UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

That is very annoying to hear with Re: Zero 2, I didn't pre-order it but I was certainly planning to get it soon. Funimation buying out Manga has turned out to be the worst thing that could have happened.

That is very annoying to hear with Re: Zero 2, I didn't pre-order it but I was certainly planning to get it soon. Funimation buying out Manga has turned out to be the worst thing that could have happened.
We'd still be in this crappy situation if they didn't. The biggest thing messing up the home video market is the Funimation/Crunchyroll merger. We're essentially back to the dark times of their content sharing agreement wrt home releases, Australia would be getting it just as badly if it required more than sticking AUS rating stickers on US stock.

That would also work here if it wasn't a legal requirement by the BBFC to have the rating printed on the disc.

For the people saying it will be relisted...

Hanners has said this in the AUKN discord, so seems unlikely to reappear imo.

HannersToday at 14:44​

Yes, we'll be cancelling orders on our store in due course too - Crunchyroll are no longer releasing the title in the UK

HannersToday at 14:46​

I've been told it won't be relisted by Crunchyroll

For the people saying it will be relisted...

Hanners has said this in the AUKN discord, so seems unlikely to reappear imo.
So it seems they errantly listed a title for release in a territory they don't have home video rights to. Hopefully this means AL can release it at a later date.

Best case scenario is that AL will be able to get it, isn't the first time this has happened though as I remember that Manga, Funi or Crunchy (whatever they were at the time) listed Fairy Tail: Dragon Cry despite AL still actively holding the license and was later removed.

If this is a situation where Crunchyroll have decided to completely cut the UK release despite being a popular title that is mind baffling (even for their low standards already).

Only other scenario is that it has something to do with the JP license holders.

It came out years ago on the streaming service so if they are witholding it to try and boost subscription numbers that ship has sailed.

What on god's green earth could the reason possibly be to go through all that effort to create a collectors edition which I would never assume to be any small feat no matter how big the company is, to just cancel it world wide a few days before release and not give any reason.

Best case scenario is that AL will be able to get it, isn't the first time this has happened though as I remember that Manga, Funi or Crunchy (whatever they were at the time) listed Fairy Tail: Dragon Cry despite AL still actively holding the license and was later removed.

If this is a situation where Crunchyroll have decided to completely cut the UK release despite being a popular title that is mind baffling (even for their low standards already).

Only other scenario is that it has something to do with the JP license holders.
I'd say the most likely thing is that Crunchyroll did not have permission to release all of season 2 in a single set. Tbh I was surprised to see them release a 2 cour CE for such a low price.

So much for this...IMG_20230601_161122.jpg
Someone in the CrunchyUK team needd to get axed for this.

Stuff like this makes me wish FuniUK 2021 to mid 2022 days when they actually released good to decent titles with some nice originally produced LE's.

At this point, CruchyUK lost all credibility and trust.
I can understand cancelling LOTGH (since it's a niche franchise), I can endure not brings show's like Aoashi, Shikimori, Moriarty the Patriot etc, but cancelling one of the most popular and beloved Isekai show's in the world with no plans of relisting is just horrible.

Aside from Spy x Family, Dragon Ball Super Hero and Ancient Magus Bride OVA, as well maybe Ranking of Kings Part 2 LE and A Couple of Cuckoos (If they actually announce them in the UK)
I'm done supporting the CrunchyUK branch for home video and support CrunchyAus branch via toysandfilms instead.

I don't think they will recover for this.

Last edited:
So much for this...View attachment 29397
Someone in the CrunchyUK team needd to get axed for this.

Stuff like this makes me wish FuniUK 2021 to mid 2022 days when they actually released good to decent titles with some nice originally produced LE's.

At this point, CruchyUK lost all credibility and trust.
I can understand cancelling LOTGH (since it's a niche franchise), I can endure not brings show's like Aoashi, Shikimori, Moriarty the Patriot etc, but cancelling one of the most popular and beloved Isekai show's in the world with no plans of relisting is just horrible.

Aside from Spy x Family, Dragon Ball Super Hero and Ancient Magus Bride OVA, as well maybe Ranking of Kings Part 2 LE and A Couple of Cuckoos (If they actually announce them in the UK)
I'm done supporting the CrunchyUK branch for home video.

I don't think they will recover for this.
Were they good last year? Most of my recent FUNi/early CR titles are imported cos they don’t release gay stuff… boy I love having the Free finale from AL and S2 (if I didn’t import) and nothing inbetween. And even stuff like Nichijou they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to release.

Re:ZERO Season 2 cancellation reaction:

Re_ZERO_-_Cliffhanger.png

Personally I am surprised a complete season set and that price was even allowed in the first place, let alone being revealed for the UK market before the US and released before the two OVA specials which should have came first. And not to mention let's not forget the fiasco of the handling of Season 1's disc release so perhaps there's some bad blood with the franchise involved between Japan and Crunchyroll.

Either way we'll never know why this has happened, but it'll come back eventually - just not now.

Quite surprising indeed. I doubt the early announcement was the cause of this, it was properly announced via a press release along with a bunch of other titles. It's unusual that a large title like this got announced before any word of a US release, though. I guess it's possibly just a matter of rights.
Or maybe they made the discs and found out it didn't work on the PS3 or something...

I hope it will be back soon. Even if only in the USA, I want this! I can import from there. Still, Memory Snow should be at first :p

Fanny thing is that is still available on Zavvi xD

Back