Final Fantasy: Dissidia

Sounds like a bit of a cash in to me, Square are losing their credibility when it comes to straying from RPG's and i don't like the psp too much.
But i'm glad they've brought back some class characters, i'm a huge fan off Squall but surely making it more like SSB would be better for the fans? Suprised at the lack of more BIG ff characters in this title i guess the more they leave out the more demand for a sequel with them in will be there.

LukasROAR said:
Sounds like a bit of a cash in to me, Square are losing their credibility when it comes to straying from RPG's and i don't like the psp too much.
But i'm glad they've brought back some class characters, i'm a huge fan off Squall but surely making it more like SSB would be better for the fans? Suprised at the lack of more BIG ff characters in this title i guess the more they leave out the more demand for a sequel with them in will be there.

It's hardly much of a cash-in from my perspective. Ever since Ehrgeiz, there have been quite a few people who saw the potential in such a game. I remember years ago, telling my friends how much I'd totally buy a beat'em up game where I could pick all kinds of Final Fantasy characters. I could pit Cloud against Squall, and for once actually play as Sephiroth while kicking some ass. Dissidia is the game I wished Squaresoft had developed, so the concept is nothing new to people like me.

Also the reception so far is quite positive. People who have played Dissidia seem to think it's quite enjoyable, and has a lot of potential. The combat is closer to Super Smash Bros. more than anything else if you read up on it, as it's not a combo-dependant game but rather how you use the attacks to your advantage. The lack of 'big' characters is probably due to the apparent pattern from the current player list that seems to have the main antagonist and protagonist from each game. I think if Dissidia is successful, you can expect to see a sequel with some of the other major characters that they left out. Having new characters released as downloadable content is also likely; seeing as it has been done before on the PSP.

LukasROAR said:

Why don't you like the PSP?

o_O

If Dissidia is a cash-in, then surely SSB is, too? And there have been, what, 3 versions of that game?

SSB is a game that caters to Nintendo fans, both in it's stylisation and it's gameplay. The people Square Enix will be selling Dissidia to will, overall, not be Nintendo fans, so I think it's a good idea to make the game more FF-fan-friendly than Nintendo-fan-friendly.

As for the lack of major characters, I presume it's just Square Enix trying to take the attention off of FFVII and promote some of it's other games.; FFVII gets enough attention anyway. There's no doubt that Cloud will be in the final line up, though. I really, really hope some FFXII characters make it in to the game, too! Judge Gabranth vs. Judge Zargabath or Basch vs. Vaan would be awesome!

CitizenGeek said:
LukasROAR said:

o_O

If Dissidia is a cash-in, then surely SSB is, too? And there have been, what, 3 versions of that game?

SSB is a game that caters to Nintendo fans, both in it's stylisation and it's gameplay. The people Square Enix will be selling Dissidia to will, overall, not be Nintendo fans, so I think it's a good idea to make the game more FF-fan-friendly than Nintendo-fan-friendly.

As for the lack of major characters, I presume it's just Square Enix trying to take the attention off of FFVII and promote some of it's other games.; FFVII gets enough attention anyway. There's no doubt that Cloud will be in the final line up, though. I really, really hope some FFXII characters make it in to the game, too! Judge Gabranth vs. Judge Zargabath or Basch vs. Vaan would be awesome!

The reason i don't like the psp lol
It hurts my eyes
lmao seriously it does and i find the buttons a little to fiddly and not placed well. But thats just my opinion.

CitizenGeek said:

o_O

I DON'T LIKE THE PSP, DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT, CITIZENGEEK!?

Don't start this **** again, Dissidia and both the SSB games are cash ins, but SSB is better. >____>

Lupus Inu said:

I care little for whether you like the PSP or not. I was simply asking LukasROAR why he didn't like the PSP, because I know LukasROAR isn't a Nintendo fanboy and I knew he'd have a genuine reason for disliking the console, and said genuine reason was of interest to me. I don't suppose you have a problem with that, do you? ;]

Don't start this **** again, Dissidia and both the SSB games are cash ins, but SSB is better. >____>

SSB is dull, unacceptably so. I'm sure Square Enix will produce a better effort than Nintendo because, well, they always do more effort into their games, anyway.

It hurts my eyes
lmao seriously it does and i find the buttons a little to fiddly and not placed well. But thats just my opinion.

