Anime UK DVD: Best Series of 2006

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Fudce of the AnimeOnDVD forums has got in contact to let us know that he is currently organizing an anime UK DVD "Best Series of 2006" poll. Through out the year he has been running monthly DVD awards and all those winners and runners up are now facing off against each other (the list includes diverse anime from Naruto to Haibane Renmei).

The current poll is for preliminary voting - the aim of which is to whittle down the competition to a mere 15 series, so if you've been buying UK anime DVDs during the last year - why not head on over to AnimeOnDVD and show your support?

Thanks for letting folks know about the preliminary voting for "Best Series of 2006". To clear up a few things, this award is not the one which has been voted for throughout the year. Every series that had at least one volume released between Nov 2005 & Oct 2006 is eligible.

The main awards voting will start in December, with the 15 series that get the most votes here, and the other categories listed on the end-of-year awards page.

Rukario said:
... so I have to join to vote?

It's an unfortunate consequence of having the poll at AoD, the upside of it being that we can have a trully 'blind' vote, where nobody knows the result until the voting is over.

Joining takes a couple of minutes at most, you'll only ever have to do it once, and there's no spam involved!
I do ask that as many people who can take part in the polls do, so that the results are as decisive as they can be.

While folks are at the AoD R2E forums, they can also check out the DVD of the Month (September) poll. It ends on Sunday (at which point the DVD of the Month - October poll will start)

You need to be registered to vote, but you're banned (if I remember correctly). I'm not sure how to rectify that without making it look like I'm messing with the results sorry Grant.

Fudce said:
You need to be registered to vote, but you're banned (if I remember correctly). I'm not sure how to rectify that without making it look like I'm messing with the results sorry Grant.

Actaully I asked Chris to restore my account and he did, then a few days later I asked for it to be closed

Just thought I'd update you on the nomination process. The votes have been counted, and the shortlist of sixteen (short being a rather stretched term) series is ready. Voting for the final "Best Series of 2006" as well as the other categories start on Sunday, and I'll provide information on how to vote then.

The final sixteen are:
  • * Chrono Crusade (ADV Films)
    * Crest of the Stars (Beez Entertainment)
    * Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (ADV Films)
    * Fullmetal Alchemist (MVM Films)
    * Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Manga Entertainment)
    * Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 2nd Gig (Manga Entertainment)
    * Gunslinger Girl (MVM Films)
    * Haibane Renmei (MVM Films)
    * My HiME (Beez Entertainment)
    * Naruto Unleashed (Manga Entertainment)
    * Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Edition (ADV Films)
    * Paranoia Agent (MVM Films)
    * Planetes (Beez Entertainment)
    * R.O.D. the TV (MVM Films)
    * Samurai 7 (MVM Films)
    * Wolf's Rain (Beez Entertainment)

Fudce said:
The final sixteen are:
  • * Chrono Crusade (ADV Films)
    * Crest of the Stars (Beez Entertainment)
    * Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (ADV Films)
    * Fullmetal Alchemist (MVM Films)
    * Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Manga Entertainment)
    * Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 2nd Gig (Manga Entertainment)
    * Gunslinger Girl (MVM Films)
    * Haibane Renmei (MVM Films)
    * My HiME (Beez Entertainment)
    * Naruto Unleashed (Manga Entertainment)
    * Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Edition (ADV Films)
    * Paranoia Agent (MVM Films)
    * Planetes (Beez Entertainment)
    * R.O.D. the TV (MVM Films)
    * Samurai 7 (MVM Films)
    * Wolf's Rain (Beez Entertainment)

HOW THE HELL DID CHAMPLOO NOT MAKE IT INTO A LIST THAT LONG YET SAMURAI 7 and ROD TV DID?????

Looks like GITS SAC will be getting my vote tomorrow then

Samurai Champloo did get votes, but it was in a very close group and narrowly missed out on the final round. Both R.O.D. and Samurai 7 were in the same group, and made it through as group winner and runner up respectivly.

Samurai Champloo's plotline isn't all that great, regardless of it's truly awesome fighting scenes, maybe it's why it never got put it... but against Samurai 7... what!?

McIcy said:
HOW THE HELL DID CHAMPLOO NOT MAKE IT INTO A LIST THAT LONG YET SAMURAI 7 and ROD TV DID?????

Heh! I thought Samurai Champloo might even win it. Shocked it's not in there.

...and where the hell is Elfen Lied?! :shock:

7zark7 said:

As excellent as Elfen Lied is I wasn’t too surprised not to see it there as it not really loved by all. A lot of people seem put off by the violence and the fan service.

harkins said:
7zark7 said:

As excellent as Elfen Lied is I wasn’t too surprised not to see it there as it not really loved by all. A lot of people seem put off by the violence and the fan service.
You act like they're unjust reasons...

Espy said:
harkins said:
7zark7 said:

You act like they're unjust reasons...

No, not at all. I liked it but I don’t have any beef with anyone who doesn’t. I hold my hands up and admit that it was pushing it a bit in several aspects.

harkins said:
7zark7 said:

Really? Oh - that's a shame. It's their loss I suppose - I personally think it was a brilliant series.

Back