thought it was much smaller than that. Is it hardcover? Will it include as much detail as an Anime Limited book has come to be known for or be the same size (not just length)? Or is it going to just be stills of the anime? (Honestly asking, as I don't have any of their books barring the HotD one.)

Hi elaniel, It's a hardcover book (unsure if it's DVD or BD sized) and looking at the images available, it seems rather in depth, and with the potential for a lot of "staff comments" littered all over the place. You can view large images of the set here and there are two pictures of the book and some of the pages

http://www.rightstufanime.com/Akame-ga- ... on-Blu-ray

Personally I think the asking price for both the AgK sets and the TiR sets are too high, but the market and initial/lifetime sales will eventually show whether they are or not

Elaniel said:
I thought it was much smaller than that. Is it hardcover? Will it include as much detail as an Anime Limited book has come to be known for? Or is it going to just be stills of the anime? (Honestly asking, as I don't have any of their books barring the HotD one.)

Don't know. Don't own any. Don't think so, they haven't said much, but I think they're replicating the JP booklets.

black1blade said:
You've got to remember, zankyou no terror is actually good making it worth more money than AGK.

Or not. The difference is Terror in Resonance aims high and fails, Akame ga Kill aims low and mostly succeeds...

black1blade said:
I'm not saying terror is the best thing ever but it's still better than akame. Zankyou also looks really nice.

Just because you like one thing more than another doesn't mean everyone does, to some, Akame Ga Kill may be the holy grail of anime :p

britguy said:
black1blade said:
I'm not saying terror is the best thing ever but it's still better than akame. Zankyou also looks really nice.

Just because you like one thing more than another doesn't mean everyone does, to some, Akame Ga Kill may be the holy grail of anime :p

Agreed, everyone has a different opinion. That's sort of what I'm trying to say. Just because someone doesn't think a title is worth a particular price, doesn't mean others don't. (Wow... used lots of double negatives in that sentence!)

One person may think Terror In Resonance is worth the price, another won't.

I never said Akame ga Kill was good, I do in fact prefer Terror in Resonance. I would not however say that TIR was more valuable than AgK or that either AgK or TIR was the holy grail of anime.

Back