It hurts your eyes? Is that because the screen is too small or something?
As for button placement ... I can see how that might bother some people, yes.

CitizenGeek said:
Lupus Inu said:

I care little for whether you like the PSP or not. I was simply asking LukasROAR why he didn't like the PSP, because I know LukasROAR isn't a Nintendo fanboy and I knew he'd have a genuine reason for disliking the console, and said genuine reason was of interest to me. I don't suppose you have a problem with that, do you? ;]

SSB is dull, unacceptably so. I'm sure Square Enix will produce a better effort than Nintendo because, well, they always do more effort into their games, anyway.

It hurts my eyes

It hurts your eyes? Is that because the screen is too small or something?
As for button placement ... I can see how that might bother some people, yes.

I guess so it just hurts my eyes after i play it for a while, only game i've played on it is GTA:LCS on my bro's, he's playing Breath of Fire at the moment. The analogue i found a little hard to get used to due to it's placing, i guess i just like to sit on the sofa with a tv on the wall and a pad in my hand. The DS on the other hand...

CitizenGeek said:
So you're mindlessly branding me as a "Nintendo fanboy"? And what reason is this? Because I prefer Nintendo to Microsoft and Sony? Naw, I may be slightly biased towards Nintendo, but in NO way do I totally disregard either companies all "Lol, Sony sux." To be branded a "Nintendo fanboy" I dislike the console for it's library of games which mainly suck, and the only good ones get ported to PS2, plus it has some nice features, but MP3 player? COME ON, what the hell? So you're telling me you'd use that to walk around listening to music? It's huge. Srsly, opinion stated.

CitizenGeek said:
SSB is hardly a dull game, infact, now you're using your own personal bias, srsly, I've never met ANYONE who's said Super Smash Brothers is "dull" even people who don't like Nintendo. This Final Fantasy game seems to play like another Bleach/Naruto game, leveling system in the Bleach fighting games, two attack buttons ONLY, what epic fail is that? Haha, produce better games.

dirge_of_cerberus_box_art.jpg

Lol. Enough said.

Lupus Inu said:
I dislike the console for it's library of games which mainly suck, and the only good ones get ported to PS2, plus it has some nice features, but MP3 player? COME ON, what the hell? So you're telling me you'd use that to walk around listening to music? It's huge. Srsly, opinion stated.

I didn't call you a Nintendo fanboy, but I'm pretty sure you've just done that yourself with this nonsense. Such talk is most definitely that of a Nintendo fanboy. Saying the PSP has games that "mostly suck" and that the only good ones get ported to PSP is total fanboy nonsense.

SSB is hardly a dull game, infact, now you're using your own personal bias, srsly, I've never met ANYONE who's said Super Smash Brothers is "dull" even people who don't like Nintendo. This Final Fantasy game seems to play like another Bleach/Naruto game, leveling system in the Bleach fighting games, two attack buttons ONLY, what epic fail is that? Haha, produce better games.

It's funny; you get terribly insulted at even the mere hint I (and I am just one person) might consider you a Nintendo fanboy, and then, a few lines of vitriol later, you're behaving just as a typical Nintendo fanboy would: criticising a game you've never played (and that's gotten fairly positive press, too).

Square Enix put more effort into their games than Nintendo (and 90%) of most other developers, of that I'm sure. If you have, in fact, played Dirge of Cerberus (and I'm not so sure you have) you'll know that the voice acting, visual imagery, storyline (including the characters, the world's politics etc.) are much more developed, much more classy and sophisticated than anything Nintendo has ever (and will ever) produce. The gameplay in DoC was not as bad as many gaming outlets made it out to be, I figure these critics just expected so much from Square Enix, and got a little bit excited when one of it's games was less than outstanding.

Seeing as your in the mood for laughter ("Haha"), let me ask you, what did you think of these games:

- Nintendogs?
- Mario Party 8?
- Geist?
- Mario Party 6?
- Yoshi's Universal Gravitation?
- Mario Basketball?
- Yoshi's Touch & Go

The Mario games are a comparison point, but there is a difference to the transferability of the characters in what was originally a platform series, and what was originally a RPG series. To me, it's the difference between making a fighting game involving Disney characters, or making a fighting game involving Charles Dickens' characters.

