UK Anime Distributor MVM Entertainment Discussion Thread

Wow, these are some excellent pick ups for MVM. Princess Principal and Made in Abyss were two of the best shows last season, and Girls' Last Tour and UQ Holder are for this season. They're really sweeping up. I also see another licence has jumped the Manga ship in the form of Umaru. Considering most of Manga's notable titles have been Sentai recently, and all of their licences are going MVM's way, I wonder what that leaves them in terms of licences, especially with AL sweeping up most AOA and CR titles and Funimation seemingly going to Universal.

Made in Abyss should be a huge title for them. No game no life movie is a great pick up as is Girls Last Tour and Princess Principle. Some excellent titles MVM have have has a great comic con.

If there was a vote for distributor announcements of the weekend MVM would be winning by a mile (at least thus far). Maybe AL can pull something out of their hat tomorrow but MVM looking difficult to beat.

Great batch of title's from MVM. Dissapointed by the lack of Kizumonogatari & Koyomimonogatari if I'm being honest but that'll happen time I hope..

These are Anime Strike title's are they not?

Great batch of title's from MVM. Dissapointed by the lack of Kizumonogatari & Koyomimonogatari if I'm being honest but that'll happen time I hope..

These are Anime Strike title's are they not?

They are sentai titles, who in the US posts them on the anime strike service, and Hidive in the UK.

Well, looks like I was on the money with my belief that many of the big titles will now be going to MVM due to their close relationship to Sentai, who's currently reaping the benefits of their Amazon partnership. Congrats to them, especially regarding Made in Abyss. I have reservations, but they're chiefly aimed at Sentai being behind the product. Can't wait for a mediocre dub, zero on-disk extras and a crazy expensive deluxe edition shaped like a Mitty hand-puppet or something equally daft.

I mentioned this on twitter, but I do hope MVM uses this as an opportunity to go the Anime Limited route and make some nice thick cardboard collector's sets that fall somewhere between the two extremes of barebones amarays and novelty sets Sentai will no doubt release overseas. Maybe a booklet or equivalent would be nice, but nothing that jacks the price up to absurd levels (unless it's something decent like an art book, rather than military shell casing packaging or something just as gaudy). Their Berserk BD release was a great example of producing a nice looking shelf piece that doesn't break the bank, so I really hope they pursue more mid-tier like that product in future

MVM will probably be selective in what they give a CE. They also don't always emulate Sentai see the Monster Musume set in terms of box size. Not all those titles deserve or warrant a CE so I'd rather they pick 3-4 and make nice sets for them. You have to appreciate they are a very small team and don't have the resources of AL so any content will be taken directly from Sentai which includes booklets and artwork.

Good for MVM though they have had to pick up scraps for the last couple of years now they are getting some great titles.

Regardless of which title they'll do a CE for, I'll gurantee you'll know which company it's from and what age rating it'll have by looking at your shelve /s

Great pickups though, looking forward to them.

MVM will probably be selective in what they give a CE. They also don't always emulate Sentai see the Monster Musume set in terms of box size. Not all those titles deserve or warrant a CE so I'd rather they pick 3-4 and make nice sets for them. You have to appreciate they are a very small team and don't have the resources of AL so any content will be taken directly from Sentai which includes booklets and artwork.

Good for MVM though they have had to pick up scraps for the last couple of years now they are getting some great titles.

Sure thing. I'm not expecting their output to suddenly ramp up, or many of the shows I love (cough Flip Flappers) to get nice, fancy editions, but if the time, economic viability and licensor freedom is there to do it, hopefully some sets in the vein of Berserk would be nice. I just hope they aren't made to follow Sentai's current model and release exact versions of their product in future. Obviously, there's no evidence of that taking place, but considering any potential assets for collectors editions will come down from/need to be approved by Sentai, I hope it doesn't turn out to be a case of go big (literally) or go home.

I only mentioned Anime Limited as, fan nit-picking aside, they've hit a sweet spot with making nice shelf items. If possible I'd prefer a little more than a single amaray, but I certainly don't to see the ridiculous pricy sets currently coming from Sentai, which are less concerned with production assets or on-disk extras, than gimmicks like Bento box casing, sports socks and handkerchiefs. I'm happy to have left that nonsense behind in the mid-00's, so it's a bit disheartening to see them returning again. Looking at you and your giant Speed Racer Head set, Funimation. ^^

Well I don't think MVM have ever really fully cloned a Sentai set outside of NGNL (which lacked the tacky extras like the playing cards)

Their GATE release is also looking different from sentais, but containing the same flag, booklet and iron on patch as sentais if they are copying Madman's set, which they said is pretty much the case on twitter.

In terms of extras and packaging etc it's all down to what's available for us and what the licensor allows us to use/do. Sometimes some items may be classed as exclusive to a certain product, but not available for us. But these are all a long way off yet so see what happens.

Thinking of what MVM have licenced there is quite a bit I want.

Granblue Fantasy
Grimore of Zero
Sword Orita
Made in Abyss
GATE
Monster Musume
Princess Priciple
Girls Last Tour
No game no life movie

And that doesn't include any future Monogatari licences.

Same as above most of them. There bonfire sale I was looking forward to....not so much now. The fact that zavvi had a good offer last week 20% off some bargains were there. Mvm main sale will probably be Christmas. This one will be stock they are struggling to shift so they will reduce .....

Back