UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

As much as I love and always will support physical media for as long as it's being made I think we have to accept we are all old in terms of the media landscape and they will only continue physical media as long as it's profitable but these day's the kid's are more content with streaming, not all of us well over 30 (assuming there's no one on this forum under 30 which would be a nice surprise to learn young people still appreciate this kind o communication).

26 myself here though I don't know anyone else around my age who uses forums (to my knowledge anyway).

Know some people who still like physical media around my age though, not to a crazy extent or anything, just like to own their favourites for when they're not easily available to stream. They stick to digital for the most part, isn't an important thing to their life to be fair unlike myself and a lot of us here. They didn't fully understand why I was into physical media a lot at first but over time after seeing my collection and why I prefer it as well as how the streaming landscape has changed, they get it more now.

As much as I love and always will support physical media for as long as it's being made I think we have to accept we are all old in terms of the media landscape and they will only continue physical media as long as it's profitable but these day's the kid's are more content with streaming, not all of us well over 30 (assuming there's no one on this forum under 30 which would be a nice surprise to learn young people still appreciate this kind o communication).
Plot-twist I'm 28 and I've been using this forum since I turned 18. Joining the UK anime scene was roughly the same timeframe to which Anime Limited officially began (though they started in Dec 2012, it was mid-2013 where they first released a title).

My collecting years has been inconsistent on funds but it's from 2021 onwards where I was fully able to buy any form of release without worrying much. While I understand most opt for streaming, I still prefer the Blu-rays & 4K UHD as I found it to be the better viewing experience compared to online (plus discs tend to have the updated versions of shows compared to streams which stick to broadcast masters).

I'm 27 and joined last year because it felt like a forum would be a far better place to talk about anime than any social media platform.

Never a dull moment with this company. At this point everyone who's not subscribed to Chrunchyroll is never going to do it so this is just to unify the brand. Highly doubt they have put any thought into the international market. But recent announcements and sudden cancelations make that business as usual at the moment.

I'm 19 (probably the youngest here lol), but I'm old-fashioned for my age in more ways than just collecting physical media and knowing how to use a forum 😅

Although to be fair even I am very much streaming-first whenever possible, just buying shows and movies I already like or ones that are not available on streaming at all.

There we go. Open Preorders from outside of the US or Canada will not migrated to the Crunchyroll Store. Nice to have my preorder for a Figure that has been open for more than a year cancelled like that...

EDIT: I misread that. Preorders and backorders will still be handled by Rightstuf for now. Whether that includes EU Shipping is still left unclarified

Last edited:
Will my Right Stuf account transition to a Crunchyroll account?
Any United States or Canadian Right Stuf account with at least one order since
January 1, 2020, will be transitioned to a new Crunchyroll account on October 25,
2023. No accounts originating outside of the U.S. and Canada will be migrated to Crunchyroll.
The latest email from RS/CR doesn't look good for anyone who outside the US/Canada who has a pre-order. So much for customer service.

Didn't they mention existing pre-orders would still be fulfilled by the Rightstuf warehouse. So you would not need a CR account, although how will you be notified, check on your order if the RS store goes down?

Maybe they keep it up, without being able to order new stuff?

But yeah, great move for everyone outside the US and Canada...

Anything which isn't Crunchyroll Home Video can be shipped internationally
When they say "Our" I think they mean any Bluray/DVD's on the website

Rather than only Crunchyroll titles being restricted.

So no shipping Aniplex, Sentai, Viz, Mediablasters internationally.

----

What I would hate is if a similar thing happens over here.

Loosing UP1...

Risk of this Anime-on-line warehouse move and Anime Limited stocking all MVM titles... Moving towards a merger of AOL and Anime Limited shops?

Risk of this Anime-on-line warehouse move and Anime Limited stocking all MVM titles... Moving towards a merger of AOL and Anime Limited shops?
I’d hate that because AOL is still the better of the two. Especially now Anime Limited is owned by Embracer, a company clearly in dire straights after a gaming buy-out fell through. They are cutting jobs and closing the down entire companies to survive.

If they don't allow Aniplex titles to be shipped internationally then Aniplex of America is really going to suffer, as no way is there enough US fans that can afford to pay Aniplex prices.

I'm 26 and I buy a lot of physical anime, it's scaled down in recent years as I mostly just keeping up with some of the new stuff that comes out rather delving into certain distro's catalogues. I like the varied and weird line up of Discotek and there's usually at least one thing that I get from them each month now, so I really hope there's still a way to access their stuff after this.

I started collecting anime on VHS almost 30 years ago. Actually it was just a handful of tapes as a fad initially, but didn't look back into the medium until I got my first DVD player in 2000, and discovered Kiddy Grade, Vampire Princess Miyu, Love Hina, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

If I can't hold it in my hands... I don't own it. Someone else always own digital, they can always turn the servers off, or kill the DRM so you can no longer access the files on your drives.

I'm 35 & only buy physical media.

When they say "Our" I think they mean any Bluray/DVD's on the website

Rather than only Crunchyroll titles being restricted.

So no shipping Aniplex, Sentai, Viz, Mediablasters internationally.

Crunchyroll Home Video refers to titles released on Blu-ray/DVD by Crunchyroll themselves, so thankfully other company's titles shouldn't be affected.

I’d hate that because AOL is still the better of the two. Especially now Anime Limited is owned by Embracer, a company clearly in dire straights after a gaming buy-out fell through. They are cutting jobs and closing the down entire companies to survive.
I do wonder how, or if, the situation with Embracer will affect AL. And that deal was with a company backed by the Saudi government, which says a lot about the integrity of Embracer. Remember, consolidation is always in the best interests of the consumer!

Everything is a bit crap at the moment innit.

Back