Actually no, scratch that, because I want it now. Because I always wondered who would win in a no holds barred fight between Miss Havisham and Little Nell.

My god, Square and Nintendo have TOTALLY different demograpics;

Nintendo are going for the light-weight casual gamer who likes to play games off all types and has absolutely no bias towards anything and just likes the games for the good wholesome fun out of them. Mario Galaxy is Just an adventure game, Nothing more. Brawl is just a fighting game, Nothing more. They are still brilliant games, best of the genre probably for what they are.

Square have a "hardcore" gamer demographic that doesn't really appeal at all the casual gamer, Square has quite a niche audience I think. They probably are between 16 - 25 or something. I'm not saying there isn't people outside them ages I'm just saying thats probably the "main" age that tends to pick up their games. I mean, A 5 year old can have epic lulz playing Wii Sports and be quite let-down and confused like **** out of some of the fighting based things in pretty much any Square game. Bad example I know... But still....

Also, Its possible to not be a fan-boy as such and just like and dislike some things regardless as to who the **** made it.

Personally I think the PSP sucks, I own one. Got it in America like the week it came out and I loved it... Until the novelty wore off, In which it really is a crap portable console. Its not that portable, MOST of the game catalog isn't very good, A few exceptions go to the original games, like Loco Roco etc. Most of the others are ports from the PS/2 or getting ported to the PS2. The DS is a much better system overall, The games are FUN, you seriously can't deny that.

I think I have got off-topic somewhat in this post and to be totally honest, I'm not that much of a gamer, And I haven't played a Square game for yonks.

CitizenGeek said:

Since we're throwing games around what do you think of these

I don't have to play Dirge of Cerberus to know it's a ****** game, by taking a look at some gameplay videos was more than enough to know how lame it looked, and that Square Enix should stick to RPGs [In b4 Bushido Blade] because they're clearly not doing it right.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people will agree with me when saying PSP games suck. Nintendogs does suck, as does some of those games you've mentioned, see, I'm not denying it, like you do with most FF games the "sacred" series which has captivated your heart. ;/

Am I the only guy who enjoyed Nintendogs? I'm all for nintendo if they made Nintendcats =D

Seriously, why does the PSP suck now o_O. It may have sucked back in 2005, but certainly not now. All the good games have come out, and it started to evolve to be a great console. Still behind the DS, but still a very good console.

As for the FFD VS SSBB, why compare them? It's just a petty excuse for Mr Annoyance (or Mr I am always right) and Nintendtards to have a go at each other (Yes, I'm pointing at a few members). They are two totally different games, and is going to cater their fanboys/fangirls.

And lastly, Square Enix have fallen down big time, and in my opinion, Square Enix will always be inferior to Atlus.

Lupus Inu said:
Since we're throwing games around what do you think of these

I haven't played those games (and unlike most Nintendo fanboys, I rather not totally judge a game I haven't played), but GameBrink seem to think the DS version is fantastic.

In any case, seeing as your so sure that it's "FF" that's "captivated my heart", you'd best know that Itadaki Street is, in fact, an Enix game, and is not of the FF-developing Square. But that doesn't matter, because I'm pretty sure Itadaki Street is a better party game than the dismal Mario Party series.

I don't have to play Dirge of Cerberus to know it's a ****** game, by taking a look at some gameplay videos was more than enough to know how lame it looked, and that Square Enix should stick to RPGs [In b4 Bushido Blade] because they're clearly not doing it right.

Hah, oh, I am so surprised that you, a supporter of Nintendo, is criticising a game you've never played (sarcasm, btw!). You've also claimed the Itadaki Street games are bad, and that Dissidia (a game that hasn't even been finished yet) is bad. Well done, you've really exceeded my expectations.

Square Enix are great at making RPGs, yes, but you seem to be insisting that SE are incapable of making a good, non-RPG game. Consider, if you will, SE's huge success with an online game (FFXI) and action RPGs (Kingdom Hearts) and horror games (Parasite Eve). Square Enix have done a lot with the genre (FFXII, as another example) and there's nothing to suggest that experimenting beyond the genre will prove a failure.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people will agree with me when saying PSP games suck. Nintendogs does suck, as does some of those games you've mentioned, see, I'm not denying it, like you do with most FF games the "sacred" series which has captivated your heart. ;/

Hah, you're trying to prove that you're not a Nintendo fanboy by acknowledging that accepted bad games are bad? Funny. I don't "deny" that games like DoC are bad, because I actually enjoyed the game. I know that some FF games aren't all that great (FFVIII's battle system was rubbish, after all, though most probably disagree).

