Law Journal Article Supports Fansubs

The other major factor is that people have radio to hear new music, TV to watch new programs, adverts to demonstrate new products, etc. Anime on the other hand is not shown on TV (much), and rarely is it "new" anime like Death Note, instead "classics" like NGE.

There is no way of people trying new series without resorting to fansubs. Unlike watching new shows/series as they are shown on TV like with programs such as Dexter and Heroes, which probably still sell loads after being on TV.

What I mean is, i'm more likely to buy a show/film i've seen on TV (like Azumanga Daioh, Spirited Away, Cardcaptor Sakura) then I am to buy blind. Same with normal TV, as I download every new episode of House MD as its released in the US, but still buy each new season on DVD as well.

If stuff isn't shown on TV, then fans have to resort to downloading fansubs instead.

Kireek said:
Maltos said:
Kireek said:
They go LOLOL look at me there asking for the insanr price of $1.99 for this episode of xamd when I can just download it here (cuz lets face it I can find $1.99 lying round my house but whats the point when they see it for free they wont even pay that for what the creators are asking for)

Do you also have the money for a ps3 lying around?

No but what im saying is there are people on there who do own a ps3 but still DL it illegally because they seem to find anime worthless and not the mere pittance that the industery is asking for.
I think you'll probably find that the majority of people who're downloading it probably dont own a ps3.

Acctually your probebly right about the PS3 there but what about gonzos own site were u can pay that same fee they are asking for? there pratically know1 on there.

(This thread has been somewhat derailed but know matter)

Project-2501 said:
Spyro201 said:
when I see it as the otherway around, that people are smart enough not to buy into a series blindly. They want to stream these shows, and want to download the fan subs first, to make sure they enjoy it.

Speak for yourself. I for one, and I know I'm not alone in this, just go and buy DVDs. I watch trailers on other DVDs, read reviews, look at recommendations etc..

You don't go into Pizza Hut and order a pizza but say 'I'm not sure I'll like it, can I try it for free and if I like it I might pay for it'.

But I dont go into Pizza Hut anyway. But yes, I understand what your saying. But the difference is, there isnt any way around that. If there is a way to try something for free first, just to test to see if you like it, why not? Also a single pizza is WAY cheaper than a full anime series, even if it is overpriced crap (I dont like Pizza Hut, at all.)

You don't go into Pizza Hut and order a pizza but say 'I'm not sure I'll like it, can I try it for free and if I like it I might pay for it'.
But Pizza Hut don't charge 20 quid for 3 or 4 slices. :wink:

I also blind buy alot of shows, this has led me to some great finds such as Boogiepop Phantom, Magical Shopping Arcade abenobashi and Najica Blitz Tatics, but I've also picked up some trash like New Cutey Honey, Kiddy Grade, Shadow Skill, Kai Doh Maru and many more unmentionables.

I really wish companies would be more proactive in getting their Anime onto TV, the shows that were aired on Sci-Fi many years ago were the first purchases I made on DVD, similarly Anime Network and Anime Central both influenced my buying habits.

Would big US shows such as Lost and Heroes have sold half as many DVD's if they weren't aired on TV first?

LeeDless said:
I really wish companies would be more proactive in getting their Anime onto TV, the shows that were aired on Sci-Fi many years ago were the first purchases I made on DVD, similarly Anime Network and Anime Central both influenced my buying habits.

Would big US shows such as Lost and Heroes have sold half as many DVD's if they weren't aired on TV first?
That's pretty much what i'm saying. TV is the best way to increase sales and money within anime.

And to the excuse of people think "cartoons are for kids", I provide the points of The Simpsons, South Park, Futurama, Family Guy, King of the Hill, etc. Animation isn't just for kids, its a factor of getting it shown at a reasonable time and getting people interested.

Yes, easier said than done, but I believe that's the only real solution.

The whole forum has been epic fail as of late, which is why most people have left.

Such a shame, Anime Central could have been great. Instead it's just become another nail in the coffin for UK Anime fans.
Oh well, I'm sure another channel will pop up at some point. Then we can go through it all again. :)

LeeDless said:
The whole forum has been epic fail as of late, which is why most people have left.

Such a shame, Anime Central could have been great. Instead it's just become another nail in the coffin for UK Anime fans.
Oh well, I'm sure another channel will pop up at some point. Then we can go through it all again.

But hopefully this one will succeed where the others have failed :p

BlackWolf said:
LeeDless said:

Oh well, I'm sure another channel will pop up at some point. Then we can go through it all again.

But hopefully this one will succeed where the others have failed :p

Doubt it. I really, really, Doubt it.

Why is that forum still open???

Oh and I have taken this from a ANN artical

Pizza Hut of Japan announced its promotional campaign with The Sky Crawlers, the latest anime film from director Mamoru Oshii

There u go perfect solution

Kireek said:

Pizza Hut of Japan announced its promotional campaign with The Sky Crawlers, the latest anime film from director Mamoru Oshii
I hope that's not true. I really hope that's not true.

I would have thought Oshii would be the last man in the world to sell out the corporates. Probably not his decision to make though, I guess.

Kireek said:

There u go perfect solution

So Sky Crawlers will join Code Geass and others which use Pizza Hut then :p

ayase said:
Kireek said:

I would have thought Oshii would be the last man in the world to sell out the corporates. Probably not his decision to make though, I guess.
Why you think like that? Oshii never looked particularly arty to me to have such restrictions on himself....

Look.............we are talking about the rising cost of pizza and its detrimental effect on the climate and world peace..... The law courts are seeing what they can do about it.

chaos said:
ayase said:
Kireek said:

Why you think like that? Oshii never looked particularly arty to me to have such restrictions on himself....

Just from his general philosophical nature and attitude I get from watching interviews and reading stuff he's written, I guess. I don't claim to know the guy though. Put it this way, can you imagine seeing product placement in the original Ghost In The Shell movie or Patlabor 2?

Back