UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Jatz said:
Received my copy today, too. The build quality of the artbox is great, even if I'm a little annoyed with no logo on the spine. The art book is pretty nice, but the paper quality is kind of disappointing (especially when you compare it to the booklets in their other releases).

Being a packaging nerd here - allow me to explain why paper types vary from product to product - that one is actually a kind of art paper and not the cheapest. It's designed to work well with sketches primarily (which a large portion of the artwork received was).

We vary types of paper depending on artwork by and large there and I'm glad the difference is noticeable as that's a design choice :). Am sorry you find it disappointing though too!

AP

britguy said:
For me, the only issue is the general plainness of the set, but I guess that was a design choice in keeping with a military style design as well as the fact that AL were limited with what they could actually use. It's just a rather bland looking set overall.

With TTGL you have some great art on the slip, excellent art all around the box, then loads more art on the digipack, but with FMP you have one simple character piece on the cover of the box, a logo on the back, a logo on the back of the artbook, a pencil mecha on the artbook cover and single character shots on the amaray, there just isn't any comparison.

Still, I like it overall and look forward to watching it all.

Opinions vary quite a lot on this one and materials depend on shows - I've covered this one earlier in the thread really but yeah in short we just didn't have much to work from on this one and nothing that differed from other releases so I took it in a different direction from normal. One of the rare cases my design choices seem to differ drastically from many fans tastes it would seem!

AP

Gotta say, I have the RightStuf! Turn A sets here, and the PQ leaves something to be desired. I'm not a fan of the jaggies on everything.

That said, the latest version of VLC has a de-interlace setting that cleans it right up. Although the name of it escapes me right now.

anime_andrew said:
Opinions vary quite a lot on this one and materials depend on shows - I've covered this one earlier in the thread really but yeah in short we just didn't have much to work from on this one and nothing that differed from other releases so I took it in a different direction from normal. One of the rare cases my design choices seem to differ drastically from many fans tastes it would seem!

AP

The most important part is that I said I quite like it overall :) I can definitely get what you were trying to do and understand what you were limited to. Being the weakest design of your ultimate editions in my eyes doesnt necessarily mean it's bad as the other three are exceptionally good!

thedoctor2016 said:
Now Ive started Turn A (Using JP BD) it such a shame that we are getting DVD, as it looks 10x better than 0079 HD and i loved 0079.
Turn A is apparently the only Gundam series done entirely on 35mm film. The rest of the older series are done on 16mm.
For comparison sake, if you've seen the Eva BDs the gorgeous OP/ED sequences were done on 35mm, whilst the episode content was on 16mm.
That said I wouldn't expect the Turn A BDs to look as good as Eva since Sunrise love DNR'ing Gundam to death.

Mangaranga said:
thedoctor2016 said:
Now Ive started Turn A (Using JP BD) it such a shame that we are getting DVD, as it looks 10x better than 0079 HD and i loved 0079.
Turn A is apparently the only Gundam series done entirely on 35mm film. The rest of the older series are done on 16mm.
For comparison sake, if you've seen the Eva BDs the gorgeous OP/ED sequences were done on 35mm, whilst the episode content was on 16mm.

As soon as I saw the MCs face I knew the BD will be amazing as they are stunning

anime_andrew said:
Being a packaging nerd here - allow me to explain why paper types vary from product to product - that one is actually a kind of art paper and not the cheapest. It's designed to work well with sketches primarily (which a large portion of the artwork received was).

We vary types of paper depending on artwork by and large there and I'm glad the difference is noticeable as that's a design choice :). Am sorry you find it disappointing though too!

AP

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying. I probably should've worded it differently, because I still like the artbook. Was just wondering why the paper used was different. :)

These Anime Limited announcements over the past few months have been hype.

977eaad30d77ab9716e122a75a10bb3b.gif

*Just had to use the gif, it's hilarious*

thedoctor2016 said:
Still no free or God Eater though. Still pretty good line up for 2016.

Every single time :lol:

I was looking at the Japanese releases of these as a way to dip my toes in that area, but happy AL have the series instead as I don't need to go near Japanese importing just yet!

I was hoping somebody would get Buddy Complex, but I didn't think anyone actually would, especially after FUNimation went sub-only. Thanks Andrew :D

sniper_samurai said:
I think this image from the Hackadolls Shirobako episode sums up God Eater pretty well.
[spoilerbutton]
q4szaUs.png
[/spoilerbutton]

Don't say that, you'll start him off about how the show was only overlooked because of production issues.

No, I think we can objectively call the writing on that show bad. It gave the MC a sidekick in the first episode, as well as a love interest, and the sidekick dissappears without trace or mention, and IIRC the love interest/mechanic appears for about 10 seconds in another episode. Introducing characters like that, only for them not to appear in the next two episodes is just bad writing, and it's not subjectively bad, it's just bad.

Add that to the fact the design of the show looks like Mega Bloks: The Anime, and you can see why I dropped it after 3 episodes...

I didn't think any of them were summary episodes. And they appear later, there all on Lindow's team. And she is brainwashed atm. Also God Eater BD for EP1 does fix a lot of the issues.

thedoctor2016 said:
I didn't think any of them were summary episodes. And they appear later, there all on Lindow's team. And she is brainwashed atm. Also God Eater BD for EP1 does fix a lot of the issues.

I'm sorry, but sidelining them completely to the point of not appearing for 2 (maybe more) episodes without explanation is just poor writing. I mean, even just a brief shot of them calling him an idiot would surfice, but they couldn't even do that.

Back