LOST

Jaymii

Baka Ranger
Lost has some sort of stigma among general folk now in the UK. Everyone used to watch it religiously for the first season, and I've come to the conclusion that most people switched off because Channel 4 hyped up the "What's in the Hatch?" cliffhanger way, way, way too much so I, and basically everyone else gave up a few episodes into the second season and not knowing where it was going.

However, I recently have rewatched it all and I'm up-to-date with the latest Season 5 episodes and It's honestly spectacular. I recommend anyone who gave up, like I did, to watch it again. It's one of the best shows on TV right now. I think one of the problems it suffers from though, is the weekly-episode format it runs in. Lost works better when marathoned as if your watching a long cinematic epic.

Sawyer is one of the best characters in the history of television. Seriously.

How many of you watch Lost? I'd like to discuss the frickin' amazingly amazing episodes as of late.

You're right, there's a huge stigma attached to it. I think it's probably deserved too, because of how over-hyped it is. I watched a few episodes of the first season (including the first one, as I'm sure everyone else did after all of that advertising) and I remember enjoying them. I think it's a series I'd enjoy an awful lot so I might pick up some boxsets and watch them over the summer :]

I think i'm one of the only people in the country who has kept with Lost the whole way through.
The excuse most people seem to give for quiting on it is that they find all the questions constantly being raised too confusing. This of course is utter ribbish since thats kind of the whole point of the series - to make us ask a thousand questions, and to be honest thats one of the things i enjoy about it most.
I will admit that Lost has had it's highs and lows, but even when it's been at it's lowest i've still found it one of the most entertaining programs on tv.
I think it will never be able to beat it's first spectacular series, because then it was all new and fresh, and everything was unknown. But i am loving this new series. Lost has always done the best cliff-hangers, and me and my family are glued to it each week.
My favourite character is also Sawyer, and i'm loving the new role he has in season 5. But i'm a little worried that his end may be coming soon. A main character is definitely going to be wiped out for good this season, someone who is apparently a fan favourite...so that doesn't sound good!

I'm really unsure about who's going to die. First thought was Sawyer, same as you, but I can't see it happening. I'd say the most likely candidates are: Hurley and Jin; the latter having less a chance of surviving, IMO. There are a lot of easy deaths that could happen... None of them being that necessary, really.

I really don't want anyone to die. Actually, I'd care the least about Jack dying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jayme said:
I really don't want anyone to die. Actually, I'd care the least about Jack dying.
Lol, so true, he's become such a bore recently, i love seeing him being put in his place by Sawyer, though i just hope Sawyer doesn't end up screwing up and proving him right!

I have to jump to thinking it will be Sawyer so i won't be too disappointed if it is. But it equally could be almost anyone, except apparently Kate. I think you are right to suspect Hurley and Jin, and i think also Sun as the creators like to kill off characters that havn't been doing so much. I also think that if it's Sun or Jin it will also have the effect of pulling on everyones heart strings, as they would probably do it just after they are reunited.
I get a little annoyed at all the killing off they do in Lost though sometimes, i often feel they do it just because they are bored of playing with a certain character, or they want to add a cheap shock factor...or they are just thinning out the ranks so they can bring in some new characters.

I get a bit miffed with the blatant new season recruits. Apart from them, there would be no obvious divisions between seasons.

I want to compare the killing in Lost to something Joss Whedon created. Joss must've discussed interesting ways to up the ante with Cuse and Lindelof.

Matthew Fox apparently is the only cast member to know the ending to it, so I think it'd be fair to say he is safe. If they do knock off Sun and Jin, I'd be a bit annoyed, but wouldn't care that much - I think its relatively unlikely since their story has been an underlying one for ages. Why bother with the separation and all that, if its all meaningless...

What are the chances of Claire just popping up, then killing her off? I'd be crazily sad if they did that.

I wonder if Clair is going to come back at some point, i would guess so since i think it's probably tied in with the whole mystery of Jack's dad, and who the heck Jacob is.
Though i must say one character i definitely thought i would see more of is Walt. He supposedly had some special powers and could do weird things, we've seen him pop back in once or twice, but it looks like whatever they might of been thinking about doing with him has just been forgotten. I can't imagine them doing anything with him since he isn't even on the island, but why would they bother to bring him back into it at all if that is the case!

