Facebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebular

Completely Average High School Student
I was wondering if Anime UK News had any plans to create a presence on Facebook?

There are a quite a lot of anime Groups and/or Pages but I'm not sure I trust them.

Setting up (and managing) a Group or Page is extremely easy (and free).

There's no reason not to :D

Thanks,

From what i can gather, i doubt there is anything planned for a Facebook page, and on top of that i don't think we'd benefit much from it either. A lot of us don't know each other at all outwith the forums, and usually i'd always think of something like Facebook or similar to be a social thing which i'd link with other people i know in person. So really i don't think it'd be of much use. On that note however, we do have a presence on MyAnimeList, and personally thats enough for us, its not really that active either.

I log into Facebook for lots of reasons. I don't have as many reasons to log into animeuknews.net.

I would find it very useful to be able to access (reliable) news and/or information about anime whilst I am over at Facebook.

As to whether it's beneficial to AnimeUK News, consider this:
According to new reports, in recent weeks Facebook is growing at a rate of 600,000 users each day, up from 300,000 to 400,000 users per day earlier this quarter. The company is also reporting that, as of today, they have reached 140 million active users.

Source (dated 18th Dec 2008):
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/facebook_growth_explodes.php

I suppose if someone really had the time and effort, they could do it (you'd have to ask Paul).

On facebook you would simply just search for 'anime news', click the group, click 'Become a fan' and you'd get daily news updates. The updates would be simply copy and pastes from the forum that someone adds on. Although, I don't know why someone wouldn't have 2-3 minutes extra time to come on the actual site and read it for themselves? :p

I would find it useful, and I'm sure it would be very popular (some of the other anime organisations on Facebook seem a bit amateur-ish.

I don't think news updates would be the main thing though. That's what RSS feeds are for :)

good choice for an avatar there nebular, but as arbalest pointed, I don't think people here really want something like that. I believe you could ask Paul about it.

Personally I don't like the way facebook monopolises everything, I'll probably HAVE to get an account soon just to meet social standards.

..but I don't know: a site presence might help draw more people over here. It's really down to Paul I guess.

It's no big deal - just a suggestion :)

I thought it would be good for users , and even better for the site (exposure, increased user-base, traffic, ad revenue, etc.).

Seems like a no-brainer to me, but no worries :)

However, I do appreciate that people here might not know much about Facebook and what it does etc.

My brother tried to make me join Facebook for ages before I did . But now I have, I have to admit - it really is very "socially-enriching".

chaos said:
good choice for an avatar there nebular,
Thanks :) James Cameron is meant to be making a live action movie of Battle Angel Alita but he hasn't talked about it since 2006.
And there is no European DVD release (I have it on VHS tape though - somewhere...)

nebular said:
I log into Facebook for lots of reasons. I don't have as many reasons to log into animeuknews.net.

I would find it very useful to be able to access (reliable) news and/or information about anime whilst I am over at Facebook.

As to whether it's beneficial to AnimeUK News, consider this:
According to new reports, in recent weeks Facebook is growing at a rate of 600,000 users each day, up from 300,000 to 400,000 users per day earlier this quarter. The company is also reporting that, as of today, they have reached 140 million active users.

Source (dated 18th Dec 2008):
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/facebook_growth_explodes.php

LOL I'd say you seem to work for Facebook with that.

Look, we're on an anime forum. What is the first thing that springs to mind when you think of Anime-Fan/Otaku/Etc. Non-Sociable. Shut-In. Something like that? :lol: Look at NHK, for example.

You say it'd be handy for you, but your what? A new used with like 5 posts? Like we're gonna go make ourselves a Facebook page just for one user? We all log onto HERE for our Anime News, because lets face it, its really not hard. As Arby said, we also have a MAL page.

nebular said:
chaos said:
good choice for an avatar there nebular,
Thanks :) James Cameron is meant to be making a live action movie of Battle Angel Alita but he hasn't talked about it since 2006.
And there is no European DVD release (I have it on VHS tape though - somewhere...)
I've got my DVD from US recently and I love it. I'm willing to read the new alita manga series as soon as I can, but that might take a while, as I've got loads in my backlog to sort first.
I've heard about it and I've just checked it out again and I see they are in pre-production. Meaning, they've got nothing yet, but It's James Cameron. I can only hope he does complete this movie and I'm sure it will kick spider's ass ;D.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437086/

OT: I believe the biggest problem of a facebook group would be having it up to date.

For things like news updates, we have our RSS feed, but I can see the benefit of having a Facebook page, if just in terms of building a presence within such a large community, but, to be honest, I don't use Facebook, and more to the point, don't want to use it. So I'll pass on this for now, but if ever I do get around to using it (which seems inevitable, given I'm constantly being bugged by friends about it), this will be something worth considering.

Paul said:
For things like news updates, we have our RSS feed, but I can see the benefit of having a Facebook page, if just in terms of building a presence within such a large community, but, to be honest, I don't use Facebook, and more to the point, don't want to use it. So I'll pass on this for now, but if ever I do get around to using it (which seems inevitable, given I'm constantly being bugged by friends about it), this will be something worth considering.
Would you mind if I set one up?

I'm in Paul's camp too personally. I have a Facebook account (due to nagging...) but I never use it and hate using my real name/details, so I'd never associate it with one of my forum communities like this.

For one thing it would seriously confuse some people if they found out I was really female :)

That's not to say I think that the Facebook group for this community is a bad thing at all, just that I'll personally be sticking here away from the hyperactive social whirl of that place.

R

Rui said:
For one thing it would seriously confuse some people if they found out I was really female :)

Oh I can imagine the horror in that person's face.... "A female likes anime? " the psychological scar might be to huge for him to bear.... =D

Spyro201 said:
LOL I'd say you seem to work for Facebook with that.
Just think about that for a moment. IF Facebook desperately wanted to increase their user base, do you really think they would tell all of their employees to go and spam as many forums as they could?

That would be extremely unprofessional and not very effective either.

I do quite like the style of the AnimeUK News website but I don't like the style of this forum (being a web-developer I may be a very harsh judge though!).

Spyro201 said:
Look, we're on an anime forum. What is the first thing that springs to mind when you think of Anime-Fan/Otaku/Etc. Non-Sociable. Shut-In. Something like that? :lol: Look at NHK, for example.
I don't think those things. Anyway, if anime fans are really so un-sociable, then why does this forum exist? :)

Spyro201 said:
You say it'd be handy for you, but your what? A new used with like 5 posts? Like we're gonna go make ourselves a Facebook page just for one user?
I know I'm a new user here but it's not like I'm demanding anything.
I thought a Facebook presence would be good for other users, and the site itself, not just me. If absolutely no one cares, then fair enough.

How do you know that I'm the only user of this forum that would appreciate my suggestion being implemented? Do you know every single one of the other members and what they are thinking? :?

If users need a higher post count before they can give feedback or make suggestions, then there should be a minimum post requirement for this sub-forum :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back