Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Love the hard box and love the artbook.

I experienced the same issues with misplaced tray and think it is down to two things, not enough glue on single disc holders and also the overall flimsiness of the digipack itself. Perhaps these larger sets should use a sturdier card next time. The stock might be great for the normal sized sets but I'm not sure it's up to task for the UEs.

Overall you get an A for effort and a B for execution in my eyes. I look forward to the rest of the years releases.

I'd just like to add - I posted a picture of what mine looked like in the releases thread yesterday. I've just opened my set up today and the same holder has moved again.
It's now angled to the right slightly and sticks out from the bottom of the digipack. Worse still, the only area which is held on by glue now is the top left bit. This is definitely something which needs to be got to the bottom of, and I'm glad that Andrew is equally frustrated.

Elaniel said:
I remember one response to me when I mentioned audio problems on the test discs. That some parts (non dialogue) were in mono and couldn't be changed. So that may be why the Japanese side is having issues still.
I can actually believe this now. I extracted the background music that plays at the main menu and played it back in a music player - it states that it is indeed mono. ;_;

This is part of the reason why I don't like digipacks. Region 1 dvd sets like DBZ and some of Viz's sets like Inu Yasha used digipacks that were held on using glue and they did not give me confidence that they were stay in place. I would prefer thinpacks or regular cases every time.

anime_andrew said:
It is fixable in short term at least by lifting carefully and reattaching where wanted (on 99% of those impacted this is viable) but we're also chasing replacement digipacks as we worked so hard on this release, to see someone else cock it up for us is really depressing and upsetting so we're on finding a solution asap.

Andrew,
President, Anime Ltd
I'd just like to say that I actually just tried this since my holder is so loose it was hanging out of the bottom of my case. It seems that the top left corner of my holder is the only part that's held on properly, as unlike the other corners lifting it carefully yielded no results except for a crack appearing in the holder. I wouldn't advise trying it unless you're 100% sure all four corners of your case aren't stuck down properly.

Looking at blu-ray.com and their reaction to a) the release and b) this thread, makes me realise why I hardly ever post over there. They're rather venemous individuals.

mangaman74 said:
This is part of the reason why I don't like digipacks. Region 1 dvd sets like DBZ and some of Viz's sets like Inu Yasha used digipacks that were held on using glue and they did not give me confidence that they were stay in place. I would prefer thinpacks or regular cases every time.

I've had those sets (orange bricks for DBZ and green bricks for DBGT) for years and are all perfectly fine - same applies to beez Ultimate Edition release of Gundam Wing but I can see why'd you'd be concerned (especially after something like this release).

Emo185 said:
mangaman74 said:

I've had those sets (orange bricks for DBZ and green bricks for DBGT) for years and are all perfectly fine - same applies to beez Ultimate Edition release of Gundam Wing but I can see why'd you'd be concerned (especially after something like this release).

Most Digi's are fine due to extremely strong or same-size as the tray backings, the issue here is we were assured it would be okay on the card by the printers, which is very obviously not the case now so we're launching a review of it obviously.

Never had this kind of issue before and certainly aiming to ensure it's our last on that front!

Best,

Andrew

Mangaranga said:
anime_andrew said:
It is fixable in short term at least by lifting carefully and reattaching where wanted (on 99% of those impacted this is viable) but we're also chasing replacement digipacks as we worked so hard on this release, to see someone else cock it up for us is really depressing and upsetting so we're on finding a solution asap.

Andrew,
President, Anime Ltd
I'd just like to say that I actually just tried this since my holder is so loose it was hanging out of the bottom of my case. It seems that the top left corner of my holder is the only part that's held on properly, as unlike the other corners lifting it carefully yielded no results except for a crack appearing in the holder. I wouldn't advise trying it unless you're 100% sure all four corners of your case aren't stuck down properly.

Duly noted, will be careful what we advise then in the interim.

Andrew

antonusklesk said:
As usual wonderful communication Andrew, thanks for the updates.

It's not great but I do sympathise; having suppliers do this sort of thing in any line of business, especially if you specifically asked them not to, is incredibly frustrating - even more so when said line of business is something you're passionate about (a side of the supplier-based frustration I unfortunately can't say I've experienced).

I'm sure they'll try and correct the issue for you though. And despite all the hubbub, I'm loving watching through the show again, which is what it's all about at the end of the day!

We're confident there'll be a fix to the digipacks but for now we're stuck waiting to hear from Sony - but the issue has been escalated very high up the chain which shows how seriously we're taking this at least.

Glad you're enjoying watching the show again though - something I've been indulging in as well I have to say!

Best,

Andrew

Just checked my set again and I noticed the slot has fallen off completely (i.e. the glue failed to stick it together), so now I can move it to the right place... even though I have no glue-stuff whatsoever.

