New Evangelion movie scores big at Japanese box office

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
The first (out of four) of the new Evangelion movies (titled "Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone") opened in Japan late last week and wasted no big in impacting on the national box office - it went straight in at number one, in the process collecting 2.4 million US dollars!
Many have essentially <a href="http://animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?p=6207532">described the apocalyptic mecha movie</a> as a re-animating of the first six TV episodes, while the now hugely anticipated second movie (due for release in 2008) is said to feature new characters and a fresh narrative direction.

Sounds good. Finally saw the last 6 episodes of Evangelion this week. I have to say it was a good series and I now really want to see the End of Evangelion before I see this. Although seeing as I doubt we'll see fansubs for a year or so and an offical release for at least 2 years i've got plenty of time. :p

Must learn Japanese..........:roll:

Great to hear but to be honest even if they slammed it in the reviews id still go and see it in a flash. How was End of Eva received in Japan? I know opinion is very much divided by fans but what about the critics and movie-goers in Japan?

Sakimori said:
Although seeing as I doubt we'll see fansubs for a year or so and an offical release for at least 2 years i've got plenty of time. :p

Where there's a will theres a way

and where there's mobile phones that can record over 3 hours of video footage, theres an even bigger way

Hmm, I don't think any reviews have said it was bad, just that it's been too similar to the original 6 eps. Many reviews, including that AnimeNation one have been positive!

I seriously need to see this movie!

It's good to hear it's doing well but I'm guessing quite a lot of people just went out of a very strong sense of curiosity (I'd be over to the cinema to see it in a flash given the chance as well) so I'm not going to make any judgements on its quality just yet.

At least there's no worry of it not being licenced over here...I'd wager Manga Ent and ADV are fighting tooth and nail over it as we speak.

M M M said:
does any1 no when evangelion 1.0 will be released in da uk? :mrgreen:
Unfortunatley nothing has been announced as of yet, probably gunna be awhile like up to a year + but keep checking back here, you can be sure that as soon as a release date is even rumoured there will be a thread on here

CitizenGeek said:
Hmm, I don't think any reviews have said it was bad, just that it's been too similar to the original 6 eps. Many reviews, including that AnimeNation one have been positive!
Actually it was more the fact that they mentioned that product placement was obvious and rampant, pointless nipple nudity and the fact that kawrou seems to be brought in early for the fangirls. It just sounds a bit cheap to me. I'm not totally disregarding it but it's nowhere near the top of my 'must watch' list.

Sy said:
CitizenGeek said:
Actually it was more the fact that they mentioned that product placement was obvious and rampant, pointless nipple nudity and the fact that kawrou seems to be brought in early for the fangirls. It just sounds a bit cheap to me. I'm not totally disregarding it but it's nowhere near the top of my 'must watch' list.

That is exactly what knocked it down a few notches for me as well. It more or less proves the point that (as far) its a big cash in

Sy said:
CitizenGeek said:

Hmm, I don't understand how product placement somehow degrades a work of cinema in some people's eyes. Care to explain?

As for Kaworu, I think you're just assuming that Kaworu is there for fangirls. So, writing RoE off based on a presumption seems a little silly to me. Anyway, I think it's unfair to say that Kaworu was just a fanservice character, especially after how significant a role he played in episode 24.

CitizenGeek said:
Hmm, I don't understand how product placement somehow degrades a work of cinema in some people's eyes. Care to explain?
Product placement is a great way of making money and if done wrong it can just seem like a laughable advert trying to pretend it ain't. If it's made too obvious (and it must have been since it's been mentioned) then it can be cheap and tacky. It adds to the speculation that this is just a cash in as well.
CitizenGeek said:
So, writing RoE off based on a presumption seems a little silly to me.
I said I wasn't writing it off, it's just hearing about all this has killed some anticipation about seeing it.

Well i must say i dont particularly care about product placement, it is annoying if overdone a lot but practically every film/tv series has some sort of product placement in it so you cant really put Eva down just on that basis. Whats more this is how studios raise funds to make films, they've gotta do it someway. Im not excusing Eva as i would have thought they'd already had the funds, im just saying that some films NEED product placement in order for there to be a film. I'd prefer to have a film with a coke bottle in the background once or twice rather than no film at all.

Sometimes product placements helps to immerse the viewer and make the experience all the more real. Tons of people drink coke in real life, why not have people drinking it in a film? Likewise apple laptops are popular, why cant a character have a laptop? Most of the time even if there isnt product placement its something that looks like x brand anyway.

The only thing wrong with product placement is when the item is just stuck in the centre of a shot for a loooong time and actually gets in the way of the film. Anything other than that and its all good in my book.

Liquid Skin said:
practically every film/tv series has some sort of product placement in it so you cant really put Eva down just on that basis.
Indeed but the fact that they actually felt the need to mention it in a review suggested that it was a little blatant.

Sy said:
Liquid Skin said:
practically every film/tv series has some sort of product placement in it so you cant really put Eva down just on that basis.
Indeed but the fact that they actually felt the need to mention it in a review suggested that it was a little blatant.

Well unless ive read the reviewer's other stuff and agree with the majority of what he's said i'll take that with a grain of salt. Reviewers just state what they made of the film. Yes they tart it up with a lot of media jargon but at the end of the day they say what they liked and disliked about the film or what most people they believe would like or dislike about it.

Hehe i hate critics as you can tell, i wish i could get paid to just write my likes and dislikes about x novel/film/game :p

Thinking about it wasn't there a little product placement within the Eva series? I seem to recall one episode, 23 i think, where Asuka is clearly playing on a sega saturn (those were the days :lol: ) on a tv with Sega written on it. A good example of product placement would be the new transformers movie.

Back