"He's Our You" to me felt like the first 'Featured Character' episode in a long time. I also thought the man they brought Sayid to was going to be Faraday... Just a psychotic one. Whopper of a cliffhanger, though.

Do you think that means that the character to die is Ben, then? That's one frickin' hell of a way to do it if it is. I applaud them.

Charter_Mage said:
Though i must say one character i definitely thought i would see more of is Walt.

Can't say I agree share your sentiments on that. I have to wonder if I only like him when he's with Locke so I'm not that bothered when he's not around. If he doesn't turn up more in this season, though. I imagine he'll be back for the final season.

I agree with you, the episode felt a bit weird to me at first, because it feels like a format they havn't used in a while.
I had no expectations as to who they were taking Sayid to, but since you said that i really don't know why it didn't think it was Faraday, it seems almost like that would have been a obvious thing to do. I really do wonder whats happened to him though. He is obviously going to be in some important story twist in the future.

As for Ben. It really wasn't much of a surprise to me when Sayid shot him, though i was starting to wonder if we were going to see Sayid start to soften to him. But i think every Lost fan is now wondering the same thing as you, myself included. Is Ben really the character that dies? Personally i don't think so, the island doesn't let people who it still wants die.
But if he really is dead, what on earth does that mean, surely it would change the entire future! But maybe thats what the writers want.

I LOVE LOST!

I'm just starting series 4, half way through disc 2.....i completed the game on the 360 and thought i'd check out the series.....bought the first boxset and was captured by the storyline instantly.

Needless to say i went on a spree and bought Series 2-4 and have been watching through them whilst recording series 5 on sky+

the whole thing is captivating, Each different ep showing the past of the Oceanic 815 survivors.
there's so many twists and turns and shift of power in the series that it constantly keeps you on your toes.

Just finished the ep where Sayid and desmond go to the ship

im abit annoyed that Charlie dies, i mean...he could of waited for the room to fill up and then swim through the whole and then upto the surface.......thinking about it he had loads of time to get out of the room and close the door behind him. and the ruski would of been screwed lol....i still don't think the ruski is dead.....he lived through the fence...and an **** kicking.

one thing that's abit confusing is the way that instead of jumping back to their old lives....all of a sudden we have clips of the 8 that got off the island......Sayid, Jack, the baby, Kate, Hugo.....but who else? time will tell.....

There's six. The Oceanic 6 their called.

Also, I thought Charlie's death was more of a suicide than 'killing himself for the better good' type of thing. I liked that death an awful lot to be honest. I liked Claire and Charlie at the beginning but that romance bored me to no end in Season 3. Charlie just seemed to force himself on her, scheming to **** her. Which in all fairness, I hope he did **** her... The only death that annoyed me was Ana-Lucia's - She was my favourite character all throughout that season, and I love it when she comes back for a while. Libby wasn't terrible either.

I'm not sure what the spoiler and what to not anymore.

---

Last nights episode was interesting, and I like Kate. Didn't feel right that they didn't touch upon the love-triangle parts more because that is so much of her character, but because they left that out they got some good development with Aaron. It was quite a relaxed episode overall, though. There were no big, big questions and even the little questions got answered pretty quickly.

I loved the time-travel talk between Hurley and Miles. It was comedic yet [I suppose] informative...

The cliff-hanger wasn't much of one, but nice to hear the John's voice again. Oh, and Young Ben getting "fixed" was an incy bit lame.

I was so upset when
Charlie died. I was a huge LOTR fan before watching Lost, so i actually started watching Lost because it had Dominic Monaghan in. He was one of my favourite characters, but i knew his death was coming because of that whole thing with Desmond. I was really annoyed about it at first because i thought the same as Tachi- 'why the F*** didn't he just close the door from the other side', lol. But i think he just knew he had to die sooner or later, so it was a bit of a suicide.
As for Ana-Lucia. To be honest, i pretty much hated her from the beginning, so i thought i wouldn't care if she died. But then when she did, i felt that the series had lost a potentially really interesting character.

What really annoyed me about Libby was just that it felt completely needless, like they just couldn't be bothered with her anymore. Plus, her connection to Hurley in the mental hospital was just ridiculously thin. None of her story was ever properly explained!

