Eden of the East

just watched episode 6, very good, lots of new information in this episode too, the plot is developing very nicely, i cant wait for episode 7 :-D

Ditto about missing things. I think I'll do a big re-watch before the finale.

Loved episode 6, certainly my favourite show of the season, wish the people in my society felt similarly :-/.

I have a lot to say about this. I plowed through the first six episodes last night and came away with a really good impression of this new series.

It confuses me a little, but in that good "This is going to be awesome" way.

Episode six was, in a word, confusing. In three words, confusing as ****.

For starters there seemed to be a chunk missing between episodes five and six because Akira hadn't even mentioned Saki's group before episode six, yet at the start of it he was dropping Saki off at her friends and asking her to arrange a meeting. Somewhere along the way a "Hey baby, wanna come back to my place?" line was transformed into a plan to meet Saki's group of nerdy friends.

Before episode six, I think the word 'club' had only been mentioned once, and the club members had only had a few seconds on screen, so you'll have to forgive me for not getting how a 'romantic' offer changed into a plan to meet Saki's club friends. Why is she even in with nerds, anyway?

Anyway. The next scene introduced the club cast as they talked about Akira and how the geek leader wasn't so great and how the attractive ladies were all leaving the club...or something. I really don't know. All I do know is that they decided to pay Akira a visit at the end.

When they started conversing with Akira, it got REALLY confusing. Some stuff about a program that can add descriptions to any image viewed on a camera, the club being involved in recycling(!?), old men being evil, a bad thing happening to Saki because of the image description program, Akira wanting to use a group of six nerds to save the world by funding them...oh, and there was a very calm discussion at the end about the virgin nerd getting his "Johnny" chopped off. Too much was threw in and explained badly, in short. I wish I hadn't watched it at 1 AM because, if I ever watch episode 7, I'm going to need to rewatch it.

I think the message of Eden is that old people are ruining Japan and young, reclusive people can save it if they're helped. I don't really care at this point, though. Why? Because the series is all over the place - it isn't sure if it wants to be a slapstick comedy series, a Genshiken type comedy, a crime thriller or an anime that shows Japan from a certain angle. I enjoyed the rom-com opening episodes (despite not really liking either character) but have become less interested in it as its gone on. I might drop it - I'm not sure.

Hope Ohsugi isn't some kind of rapist....
That would change alot of things.

I'd hope the illusion business was referring to the floating and wings... :?
Hopefully Saki won't be angry at Akira, it's not like he isn't just figuring it out as he goes along (his Johnny love suggestion :oops: ).

Quite enjoying Eden, but yes, I too fear how much story will get told in the remaining episodes.

just watched episode 7, very suprising, if that wasnt oshugi, then where is oshugi?

and what about Takizawa? is he ok?

urgh, so many questions, have to wait for next episode now, its certainly addictive!

I'm not sure I've been paying enough attention but did they already explain what a NEET was? I think I must of missed it :S

NEET = Not currently engaged in Employment, Education or Training

Basically someone bumming off friends and family or the dole.

Wiki says it was first used in the UK as a classification defined by targets laid out by the DfES.

Looking forward to watching this series but will probably wait until every episode is out.

Since I haven't read through any of the posts due to spoilers, I'll just ask a few questions what kind of genre would you put this series in? Is it at all comparable to any of anime out there? Also, most importantly, is it a thinking man's story?

Cheers to anyone who answers.

Uh.. It's thriller being told as if it's a drama (or vice versa).
Comparable.... GitS with Toradora lovechild? ( :lol: )

A thinking's man story.
What a way to put it. Is it? I wonder. It raises some philosophical/sociological questions sure, but let's not run away with fantastic ideas of it, in the end it's 20 minutes of entertainment first and foremost.

I guess it's too soon to ask the latter. If it's a 13 part series, I'll just watch it as a whole, so 4 hours, 20 minutes of entertainment with something to think about in-between.

Seen 6 episodes so far and like many viewers appear to, I've got mixed feelings about the show.

For me it's the edgy, darker aspects which are most compelling rather than the character drama. It doesn't feel like the two parts quite mesh together as a whole. My biggest gripe though is the inconsistent pacing ranging from steady progression to outright rushing (I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused by episode sixes sudden 'Eden' club introduction), which makes me wonder if more episodes should have been planned to distribute the plot more evenly.

Who knows - there's still time for the show to pull itself together before the finale. It remains the best watch this season for me.

Based on the first six episodes, I don't think the series is worthy of its hype or my time. I was planning on keeping going until the end but, at the end of the day, I can't say I really want to keep watching. It's the sort of series I'd only have the motivation to finish if I owned it on DVD and had nothing else of interest to occupy me - not when fansubs are being released weekly. For me to keep following on a weekly basis, the quality level of *insert title here* has to be very high and not headache inducing because of a lack of direction.

Guin Saga will no doubt suffer the axe also whenever I bother to watch episodes 6-7. It strikes me as being worse than Eden, the only thing that's kept me interested so far being the setting.

I may have missed something, but can someone tell me which ep. they talk about the Eden of the East website (the one that identifies people). I think I've watched all of them so far, but I also have the nagging feeling I've missed something. Want to double check.

And, the end of ep 7 with Taki and that hikkemori - what the heck was that about? Anybody getting a sinister vibe?

Back