Facebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nebular said:
Spyro201 said:
Look, we're on an anime forum. What is the first thing that springs to mind when you think of Anime-Fan/Otaku/Etc. Non-Sociable. Shut-In. Something like that? :lol: Look at NHK, for example.
I don't think those things. Anyway, if anime fans are really so un-sociable, then why does this forum exist? :)

:lol: He got you there Sypro

On topic i don't use facebook so something like this wouldn't affect me anyway but it may be nice for those on here that do use that social site. It in the hand of Paul though since he's the site owner.

Oh and welcome to the forum Nebular :)

nebular said:
I do quite like the style of the AnimeUK News website but I don't like the style of this forum (being a web-developer I may be a very harsh judge though!)
I love the style of this forum. Nice subdued colours which are easy to read off, it has variable width (a serious problem with some forums where the central column is so narrow there's only about five words to a line), no sigs gives threads a nice flow when reading and there are plenty of sub-forums so everything is organised and in it's own place.

Never change, AUKN. :)

Well that's going a bit off-topic. Obviously people have different personal preferences when it comes to style. (Personally I wouldn't describe these colours as subdued - the blue is striking - but the salmon and grey are weak, IMHO).

I use a lot of forums - but I've never liked phpBB - I prefer vBulletin, SMF or IPB.

The only thing in the universe that that never changes is the fact that everything changes. Nothing is forever! :)

BlackWolf said:
nebular said:
Spyro201 said:
Look, we're on an anime forum. What is the first thing that springs to mind when you think of Anime-Fan/Otaku/Etc. Non-Sociable. Shut-In. Something like that? :lol: Look at NHK, for example.
I don't think those things. Anyway, if anime fans are really so un-sociable, then why does this forum exist? :)

:lol: He got you there Sypro

On topic i don't use facebook so something like this wouldn't affect me anyway but it may be nice for those on here that do use that social site. It in the hand of Paul though since he's the site owner.

Oh and welcome to the forum Nebular :)

Not really sure he got him there. Facebook is slightly more socia than here, because most of us use their real names, post photos of ourselves, etc. Not sure people want others to know who they are. It's easier to log off from here and never come back than from facebook.

I personally don't have anything against people knowing who I am.

nebular said:
Spyro201 said:

We are a small community. We arent known for being social because there is such a small amount of us. Lets face it, anime is far from popular in the UK.

Spyro201 said:
You say it'd be handy for you, but your what? A new used with like 5 posts? Like we're gonna go make ourselves a Facebook page just for one user?
I know I'm a new user here but it's not like I'm demanding anything.
I thought a Facebook presence would be good for other users, and the site itself, not just me. If absolutely no one cares, then fair enough.

How do you know that I'm the only user of this forum that would appreciate my suggestion being implemented? Do you know every single one of the other members and what they are thinking? :?

If users need a higher post count before they can give feedback or make suggestions, then there should be a minimum post requirement for this sub-forum :roll:[/quote]

Its not that post counts ALWAYS MATTER. But you have 5, no one here knows you, and you've not posted in any other section of the forum. You've not posted in the community section, the introduction section, or the Anime/Manga section. You've just turned up and started going "I KNOW WHATS BEST LETS DO THIS".

Also @BlackWolf: You said it yourself, you dont use facebook. I dont know that many people here that do. We have our own communities in our own areas. In Forums, and MAL. I totally agree with Ayase, the colours on this forum are nice and subdued, and easy to read off. Facebook, wheres the point? If your posting in this topic now, you obviously check the forum. If you go on this forum, there is a big ass section saying "ANIME NEWS AND RUMOURS". It'd be easier to check there, wouldnt it?

Also there is the RSS feed. No need for a Facebook group at all.

Real names are the way forward. People tend to act like idiots when they can be anonymous.

The fact that Facebook gets people to use their real names is one of the best things about it. MySpace has now started pressuring users to use their real names as well (I don't have a MySpace account - the whole thing is ugly).

Transparency is a good thing.

Hackers always use their real names - it's part of the Hacker culture - only "crackers" and script-kiddies use names like in the Matrix etc.

We already have a pretty solid online community here that's lasted for years. What you're doing just seems like the most polite form of spamming I've ever heard of. If you went on Dragons Den with the idea they might buy in.

The reason I keep coming here is because it's just a nice little community. Not too overcrowded and madcap with a stripped down and easy to read design. The community does grow but at a reasonable pace with a few users who decide to stick around adding to it every now and then. Aside from the occasional drama the forum doesn't need heavy modding and it's generally just a nice environment to talk about anime or whatever.

As for Facebook I do have an account but I'm not particularly interested in the idea. I don't really use my Facebook account that much anyway, mainly got it for the reasons Rui said.

I'm out.

Spyro201 said:
Lets face it, anime is far from popular in the UK.
I dis-agree with you there - I think it's getting more and more popular all the time. Amazon.co.uk and Play.com have massive anime sections - they never used to.