And yes, most people on AUKN would agree that the "PSP sucks", because this place has an ungodly number of Nintendo loyalists. Say something like that a mature gaming forum (like Eurogamer or something) and the reaction will be quite different.

Jayme said:
Square have a "hardcore" gamer demographic that doesn't really appeal at all the casual gamer, Square has quite a niche audience I think.

Yep, Final Fantasy is totally a niche thing alright. Especially in Japan. And especially in the US.

Personally I think the PSP sucks, I own one. Got it in America like the week it came out and I loved it... Until the novelty wore off, In which it really is a crap portable console. Its not that portable, MOST of the game catalog isn't very good, A few exceptions go to the original games, like Loco Roco etc. Most of the others are ports from the PS/2 or getting ported to the PS2. The DS is a much better system overall, The games are FUN, you seriously can't deny that.

If you are being genuine in your dislike for the PSP (which I most certainly do not think you are, such ill-informed vitriol as that which you just posted is very definitely the language of a Nintendo fan) then you're obviously not playing the right, or enough, games. It would be like me buying a DS, then playing only Mario64 (and that was all there was to play on DS, for a while!) and then complaining that the games were only ports etc.

Square Enix should have Yoshitaka Amano still be doing main character designs instead of Tetsuya Nomura, at least the games would have some redeeming qualities.

EDIT: What the hell? Tetsuya Nomura isn't a developer, he just designs the characters. o_0

Chrono Kitty said:
As for the FFD VS SSBB, why compare them? It's just a petty excuse for Mr Annoyance (or Mr I am always right) and Nintendtards to have a go at each other (Yes, I'm pointing at a few members). They are two totally different games, and is going to cater their fanboys/fangirls.

Hah, I love my new nickname, I'm sure it'll catch on! So, I guess this means I get to give you a nickname, too? Well, how about something like "Mr. Mind Numbingly Patronising"? Or maybe something like "Mr. Self Righteous"? Do us both a favor and stop acting like some kind of authority, because you're not ;]

And lastly, Square Enix have fallen down big time, and in my opinion, Square Enix will always be inferior to Atlus.

No, Chrono, I know from you from your posts here and on another site. You never actually liked Final Fantasy, you just liked the anime-esque story lines that you only ever appreciated on a most shallow level anyway. When the problem-stricken central character, the whimiscal love story and the steampunk was taken out of Final Fantasy (like in FFXII) and some challenge was added (with the new battle system) you started this big crusade against Square Enix. I know that's true, because it's true for loads of other whiny, superficial FF fans, too.

Lupus Inu said:
Square Enix should have Yoshitaka Amano still be doing main character designs instead of Tetsuya Nomura, at least the games would have some redeeming qualities.

Yes, I presumed you'd have little to say after that. If you're going to make mindless slurs on a perfectly good developer, then at least think it through next time ^_^

As for that ridiculous comment. Well, it's ridiculous. Good day ;]

CitizenGeek said:
If you are being genuine in your dislike for the PSP (which I most certainly do not think you are, such ill-informed vitriol as that which you just posted is very definitely the language of a Nintendo fan) then you're obviously not playing the right, or enough, games. It would be like me buying a DS, then playing only Mario64 (and that was all there was to play on DS, for a while!) and then complaining that the games were only ports etc.
Hah, I have loads of games for the PSP. They do cater to what I do like, They just don't have a long life-span in terms of enjoyment. I'm talking about games like Infected, I loved that game, Rock music whilst killing zombies and letting blood splatter everywhere. It was great. Then it died. Then along came Sonic Rivals, Which to be honest was really good. It almost had everything that made the original Sonic games good, But something was missing. Grand Theft Auto, This was the worst, I liked it but hated it at the same time. Just a problem I had with it.

And also, I'd rather be labeled at a Sony fanboy in all honesty. The Playstation 3 is fantastic as was the PS2 and 1. I only really buy their technology over other companies and I just like them. I have a problem with the PSP now. Not to mention my mine doesn't even work anymore for some reason, Its like its bricked. But I never even put any form of "homebrew" or ANYTHING on it. Pfft.

