Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

Yukifan said:
They also have the Shinkai Collection if they can get the remaining rights.

Escaflowne aside, that's the one I'm actually most excited for.

From a selfish point of view, I'd rather Place Promised / Twin Star just came out individually now - without the wait, as I already have quite a few of the others. Place Promised has been out of print for ages, so for me the priority is to nab a lovely Blu Ray of that ASAP.

EDIT: Going back to Gurren Lagann for a sec - I'm never sure if this is just my particular Blu-Ray player being crummy or not, but GL seems to have the same issue DRRR! did where it doesn't remember the position of the disc when you switch your player off, meaning you're booted back to the opening menu (and have to sit through the idents) each time you boot up the disc. It also doesn't remember which language options you selected.

This might just be my player though.

Lutga said:
Yukifan said:

From a selfish point of view, I'd rather Place Promised / Twin Star just came out individually now - without the wait, as I already have quite a few of the others. Place Promised has been out of print for ages, so for me the priority is to nab a lovely Blu Ray of that ASAP.

EDIT: Going back to Gurren Lagann for a sec - I'm never sure if this is just my particular Blu-Ray player being crummy or not, but GL seems to have the same issue DRRR! did where it doesn't remember the position of the disc when you switch your player off, meaning you're booted back to the opening menu (and have to sit through the idents) each time you boot up the disc. It also doesn't remember which language options you selected.

The only Blu-rays that remember the place on the disc, are those which are specifically encoded in Java to do so. Most other Blu-rays will remember if you press stop during playback, and the press play again (without ejecting the disc in between), but some discs, especially Kaze, won't even remember that much. They aren't DVDs!

Lutga said:
Going back to Gurren Lagann for a sec - I'm never sure if this is just my particular Blu-Ray player being crummy or not, but GL seems to have the same issue DRRR! did where it doesn't remember the position of the disc when you switch your player off, meaning you're booted back to the opening menu (and have to sit through the idents) each time you boot up the disc. It also doesn't remember which language options you selected.

My player did it after I played the first 3 episodes today. As far as I remember the only other anime blu-rays that do it my collection are the Code Geass ones.

Just Passing Through said:
Lutga said:
Yukifan said:

The only Blu-rays that remember the place on the disc, are those which are specifically encoded in Java to do so. Most other Blu-rays will remember if you press stop during playback, and the press play again (without ejecting the disc in between), but some discs, especially Kaze, won't even remember that much. They aren't DVDs!

Interesting! Never knew that was the case - I think I just assumed that if a DVD could do something, surely a Blu-Ray would be able to do it too. I'm sure I've had some Blu-Rays in the past thought that do remember position and language choices.

My FUNimation discs all seem happy to remember but a fair number of others don't. I don't expect anything to as a result; it's very inconsistent.

R

I'd say all my BDs remember the point they were stopped on PS4....except GL, can't remember if DRRR didn't resume, but I'm so used to it remembering the position it was jarring with the GL disks.

ussjtrunks said:
anime_andrew said:
NormanicGrav said:
The standard 'Complete Series' Blu-ray set should be error free. I think Durarara!! got pushed to 2015 but it depends on what Anime Limited is doing these days. Andrew will probably answer that question in better detail.

Sadly yes - it's a case of only being able to do a certain amount at anytime so got to work on that one here too actually. First time authoring them here so there's a bunch of material requests to do among other things and track down the initial signs track in the US release.

Best,

AP

Heres the thing Andrew I personally think AL should fix these issues 1st before releasing new content I mean Durarara was released in March. People paid for the set and still have it sitting on shelves waiting on the promised fix.

Its all well and good to release all these awesome animes but maybe a slower approach wouldnt alienate the fanbase quite as much.

I was planning on buying Durarara in the beginnig of November. I will be waiting for the fixed version.

Ah, opened my GL boxset today and, much like other people's sets, the third tray had relocated to the bottom left of the section. Fun times.

Where will it be next time? NOBODY KNOWS!

Lutga said:
Yukifan said:

This is not a fault; it's just the way some BD's are.

I always take my discs out of the player and put them back in their original box, so sitting through the opening logos isn't usually a problem; besides most BD sets (with the exception of KAZE) can be skipped straight to the title menu.

I've basically created my account to talk about it since there's some discussion going on already on the Gurren Lagann release which I found after googling.

I've had a quick look through my purchase and the issues mentioned have popped up (misaligned tray on the digipack). However, I don't know if anyone else has the same issue as I do with the artbook. Mine's been printed upside down and back-to-front. So when I open it the right way up from the front cover, I'm faced with pg 111 and it's upside down. Now ordinarily, I might just deal with something like this as it's rare for me to revisit an artbook (especially one that's part of a limited edition of DVD/Bluray/Game release) after that first time browsing, but with the other issues and the money spent on this particular one I feel like I should get off my **** and sort it out.

