Eden of the East

Just watched the first episode, it was good don't get me wrong... but I really am not as loving it as much as others here, it just doesn't seem as original to me as some of you seem to think. Still a good start though, characters look like they were designed by the manga-ka of Solanin/Goodnight Pun Pun. I hope it can only get better from here, will surely be a winner.

Just watched the 2nd Episode...and the plot deepens. It still carries on with the great start it first made and certainly keeps you interested. Still love the OP & ED, both extremely well done especially with the ED. They certainly did a clever thing with the paper stuff (even if it happens to be cgi?) Im hoping its longer than 13 episodes though :)

Just watched ep 1. Agree with the people giving mad props to the ED animation, and the production values in general (everything from the animation to the background music was top grade, even for IG).

However, I also agree with Lupus in that I wasn't blown away by the show itself. The plot could become really interesting/be really well told, but at the moment, as the main guy even says himself, the setup doesn't seem massively original. Still, will definitely continue to watch it.

Watched the first episode, planning to watch the second later on. It was really interesting, although I'm not up-in-arms about the English since it felt like it was recorded with a PC Mic or from chopped up from TV shows. It deserved its high Japanese TV rating though, I imagine they advertised it with a lot of US landmarks and the setting which would make almost anyone take a second look. It certainly did me.

The ED is good, but it doesn't top this for me.

Just finished episode 2. Getting better but still nothing amazing, some things I liked, others I didn't. Akira told Saki that he lost his memory and everything and the scene was pretty underwhelming, the music didn't even go either, it was a simple case of "I got my memories erased, lol." But she didn't seem to take full notice, so it can be be forgiven. The part were they were on the bench too reminded me of Lost Odyssey -Akira recalls a memory locked deep within his heart- the last minute or so of the episode has gotten me interested too, that detective guy is awesome.

There came a moment of hard rofl for me. When listening to Saki's inner monologue about that 'knight in shiny armour' kind stuff, I thought: "Yeees, good example of the Japanese obsession with social security."

RetroRainbow said:
with Akira being IX, and Kondou being IV. Since Kondou wants to 'take out' Akira, therefore taking his place, could the higher numbers be more likely to be... in line to be the messiah, or something?

Kondo is a cool cat but the fact that he can see Akira's credits and can follow him seems wrong to me. He obviously knows how to use his position but I can't help but figure #1 being The Messiah or whatever so he'd be higher up than Akira. I mean, him wanting to take him out because of his posision makes sense, but doesn't click with me for some reason.

I don't really think Akira is his real name anyway. Be funny if its Ryuzaki. :p

RetroRainbow said:
The pacing in this episode flowed fluidly~ we were given a lot of information, but not once did it feel like it was being crammed in. I wonder, with nine episodes left, will we have time to meet the other ten Selecao members? I'm assuming several might be shown at a time, I'm thinking that's the only way it could work out.

There's a movie coming out after that. So if all the Selecao members aren't all shown, then they might wriggle themselves into the movie.

Only just found out there are only 11 episodes, shorter than I expected. Still, better that it's short and sweet I suppose than long and tedious.

Episode 3 has sparked my intrigue a great deal too, the plots moving ahead quicker than expected, detective Kondo's death caught me off guard - it felt like he was going to be a major antagonist for the series.
I've got high hopes for the show if it keeps developing like this :)

Last edited by a moderator:
11?
Wow, it is going to be short and sweet. Guess I'll see how it works out before judging whether it's a good length.

EotE has quickly become 'the' show of the summer season (besides the white elephant of FMA obviously).

Really liking this show so far. I especially liked that "So I'm not Jason Bourne then" joke in the beginning. Ep 4, really opens up the storyline. My fave this season by far.

Watched episode 4, my opinion stays the same. Average at best, I recently feel like this is going to get the Code Geass treatment -real- soon. An enjoyable watch nonetheless.

Watched Episode 4 and so far, I'm beginning to think there's something really dark in Akira. Even though the kiss between Akira and Saki is sweet, I can't help but think he is planning something... and even Saki looks a bit... worried, judging by her expression.

As for the woman, eh. It freaked me out at the beginning, mostly because when I looked at the man in the chair, it almost look like she used some sort of contraption in his penis, judging by the circular gadget and blood on his legs. I'm thinking she's one of those sex maniacs who killed them afterwards.

It's an excellent episode. I'm can't understand why you don't like it, Lupus. EOTE is really magnificent and an admirable one considering it manage to stand out of the usual anime crapfest.

I've only just watched (well, last night) episode 2, I thought it was a massive step up from the first ep in terms of content.

Back