On the Square Niche note, The only people whom truly know about it know about anime or visa versa. I'm not talking about the USA or Japan, Its this here country I'm talking about.

CitizenGeek said:
I haven't played those games (and unlike most Nintendo fanboys, I rather not totally judge a game I haven't played), but GameBrink seem to think the DS version is fantastic.

Stop jumping to conclusions, you used party games as an example, so I showed you that, don't think that FF doesn't just concentrate on the core of the series, you too have seen plenty of ****** spin-offs.

CitizenGeek said:
In any case, seeing as your so sure that it's "FF" that's "captivated my heart", you'd best know that Itadaki Street is, in fact, an Enix game, and is not of the FF-developing Square. But that doesn't matter, because I'm pretty sure Itadaki Street is a better party game than the dismal Mario Party series.
Enix is part of Square now so they found Square Enix, so it's still Square soft made, mayn, you've never played an Itadaki Street game, neither have I, again, you're calling me a Nintendo fanboy but just blindly bashing the Mario games further proving you're defending the Final Fantasy games you heart. Not that I'm saying that the Mario games are actually GOOD by the way.

CitizenGeek said:
Hah, oh, I am so surprised that you, a supporter of Nintendo, is criticising a game you've never played (sarcasm, btw!). You've also claimed the Itadaki Street games are bad, and that Dissidia (a game that hasn't even been finished yet) is bad. Well done, you've really exceeded my expectations.

I never said Itadaki Street games were bad; but again, they look pretty ******, like Mario Party games only with Square Enix characters. =|
I'm not holding my breath for Dissidia, either, so far it isn't to my expectations and sounds like it plays like another generic animu game on PSP, though if it includes some GOOD Final Fantasy series like VI and IV I'm sure my interest will be perked again.

CitizenGeek said:
Square Enix are great at making RPGs, yes, but you seem to be insisting that SE are incapable of making a good, non-RPG game. Consider, if you will, SE's huge success with an online game (FFXI) and action RPGs (Kingdom Hearts) and horror games (Parasite Eve). Square Enix have done a lot with the genre (FFXII, as another example) and there's nothing to suggest that experimenting beyond the genre will prove a failure.

The last great RPG they made was uh... Final Fantasy IX, that was like 8 years ago, all the rest have been good/average, nothing ground breaking. Action RPGs? You mean games were you spam X to win? lol, great strategies, plus Kingdom Hearts isn't a mature game which is full of Yaoi-bait characters. True story. Parasite Eve actually needs a sequal, it's not getting much attention, even though the franchise was decent [certainly better than most other non-FF things created by SE] FF:XII was again, nothing special, it's an MMORPG, but it's not, with the worst lead character, ever, even making Naruto look good.

CitizenGeek said:
Hah, you're trying to prove that you're not a Nintendo fanboy by acknowledging that accepted bad games are bad? Funny. I don't "deny" that games like DoC are bad, because I actually enjoyed the game. I know that some FF games aren't all that great (FFVIII's battle system was rubbish, after all, though most probably disagree).

Mayn, this just proves you do <3 FF more than ever, now you're just lying to yourself, you actually enjoyed it? Sure you weren't forcing yourself to enjoy it not to shame the name of Square Enix? ;O

CitizenGeek said:
And yes, most people on AUKN would agree that the "PSP sucks", because this place has an ungodly number of Nintendo loyalists. Say something like that a mature gaming forum (like Eurogamer or something) and the reaction will be quite different.

A mature gaming forum? What ******** is this? There's no such thing, and you saying that, it's obvious you're implying we're all childish here, am I right? You're just using that as an excuse because people actually have common sense here, instead of being all "PS3 is superior to the Wii, and so on and so forth, hahaha" Because you're obviously a Sony fanboy who doesn't like it when people actually praise Nintendo and dub Nintendo fans as stupid. ;/

Oh and...

CitizenGeek said:
Yes, I presumed you'd have little to say after that. If you're going to make mindless slurs on a perfectly good developer, then at least think it through next time ^_^

Don't use that ^_^ on me, trying to lessen the blow, we're going all out here.

And I DARE you to name an actual good main character Nomura has made without chanting out "OMG, SEPHIROTH-SAMA, CLOUD-KUN!" Seriously, go.

Back