Spyro201 said:
Its not that post counts ALWAYS MATTER. But you have 5, no one here knows you, and you've not posted in any other section of the forum. You've not posted in the community section, the introduction section, or the Anime/Manga section. You've just turned up and started going "I KNOW WHATS BEST LETS DO THIS".
Where did I say that? I've been very courteous and polite (despite your slightly frosty welcome!) :)
I thought it was an innocent enough suggestion - if I have broken the rules or offended you (or anyone else), then I apologise, for that was not my intention.

Spyro201 said:
Also @BlackWolf: You said it yourself, you dont use facebook. I dont know that many people here that do. We have our own communities in our own areas. In Forums, and MAL.
Just because YOU don't want it, doesn't mean it's wrong for someone else to suggest it for discussion. I'm grateful that you have expressed your opinion on the matter but I don't understand why you are so defensive :?

Spyro201 said:
Also there is the RSS feed. No need for a Facebook group at all.
Like I said before, there are a lot of ways in which a FB presence can enrich a website - but if you don't use Facebook then I don't expect you to know about them. Suffice to say, it could be more than just news updates.

Sy said:
We already have a pretty solid online community here that's lasted for years. What you're doing just seems like the most polite form of spamming I've ever heard of.
LOL that's insane.
If I was a spammer, I would write a script to automatically join gazillion forums, and make 1 post on each by itself. I certainly wouldn't enter into multi-page conversations etc.

Sy said:
The reason I keep coming here is because it's just a nice little community. ... and it's generally just a nice environment to talk about anime or whatever.
I know I'm new so I'll give everyone the benefit of the doubt - but some people seem rather quick to be negative.

If people don't like the idea then fair enough, but there's no need to question my integrity.

I'm just an ordinary anime fan and Facebook user.

Love and Light,

nebular said:
Hackers always use their real names - it's part of the Hacker culture - only "crackers" and script-kiddies use names like in the Matrix etc.

The real names thing is your opinion. If I have to be me on the internet I'll just go back to real life (I do have one - I just like it to stay where it is). Anonymity isn't only good for people with something to hide. Sometimes it's pleasant to be free and judged only for what you say and do.

And I have no weird Matrix fantasies. I've used aliases ever since I first ventured onto the internet and posted via eWorld and I always will, no matter what Facebook wants me to do.

R

nebular said:
Real names are the way forward. People tend to act like idiots when they can be anonymous.

The fact that Facebook gets people to use their real names is one of the best things about it. MySpace has now started pressuring users to use their real names as well (I don't have a MySpace account - the whole thing is ugly).
Or perhaps people with unusual names don't want just anyone to be able to Google them and read everything they've ever written online since they were 12, a lot of which they now realise was immature rubbish which they no longer subscribe to. Just one man with an odd surname's take on the matter. ;)

nebular said:
I know I'm new so I'll give everyone the benefit of the doubt - but some people seem rather quick to be negative.

I think some people knee-jerked against you because we've had a fair few spambots around these parts in the not too distant past. You're entitled to your opinion on Facebook though (and more than welcome to make an unofficial AUK group, I'm sure - nobody's going to stop you ;)). You've made it clear now that you're a real person, I'm pretty sure.

R

Rui said:
The real names thing is your opinion. If I have to be me on the internet I'll just go back to real life (I do have one - I just like it to stay where it is). Anonymity isn't only good for people with something to hide. Sometimes it's pleasant to be free and judged only for what you say and do.

And I have no weird Matrix fantasies. I've used aliases ever since I first ventured onto the internet and posted via eWorld and I always will, no matter what Facebook wants me to do.
That's fine :)
Personally I would prefer as much of life as possible have full transparency - ya know like how things work, banking etc. It's just a lot more secure.

When it comes to social networking then personally I think it's much better to use real names, because then it's much easier to locate the people you know (and to confirm it's them). If I used some random name, none of my old school/college/university friends would ever be able to find me and vice-versa.

So yeah I can totally understand that real names don't offer much benefit if you don't use social-networking.

Nebula. It's kinda weird that the part of what I wrote you quoted as being negative was actually really positive. :p

I wasn't trying to be rude or whatever but I just honestly don't like the idea much at all and can't really see why you're posting on here other than to promote facebook. I mean you already said you didn't like the look of the place, you've only posted in this topic and it's all been promoting facebook. Suggesting the idea was fine but the general vibe seems to be that we're not interested.

Rui said:
nebular said:

I think some people knee-jerked against you because we've had a fair few spambots around these parts in the not too distant past. You're entitled to your opinion on Facebook though (and more than welcome to make an unofficial AUK group, I'm sure - nobody's going to stop you ;)). You've made it clear now that you're a real person, I'm pretty sure.

R
I understand - no hard feelings :) Cheers.

Sy said:
Nebula. It's kinda weird that the part of what I wrote you quoted as being negative was actually really positive. :p
I wasn't talking about you when I said some people were being negative :)

I like the rest of the site - just not the forum.

A 3 page thread about Facebook that's never going to go anywhere. Great.

It'd be lovely if we had 3 page threads about manga and/or anime instead of junk like this. I suppose that's too much to hope for when most users on this forum gain great pleasure out of counting to a million.

Aion, it's time to change the record. I appreciate your love of anime discussion but complaining that other people don't do what you want them to is never going to lead anywhere either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back