London Comic Con - May 2015 Licenses

Intyrestin' crop of stuff, there!

Things that stand out to me:

Captain Earth.
Curious about the subs-only status of this release. Doesn't Sentai's US edition have a dub? Either way, will be very happy to shove my money at MVM for this.

Madoka and Railgun.
Shows I have only mild (Railgun) or no (Madoka) interest in. But I'm so pleased they've been picked up. People have been asking for these for an age! See what happens when you speak up and ask for nice things, kiddoes?

Knights of Sidonia.
YEEEEEESSSS-AAAHHH!! This is the insta-buy of the bunch for me, with Captain Earth a close second. Only detail I'm not so impresed by is the Blu Ray version being a collector's edition type affair. But I guess we'll just have to see how that turns out.

Curiosity of the bunch for me is Aldnoah Zero... not so much the fact that it got licensed, but BY ANIME LIMITED?! The show really ain't that great, in my humble opinion, and it sort of surprises me that they went for it.

Show I have the most mixed feelings about is Muv-Luv. The mecha designs of this show in what scant footage I'd seen of it really made the show look interesting, but since discovering it's fan-service-tastic jigglefest of a show, I think I'm leaning very heavily towards passing on it.

Showw I'm most pleased I have no interest in after today's announcements: Durarara x2. Multi part release has effectively killed what passing curiosity I had in it.

Biggest disappointment: No Gundam announced. With Andrew at Anime Limited teasing that some news might be forthcoming soon, and Turn A getting its first official North American release on June 2nd, I was sort of hoping we might hear something. But then, it's probably too soon for anything like that.

Oh yeah - GITS: SAC Blu Ray collection?
PLEASE MAKE IT F***IN' HAPPEN!

(See how badly I want that? It made me use ***s!)

Seriously - THIS is the kind of thing I'd happily pay top dollar for. A pristine quality, glitch free hi-def edition of one of the greatest sci fi shows in history. I know people who are ambivalent to anime who love this show. We ABSOLUTELY need this.

Apologies for double post - it seems MVM have also announced a few other acquisitions on their Facebook page. Most interesting to me is Busuo Shinki... but there's plenty more!

Anime limited mentioned on FB that they will announce another licence at the industry panel tomorrow. Wonder if it's something good or if it'll just be official confirmation of Aldnoah Zero. Wasn't mentioned at either of their own panels was it? Unsure where uk-a got the info from.

Edit - apparently it was so that means a fifth announcement from them Tomorrow.

Hope they served the best for last. Whilst they have announced some good titles for some, I personally haven't had any interest in anything they've announced so far.

I think we can safely assume that we'll see Turn A Gundam from Anime Ltd before the end of the year (or at the very least early next year)

Question, how come MVM has just been announcing stuff via twitter and don't have a panel? I found it to be pretty weird at this big event where the big distributors come and announce they're line up, MVM, who, whilst not quite as prominent as Manga or even Anime Ltd, didn't have a dedicated panel.

Also, I was just thinking, I'm a little disappointed MVM hasn't said anything about Hanamonogatari or Tsukimonogatari. I would have thought we would at least see Hana in the Summer seeing as the Aniplex set just got released recently.

I went to both of the panels today, and to be honest, so far I've actually been impressed with both the amount of titles announced, as well as the quality of the titles.
SAO II, DRRR and A/Z are all popular/debatably good titles from Aniplex, whilst Fuse is certainly something I've wanted to check out for the longest time but have been unable to due to the size of NISA's old releases.
AniManga's panel was also pretty strong, starting off with Sidonia, the Madoka movies as well as the Dead Rising Live action, and continuing on with Railgun, Index, DBZ and Parasyte.
Despite the fact I've already imported most of those titles, I was still pretty impressed, and I'm glad that some of these quality titles finally get a shot here in the UK.

Also, on the GiTS SAC Bluray thing. Jerome said he'd be happy to do it if other territories agree to do so, however he'd prefer to do complete season sets. Bandai want the show released in half season BD sets. I do wonder if things could have changed though considering a complete BD Box of both seasons has been available in Japan for a while now.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Question, how come MVM has just been announcing stuff via twitter and don't have a panel? I found it to be pretty weird at this big event where the big distributors come and announce they're line up, MVM, who, whilst not quite as prominent as Manga or even Anime Ltd, didn't have a dedicated panel.

Also, I was just thinking, I'm a little disappointed MVM hasn't said anything about Hanamonogatari or Tsukimonogatari. I would have thought we would at least see Hana in the Summer seeing as the Aniplex set just got released recently.
MVM have never had a dedicated panel. They usually post a few announcements on Facebook and them recite them at the industry panel (if they can attend). I can ask Tony tomorrow at the MVM stand about Monogatari if you like. I've asked about things previously and found him to be very upfront. I asked about Garden of Sinners Recalled Out Summer today actually, but there's no news on it other than they'd like to do a complete BD collection and include it if Aniplex JP allow them to.