Do you guys think it's best to sort it through the retailer (Amazon) or try and sort it through Anime Limited? I looked on their site and there didn't appear to be a contact email.

Archon said:
I've basically created my account to talk about it since there's some discussion going on already on the Gurren Lagann release which I found after googling.

I've had a quick look through my purchase and the issues mentioned have popped up (misaligned tray on the digipack). However, I don't know if anyone else has the same issue as I do with the artbook. Mine's been printed upside down and back-to-front. So when I open it the right way up from the front cover, I'm faced with pg 111 and it's upside down. Now ordinarily, I might just deal with something like this as it's rare for me to revisit an artbook (especially one that's part of a limited edition of DVD/Bluray/Game release) after that first time browsing, but with the other issues and the money spent on this particular one I feel like I should get off my **** and sort it out.

Do you guys think it's best to sort it through the retailer (Amazon) or try and sort it through Anime Limited? I looked on their site and there didn't appear to be a contact email.

Hmm, normally mis-prints like that would be dealt with via the retailer, rather than going back to the publisher. You could contact AL in this instance for advice as they are a lot more approachable than your usual company.

Am away on holiday and my Amazon parcel is waiting back at the office. Just wondering why they didn't use the existing blu Ray for the material they spliced in? Doesn't sound like too much of a deal breaker, but disappointed for Andrew that errors keep creeping in. Surprised he has to bear the cost of the durarara fix as I'd thought it was the fault of one of the contracted companies.

Also disappointed it doesn't come with a tiny drill like my original Bandai dual language release! Lol...

I imagine with DRRR!! the problem is that the Australian company won't fix it themselves, so Andrew has to sort it out and redo the materials here. Errors with Australian releases seem quite common (especially when Siren and subtitles are involved). They don't generally seem all that interested in fixing them since they aren't being pressured to by their own customers, and as our UK distributors are (effectively) buying a finished product from them, they don't have much control. With Gurren Lagann, Anime Limited is the direct customer of the production partners they used so Andrew can chase down the exact people responsible for any issues and make them set things right.

As the list of errors in the first post proves, if DRRR!! was released by any other UK company there's no way a fix would even be considered after it was released. Even though they're a small company, Anime Limited are the only ones who actively correct mistakes on BDs - the similar problems on Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere season 1 were known in advance and far worse than the issues with Gurren Lagann but they were quietly swept under the rug and it's unlikely that a fix will ever be available in the UK, so fans of that series are screwed forever. Manga UK never even apologised or publicised the issue, and they keep repeating the exact same mistakes and releasing discs with known flaws instead of trying new things to minimise the impact and taking their suppliers to task. Even though Anime Limited has stumbled a few times there's a definitely sense that they're listening.

To cut a long story short, MVM and Manga UK aren't willing to justify the cost of fixing BD errors and I suspect that Siren in Australia is the same.

Archon said:

Welcome to the forum! That kind of error is usually a one-off printing mistake where someone set the materials the wrong way around, so requesting a return and replacement should sort it out. Amazon will probably be the easiest path to take (and technically, in these cases it's generally best to return the item to the retailer directly as they can see your original order details etc) unless Andrew of Anime Limited pops up and advises otherwise. In legal terms, your contract is with the seller rather than the manufacturer so Amazon is obliged to help you out; if that's a dead end for some reason (e.g. if all of the copies are faulty so they can't offer a replacement, or they run out of stock) then you're best off escalating it to the manufacturer.

R

Rui said:
Errors with Australian releases seem quite common (especially when Siren and subtitles are involved).

Sorry to go slightly off topic. Are there any known issues with the Siren releases of Monster and Higurashi ? They seem to be the only versions currently available of those titles.

burtkenobi said:
Just wondering why they didn't use the existing blu Ray for the material they spliced in?
Assuming that is even possible, I can see glaring legal issues; for one ripping footage from a BD involves defeating the DRM and two, it would be material they are not cleared to use which would lead to problems with the licensor (I've heard tales of companies who have based their release on rips of the Japanese DVDs rather than paying for access to the masters and it did not go down well)

Garuda said:
Rui said:
Errors with Australian releases seem quite common (especially when Siren and subtitles are involved).

Sorry to go slightly off topic. Are there any known issues with the Siren releases of Monster and Higurashi ? They seem to be the only versions currently available of those titles.

I've seen Higurashi a while ago, both seasons, and I don't recall noticing any error. I don't have the sharpest eye for small things, mind you, but it seemed perfectly fine to me, video, audio, and subtitle-wise.

Back