Before, and After:
Gurren_15.jpg
20141020_230000.jpg

For a comparison on Twitter, because I have access to the US/JP BDs that belong to a friend, I was asked to cap a few shots, so I grabbed caps of the two problem spots linked earlier and figured it might help to post them here too.

Episode 5 - http://i.imgur.com/oSdh0pi.jpg

Episode 7 - http://i.imgur.com/hLR8qVl.jpg

I tried to match the frames to those provided earlier. I can also confirm the US/JP BDs do not have any issues with the video freezing up during episode 7 where the replacements needed to be made.

Couldn't spot any problems on the Netflix stream of episode 5 in that spot either, on both the US and UK sites. Weird. The problematic material is clearly available in HD, but someone somewhere on the chain hasn't provided it to Anime Limited for some bizarre reason.

Ath said:
Couldn't spot any problems on the Netflix stream of episode 5 in that spot either, on both the US and UK sites. Weird. The problematic material is clearly available in HD, but someone somewhere on the chain hasn't provided it to Anime Limited for some bizarre reason.

It's wholly possible there's one set of masters that never leave Japan that formed the BD master for the JP/US version and the Netflix encodes that made our master but had some copy errors. It's bizarre anyway but we also didn't ever get sent a Japanese or US sample to check off against - which in itself was interesting...

Right now my main focus is on the packaging here anyway - but will come back to this point in due course I am sure!

AP

I went out a pre-ordered Gurren Laggen on Amazon so its a bit dissapointing to hear of these issues especially since Durarara still hasnt been sorted which tbh is extremly annoying for us who preorder these releases, I know Andrew and Anime Ltd are trying there best atm but maybe it would be better getting a few releases out a year error free, tbh i doubt I'll preorder another Anime Ltd product in the near future which i hate to say as I like the shows they release.

Were the Cowboy Bebop disks fixed as I've been holding off on buying that until they were?

ussjtrunks said:
I went out a pre-ordered Gurren Laggen on Amazon so its a bit dissapointing to hear of these issues especially since Durarara still hasnt been sorted which tbh is extremly annoying for us who preorder these releases, I know Andrew is and Anime Ltd are trying there best atm but maybe it would be better getting a few releases out a year error free, tbh i doubt I'll preorder another Anime Ltd product in the near future.

Were the Cowboy Bebop disks fixed as I've been holding off on buying that until they were?

The Bebop discs have been resolved (people are now about to get their discs soon) and Durarara!! has just started production (they were waiting for Gurren to be sorted first, if I'm correct).

NormanicGrav said:
ussjtrunks said:
I went out a pre-ordered Gurren Laggen on Amazon so its a bit dissapointing to hear of these issues especially since Durarara still hasnt been sorted which tbh is extremly annoying for us who preorder these releases, I know Andrew is and Anime Ltd are trying there best atm but maybe it would be better getting a few releases out a year error free, tbh i doubt I'll preorder another Anime Ltd product in the near future.

The Bebop discs have been resolved (people are now about to get their discs soon) and Durarara!! has just started production (they were waiting for Gurren to be sorted first, if I'm correct).
So the bebop bluray complete edition on amazon is error free now if so i might grab that soon :), also was any date ever given on Durarara?

ussjtrunks said:
NormanicGrav said:
ussjtrunks said:

So the bebop bluray complete edition on amazon is error free now if so i might grab that soon :), also was any date ever given on Durarara?

The standard 'Complete Series' Blu-ray set should be error free. I think Durarara!! got pushed to 2015 but it depends on what Anime Limited is doing these days. Andrew will probably answer that question in better detail.

So are they coming unstuck because the disc holders are more rigid and stiff then the digipack card so when the card bends slightly; the holders don't bend with it causing them to become unstuck?
ussjtrunks said:
I think I remember AL saying the new Bebop disc 1 would still say episodes 1-6 in the new batch.

SnowWolf said:
So are they coming unstuck because the disc holders are more rigid and stiff then the digipack card so when the card bends slightly; the holders don't bend with it causing them to become unstuck?
ussjtrunks said:
I think I remember AL saying the new Bebop disc 1 would still say episodes 1-6 in the new batch.

They fixed the video issue, but left the discs as is so it'd match still, otherwise they'd have to re-do the otherwise fine disc to deal with a typo. In the grand scheme number of episodes on disc is a tiny error, hopefully one that'll not crop up again.

--

2nd time I opened my GL ultimate the 3rd disc holder had gone for a walk, totally separating itself. I've reattached it and it seems to be holding, though I'm confused as to what glue they used, it's not normally possible to simply re-position something and for it to actually stick back down.

Andrew regarding future ultimate edition releases, you mentioned you'd like to keep the books The same Size, if that's the case would a regular size digipack for the discs be possible with filler card filling up the rest of the space in the box?

Would mean the disc tray issues seen here would be negated.

Back