MVM would only have a panel if they could share the costs! Just messing with ya :p MVM in all honestly have the only annoucment that I care about, which is Aku no Hana. It'll probably be DVD only, but a BD would be amazing! I have absolutely no care in the world for anything from the Manga and Anime Limited announcements or the rest of the MVM stuff, but here's hoping for Gunbuster or/and Millennium Actress tomorrow :p Lets do it. The only thing more hype would be Andrew and Jeremy fusing on stage tommorow, becoming the much debated and feared Andremy.

Mangaranga said:
IncendiaryLemon said:

MVM have never had a dedicated panel. They usually post a few announcements on Facebook and them recite them at the industry panel (if they attend). I can ask Tony tomorrow at the MVM stand about Monogatari if you like. I've asked about things previously and found him to be very upfront. I asked about Garden of Sinners Recalled Out Summer today actually, but there's no news on it other than they'd like to do a complete BD collection and include it if Aniplex JP allow them to.

If you could, I'd really appreciate it.

Will buy:
Love Live (both)
Fate/Stay Night
Photo Kano (which will be a blind buy - I don't do many of them any more)
Re-Kan!
Outbreak Company
Hidamari Sketch
Madoka Magica - all 3 films
Railgun

Might buy:
Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate
Kill Me Baby
Black Bullet
Golden Time

Not interested in the rest. Never really heard of Asu no Yoichi! before though first impressions from looking it up don't look particularly positive.

Lutga said:
I think we can safely assume that we'll see Turn A Gundam from Anime Ltd before the end of the year (or at the very least early next year)

I personally think, if Anime Limited are about to announce any Gundam at all (and some heavy hints were dropped a ways back that they might) then it would be either The Origin or Reconguista In G. Turn A would naturally be very welcome, but to me it doesn't make as much sense as something like G-Reco would - especially given that that's a substantially shorter series than Turn A (and one would think easier to shift, perhaps?)

My ideal situation there would be for fans to have access to Turn A from Stateside, with Anime Limited giving us a nice box set for G-Reco, and The Origin at some point later on.

But, you know me... Gundam in any form in the West is good, as far as I'm concerned. And heck, tomorrow's announcement most likely isn't going to be anything like this.

The fun is in the speculation!

Anime Limited didn't actually announce Aldnoah.Zero as far as I am aware, and the article on UK Anime has been removed, so it's pretty safe to assume that it's the last announcement.

As for Gundam, they said Andrew was hinting at what it was, and that the word turn was prominent in said hinting. I'll take any Gundam in the UK.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to import Blu rays of amazon.co.jp to the UK? I wanted to get the box set of Ghost Hound from Amazon.co.jp.

LtDiscotek said:
Just out of curiosity, is it possible to import Blu rays of amazon.co.jp to the UK? I wanted to get the box set of Ghost Hound from Amazon.co.jp.

I think you would need some kind of forwarding service.

You can just order most BDs straight from Amazon JP to the UK. It's only games and toys (and possibly a few other categories I have never used) where they block us.

The shipping costs a bomb but it's because they do what the US site does and prepay the import taxes, so the delivery is super-quick and you don't get any nasty surprises later on. Actually you usually get a partial refund of the taxes instead since their estimates aren't that accurate and tend to err on the side of caution.

R

Wait, so I can just buy right from Amazon Japan and there is zero chance of it getting caught up in customs as there is a option to pay taxes when I buy it? I had no idea....

Rui said:
You can just order most BDs straight from Amazon JP to the UK. It's only games and toys (and possibly a few other categories I have never used) where they block us.

The shipping costs a bomb but it's because they do what the US site does and prepay the import taxes, so the delivery is super-quick and you don't get any nasty surprises later on. Actually you usually get a partial refund of the taxes instead since their estimates aren't that accurate and tend to err on the side of caution.

R
This. I ordered K Missing Kings and Gundam the Origin through Amazon JP a few weeks ago. Dispatched Thursday and arrived Saturday morning.

Buzzkillington said:
Wait, so I can just buy right from Amazon Japan and there is zero chance of it getting caught up in customs as there is a option to pay taxes when I buy it? I had no idea....
There has been one instance (out of maybe 20 orders) where DHL have sent me a bill for customs, it didn't delay the package, they just sent a letter later on. I complained to Amazon (as I'd already payed the customs deposit) and they refunded the fee.

But yeah, like everyone has said so far, it's very easy and very quick to order direct from Amazon.jp, it just costs a lot. The postage charge is normally about the same as the customs handling charge, so I just see it as costing the same as if every package got caught in customs, only you don't have to wait nearly as long for your stuff.

IncendiaryLemon said:
MVM has now announced they're putting out F/SN: Unlimited Blade Works

https://twitter.com/MVM_UK/status/602068501776506880

I'm a little surprised, it's obviously a licence that many would want (though I'd assume MvM have 1st dibs) but we are only at the point where an import sub set is soon out, if they are releasing at the end of the year are they going for sub only or do they know a dub set is due is the US before the year is out?

Back