Hair Debate

i had the same problem at my school, the boys model... also in northern ireland... probs one of the roughest schools in the country lol

i used to have my hair really long back in a band and they said it was a breach of uniform... my dad went up and told them it was sexual discrimination and they were picking on me, they **** themselves and let me back in no probs.

i do think when it comes to things such as ur hair, piercings, tattoos ect. its the persons choice, as long as u were the actual uniform the rest is really up to urself.

As long as you try to look smart (wear a tie, shirt and blazer), the rest shouls be fine to have, in my view. Of course, jewelery in health/safety issues (i.e. P.E) must be considered, but otherwise little bits of your identity shouldn't be revoked.

And people are complaining about the length of hair? I've always have had mine short, but I saw nothing wrong with long hair.
Just dont look like a tramp (i.e. belt-thick skirts), or be abbusive (like t-shirts underneath saying "F*** you" etc.) and things should be ok.
But to complain about such a trivial thing as hair length... I suppose people just need to do something with their lives.

Short hair, especially near-baldness is intimidating and criminal like, yet long (I don't necessarily mean Herman Li extremes of long) shows class and character.

Half ass punk hairdo's (mohawks, half cuts and bald sides, backs etc) are just ******* stupid and should be wiped off the planet.

Ya.

The rule of 'no lower than the collar' for boys was the same at my school - basically I think some rules that schools impose in regards to their uniforms are stupid and pointless anyway. Suspending a kid for having it too long is overreacting though.

Until very recently I had hair past my shoulders (I cut it because it was too much hassle to look after) but as long as it's washed and brushed I don't see what the problem is.

I'd also recommend tying it back when it gets to that length - perhaps the school should rethink their policy and apply the same rules to boys and girls when their hair is of a certain length.

I just had a funny vision of a judge wearing his long ceremonial wig handing down a decision against someone for having long hair.

I hate this all the stupid things people take to the court of human rights and we still have boys persecuted because they want long hair.

Although back in the day at my school I think the only person to ever have anything done against them was a kid who turned up on his first day with a mohawk. My friend looked like Neil from the young ones most of his way through school.

I have long hair and I wouldn't cut it for the stupid reasons they give. It's not a case of being a rebel or anything like that it's just that I think I suit long hair and don't really see why it should be a problem. It's not hurting anyone and if it's in the way it can always be tied back.

Anyone hear about the boy who got suspended for buying Skittles in school?
Kurogane said:
Short hair, especially near-baldness is intimidating and criminal like, yet long (I don't necessarily mean Herman Li extremes of long) shows class and character.

Half ass punk hairdo's (mohawks, half cuts and bald sides, backs etc) are just ******* stupid and should be wiped off the planet.

Ya.
Your hairstyle is the only thing that gives you value in life.

Moarknow.png

I have longish hair. I usually wear a beenie, so the edges that stick out sort of fold outwards, looks pretty stylish if you ask me. :]

Everyone has a specific way they like to have their hair, and no one should bother questioning that.

Heh, I was just heckled by a random tracksuit ambassador in the street to "get a haircut". Ironically I have a haircut booked for Monday.

I do have pretty long hair, not really that long, but long enough to get shouted at by narrow-minded twats. I like my hair, I only really have it this way because I've been too lazy to change it for the past three or four years. Though it's a bitch to keep in check. Not to say I'm vain, but it took a good few years of "long hair experience" to work out how to make it look like nothing but a frizzy mess.

Hair in (unrelated) video form:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hd25Eeavgc

About this school, is it a public school? If so, should we expect anything different?

Gah, That collar rule is exactly what my school implements. Its ridiculous. I get irritated by them telling me when to cut my hair. I won't let it get to a unmanageable length, Reasonable is enough. One of my mates though, Now has got his hair to a fairly extreme length. It doesn't look that long, though. Mainly due to the fact that it all falls into the collar. Pfft. Only a few more weeks till the end of my secondary school life.

Espy said:
About this school, is it a public school? If so, should we expect anything different?

If by public you mean state then yes.

By the way, girls have to have their hair tied back if it's longer than the shoulder line but the girls never get picked on about that which was the core of the argument. The whole point was the boys were getting discriminated against and not the girls.

Actually, by public school I meant private school. Whoever decided those two words were to mean the same thing should be shot.

Espy said:
Actually, by public school I meant private school. Whoever decided those two words were to mean the same thing should be shot.

I've heard about it before... In UK, private owned schools are called public schools... So what o you call state owned ones?

chaos said:
I've heard about it before... In UK, private owned schools are called public schools... So what o you call state owned ones?

State-owned schools are owned and funded by the state i.e. the government. Private schools are owned and funded by private people but anyone can still get in, they just have to pay.

There are rules. He blatantly went against them, so he got punished. OH NO!

It's his own fault. Good luck to him in keeping a job, considering he's incapable of grasping basic rules.

Back