Most annoying shopping moments.

link2link8

Kiznaiver
for example I'll start:

I ordered haruhi volume 03 from anime-online in November had to wait til January until they told me they were out of stock.

anyone had these moments?

I ordered a (extremely hard to find) mens t-shirt from play.com, but they sent me the wrong one. By the time i recieved it they'd sold out of my size.

Even more annoying is the fact that 3 months after returning it i still haven't got a refund :x

I once ordered a Japanese Beyblade from a website.

About a year later it arrived, by that time, I didn't care about Beyblade.

I bought Battle Angel Alita: Last Order up to volume six, before discovering seven has become an expensive rarity. Cheapest I've seen is over £30. Not a chance.

I get more annoyed if I order something, and then it drops in price a *lot* before I get around to using it. Happens with video games all the time, which is part of the reason I largely stopped buying them.

I would say the most annoying is buying something that comes in an artbox and the seller sends it in the type of packaging that allows it to get squashed - examples include GitS SAC Volume 1 Ltd Edition (Region 1) and Megazone 23 volume 1 Ltd Edition (Region 1). I have also had it happen once or twice with video games that come in artboxs.

I terms of shipping times HMV took around half a year to tell me that they could not find a copy of a cd while Forbidden Planet took around half a year to find a copy of a Judge Dredd graphic novel (I ordered both for my brother).

I pre-ordered a set of Hetalia figures at around Christmas time (2009) that were schedueled to be released in January. By the time the date hit, I got an e-mail from the store saying they'd been delayed until Feburary. Fair enough. When the Feburary date hit, I got another e-mail saying they'd been delayed until March... then April... by this point most of the other online stores I use already had the figures in-stock, but with this site they just continued to be delayed... then May... then June...

Eventually I got impatient and wasn't too interested in owning the figures any more, so I was just about to cancel my order when I found a e-mail sent that very day saying they had been shipped.

So yeah, wasn't too impressed, recieving my figures 6 months later than expected. Ah well, at least I did end up getting them.

Wildcard said:
I bought Battle Angel Alita: Last Order up to volume six, before discovering seven has become an expensive rarity. Cheapest I've seen is over £30. Not a chance.

Hmm.. thats very odd! I wonder how many people have bought the German version Amazon.co.uk are currently listing :?

Project-2501 said:
Wildcard said:

Hmm.. thats very odd! I wonder how many people have bought the German version Amazon.co.uk are currently listing :?

I almost did before noticing the language, it's strange that one volume would be so massively expensive in English while the rest can be snapped up for £5-10. Can only assume it's out of print.

EDIT:

Project-2501 said:
See edit. Very much a WTF when I scrolled down and saw 'German'.

*stokes his copy of vol7*

Lucky, lucky you... :p

mangaman74 said:
...the type of packaging that allows it to get squashed
Which describes Amazon's usual packaging perfectly. If I know something's going to be in a digipack I'll order it from HMV as they use rigid boxes.

Not anime related, but I was aghast when I went to the sorting office today to find that three hardback books I'd ordered had been loosely shoved into a big Amazon Squish-things-and-fall-out-pack™ - No visible damage, miraculously.

Spent £100 on the complete NGE Platinum tin, saw it in the same shop for £30 a week later. :(

Saw the origional uncut US release of Dragon Ball Z - Dead Zone with comedian Peter Kelamis as Son Goku on Play.com, bought it, and ended up getting the second US edition (Ultimate Uncut) with the redub (which I already had)... and it was scratched up... with a torn cover...

Still played all right.

I hesitated to buy a £1 copy of Orguss 02, and let the opportunity to do so pass. I later discovered how the release was far from bargain-bin material, and thus settled for an online copy priced at six times that amount.

Zin5ki said:
I hesitated to buy a £1 copy of Orguss 02, and let the opportunity to do so pass. I later discovered how the release was far from bargain-bin material, and thus settled for an online copy priced at six times that amount.

What......SIX POUNDS?!?! (sorry)

Anyways, decided not to get Kekko Kamen UK release brand new at 3 or 4 pounds a couple of years ago. I then decided I did want it last year and found that it had become rather 'elusive' shall we say. Eventually found a reasonably priced one (used) on eBay. I don't like buying used.... :/

megagold5 said:
Zin5ki said:

What......SIX POUNDS?!?! (sorry)

Anyways, decided not to get Kekko Kamen UK release brand new at 3 or 4 pounds a couple of years ago. I then decided I did want it last year and found that it had become rather 'elusive' shall we say. Eventually found a reasonably priced one (used) on eBay. I don't like buying used.... :/

Yeah Im not into used DVDs as well but sometimes it's the only way to get a DVDs thats out of print and in my case i did that with the Dune mini series (non-anime) and Puni Puni Poemi (anime)

Zin5ki said:

I preordered Orguss 02 from MVC when it was first released. When I went in to pick it up they did not have a copy behind the counter but there was a copy on the shelf. It was not shrink-wrapped so I asked for a copy to be ordered in.

When I opened it up and checked the disc it was covered in dust (the playback side that is) - there was not a a single area that was not covered in dust. I cleaned it and it played okay but I was still surprised that a disc that was shrink-wrapped could be so dirty.

Most annoying thing I've done when purchasing anime was to buy the first box sets of Planetes and .hack//Sign at a really cheap price. But then buying the second sets at 3 times or 4 times the price. :mad:

for my money, nothing is more annoying than paying a fair sum for a box set, only to find that when you play it, it has a number of playback issues because THE QUALITY CONTROL WAS NON-EXISTENT.

Bandai are particularly bad for this. I have several of their US box sets that refused to play properly on my region 1 player.

And I have special loathing for the skipping and audio cut outs on the Beez release of Eureka Seven. The skipping seems to be present on random copies of the discs, while the audio cut outs on the last few episodes of the first box set are common to all.

That is simply unacceptable.

Years ago when importing meant ebay, I got into a bidding war with someone over a book. I then discovered that the seller turned out to have an online store and they were selling the same book at cover price (and thereafter I used otaku.com a lot until I discovered Yesasia).

Sticking to the subject of Otaku mind.. when I was still collecting the Kiddy Grade LE DVDs (some volumes of which were getting hard to find since I'd started buying them late and had to both catch up and spread the cost out) I was placing special orders with them. They said they couldn't get volume 10 so I managed to track down a copy elsewhere... then they suddenly invoiced me for volume 10 anyway. Still have that spare shrinkwrapped copy.

I collected Dennou Coil from Yes Asia as it was released, but one volume they said was out of stock - despite me having pre-ordered it. Had to get it from CDJapan instead, where I paid extra for shipping and also had to pay customs and handling fees.

While I can't really blame them for this one since there was like one guy left shovelling out the remains of their warehouse to the circling vultures, when ADV UK were closing down I ordered a copy of the Shinkai Collection, although I already had a copy of Voices. What arrived was the singles for Voices and Place Promised, meaning I now had two of the former and still didn't have the booklet that came with the collection.

Crikey, you've got enough moments to go around for a few of us!

I mentioned this in the "anime you haven't watched that you bought thread", but recently I picked up the second half of Ouran Host Club... forgetting that I had bought the whole series, and not just the first half. >_>

Thinking back about six years or so, I placed an order for a single volume of Genshiken from Amazon Japan, with the intention of cancelling it if I couldn't combine it with some other stuff before it shipped. Can't remember what happened the next couple of days, but I never got around to sorting it, so ended up paying Amazon's full express shipping for one volume of manga.

Back