---

Ok, so sundays episode.
I kind of thought that was going to happen, so there weren't really any big surprises. It was a decent episode though, since i don't mind Kate. Jack is actually the one who is becoming unbearable, it's almost like him and Sawyer have switched roles, though Jack can't make any of Sawyers wisecracks.
I suppose the only big question that was raised was what exactly is it that was done to Ben. The place where Richard took him seems like an entrance to the heart of the island, the very same place that the black smoke comes from.
I'm actually a little disappointed Ben didn't die, i think it might have been quite interesting, and then i wouldn't have to worry about who else is going to die.

Well then, THAT was an episode. I've never been that fond of Miles until now, and I really look forward to the exploration of death and the island. His and Hurley's relationship is fantastic, just because its fun.

I also enjoyed how Jack had like five sentences throughout.

The cliffhanger was sort of anti-climatic, but because of that, it was good.

That last episode was a pretty enjoyable one. Miles has been in the story for a while now so it was good to finally get to know something more about him.
It was also nice to see Hurley again. I enjoy the humour Hurley adds so i wish they would use him more, recently it seems like they have forgotten about him.
I liked the conversation they had about seeing the dead, and it made me wonder if Hurley was just talking about people like Charlie that he saw while he was off the island, or whether he is still regularly seeing dead people now.

The cliff-hanger was predictable, but still leaves me looking forward to the next episode so we can hopefully finally get some answers as to what he's been up to this whole time...that is unless they decide to go back to Locke next episode...which, knowing Lost they probably will.

I think that the social stigma for still watching LOST is because things are making sense because we hung on in there while everyone else walked away confused.

Trust me, if you tell anyone who gave up that LOST makes perfect sense, expect a huge mob with pitch forks and burning torches (or failing that, angry fists) to come for you.

Charter_Mage said:
I liked the conversation they had about seeing the dead, and it made me wonder if Hurley was just talking about people like Charlie that he saw while he was off the island, or whether he is still regularly seeing dead people now.

I got the impression he was talking about his occassional encounters from before.

As for cliffhangers, it's important to remember the flash backs, like when you see Daniel carrying a small explosive into the mine where they are digging near the bomb/source of electromagnetic stuff.

How did the bomb with Jug Head get there in the first place?
Why did Juliette, Sawyer, Miles and Daniel see the back of an Egyptian statue when they leapt into the past?
What is the smoke monster?
What lies in the shadow of the statue?
And where the hell did all of Jack's lines go?

Although I'm not really complaining about the last one. He used to be a bit of a whiney bitch. :wink:

Lol, nowadays when I'm watch Lost i barely remember Jack's existence, which in some ways feels a little weird, though I'm really rather happy about it.
I had forgotten about that big Egyptian statue, I wished we had seen a little more of that. Plus now it is even more relevant since we have seen the inside of the temple where the smoke comes from which was covered in hieroglyphics...AND we can also put them together with the images that would appear when the numbers ran out in the hatch.

Looking forward to the finale this Sunday (for those that haven't seen it yet)?

It'll be a great way to return home from college and watch it with my dad.

Immensely looking forward to the finale, also. I have to say, I'll miss Fringe not being on for a week, though. I really enjoy that show now.

So... Er... What did you guys think of The Incident?

Personally, it was fantastic, although I'm not as crazy about it as some others have been. It didn't pull out as many surprises, which made it feel like its trying to wrap up now. I'm having trouble comparing it to other finales since I marathoned the show. I loved The Island disappearing, but I wonder if I would have had this same eager patience if I had to wait a year until more last year.

Anyway, I like the teaser of somebody's eye for the sixth season. It's Jack's in my opinion, but people have been suggesting others, including Charlie's. Which would be very, very cool.

Was surprised by no Claire. Also surprised by Juliet's non-death (since her new pilot has been been picked up). Liked the mentioning of "Live Together, Die Alone", also. The opening scene was cool, as well. Anti-Jacob and Jacob apparently.

Plus, there's all this new viral stuff going on. @Epithet Alpha and @Simeon Hobbes. Along with And With This Fire I Purify on YouTube. Also, this. Clueless Am I.

Back