New Evangelion movie scores big at Japanese box office

Sy said:
Liquid Skin said:
practically every film/tv series has some sort of product placement in it so you cant really put Eva down just on that basis.
Indeed but the fact that they actually felt the need to mention it in a review suggested that it was a little blatant.

No, it's been mentioned because it was one of the most significant differences between the original, and this remake. It's significant because it shows how far Eva has come - that's why it's mentioned. I don't think any of the reviews I've read have called the product placement jarring or anything like that.

I agree that Eva has at least changed since it was first released. It used to be a landmark in anime, now it's just become a money farm. I'm not going to say anymore on this because it's pointless. When I see it my mind might be changed but for the moment what I've heard about it has just made me think that it is in fact a big dollop of fanservice.

Personally I think it is mentioned particularly because product placement very rarely happens in anime. Sure you get the odd scene with someone who appears to be playing on a Playstation or something similar but you very rarely see any brand names and those brand names you see are usually mangled in some way (Sony being renedered as Somy for example). It happens so much in hollywood movies that it is not worthy of mention but appearing in a Japanese anime is significant because of its rarity.

Sy said:
I agree that Eva has at least changed since it was first released. It used to be a landmark in anime, now it's just become a money farm.

So, an anime can't be both a landmark and heavily merchandised? Because, you know, I didn't think commercial sucess alters the impact an anime has, but perhaps I was wrong?

CitizenGeek said:
Sy said:
I agree that Eva has at least changed since it was first released. It used to be a landmark in anime, now it's just become a money farm.

So, an anime can't be both a landmark and heavily merchandised? Because, you know, I didn't think commercial sucess alters the impact an anime has, but perhaps I was wrong?
People seem to forget that the reason it is a "landmark" is because of its perceived popularity and became merchandisable. It is that very merchantability that made it a landmark rather than the other way around.

Silly me for thinking it recieved landmark status due to the fact that it was something groundbreaking for anime in it's time and all this merchandising that followed was just a wonderful way of playing into the fanboys wallets.

Gawyn said:
People seem to forget that the reason it is a "landmark" is because of its perceived popularity and became merchandisable. It is that very merchantability that made it a landmark rather than the other way around.

That's the first I've heard of Eva being considered a landmark series becuase it was "merchandisable". Eva wasn't even the first mecha show that became merchandisable - I think you've got it all wrong, really. Eva was a landmark because it elevated anime to a whole new level. A lot of people think it lifted anime out of the doldrums it was in.

CitizenGeek said:
Gawyn said:

That's the first I've heard of Eva being considered a landmark series becuase it was "merchandisable". Eva wasn't even the first mecha show that became merchandisable - I think you've got it all wrong, really. Eva was a landmark because it elevated anime to a whole new level. A lot of people think it lifted anime out of the doldrums it was in.
If it weren't popular and hence merchandisable then nobody would have wanted to emulate it. If nobody wanted to emulate it then it would not have been groundbreaking (it broke no new ground since it made no impact on anything following it). That, to me, is simple economics. But then, perhaps I am looking at this from a different angle from Eva fans since I am decidedly not an Eva fan.

Can someone tell me what these new NGE movies are about, since I'm not sure if I'm following. There are new NGE movies, are they live action or re-makes? Someone give me the low-down. :]

Nemphtis said:
Can someone tell me what these new NGE movies are about, since I'm not sure if I'm following. There are new NGE movies, are they live action or re-makes? Someone give me the low-down. :]

Basically:

Cash-in remakes of the series with like 6 episodes a piece going into one long movie as there are four movies, and apparently Anno has promised a new ending with the fourth movie which better not be ****** [TV ending] and better be epic [EoE ending].

Lupus Inu said:
Nemphtis said:

Basically:

Cash-in remakes of the series with like 6 episodes a piece going into one long movie as there are four movies, and apparently Anno has promised a new ending with the fourth movie which better not be ****** [TV ending] and better be epic [EoE ending].

:? I thought the fourth movie was to be set after the series, acting like a sequel

BlackWolf said:
Lupus Inu said:
Nemphtis said:

Basically:

:? I thought the fourth movie was to be set after the series, acting like a sequel
Hell, I don't know, and honestly don't really care either, all I know is Anno promised some new crap which is why everyone is fussing over the movies now anyway, otherwise no one would really care to be honest.

Gawyn said:
But then, perhaps I am looking at this from a different angle from Eva fans since I am decidedly not an Eva fan.

That's probably it, then.

BlackWolf said:
I thought the fourth movie was to be set after the series, acting like a sequel

I haven't heard that, to be honest. I think the final two movies are going to be release at cinemas simulataneously and will have a different ending.

Lupus Inu said:
BlackWolf said:
Lupus Inu said:
Nemphtis said:

Basically:

Hell, I don't know, and honestly don't really care either, all I know is Anno promised some new crap which is why everyone is fussing over the movies now anyway, otherwise no one would really care to be honest.

I guess I'll do some research on this later, as I'm still quite lost.

Nemphtis said:

I think Lupus Inu's explanation is a little too cynical.

I'll give it a try: Basically, it's a remake of the 26-episode series in the form of 4 movies. The first one (sub-titled You Are (Not) Alone) was released in Japan last week. The first movie was a re-telling of the first 6 eps with some different scenes and stuff like that. The second movie, however, looks like it'll be a lot more different from the original - with the introduction of a brand new female character, newly designed Evas and Kaworu coming on the scene a lot earlier than he did in the original. The final two movies are going to be an all new ending.

Make any more sense?

Check out this PV for the theme of the Eva movie. It's called "Beautiful World" and is like a 5 minute trailer for the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to9K_wCUlh0

I really like the song, and looking at the clips, I don't think it's worth getting worried about product placement etc. After all, this is Hideki Anno - he'd never sell out, that's not sarcasm either, Anno is one of the finest anime directors out there and I've got 100% faith in whatever he choses to do.

Paul said:
Check out this PV for the theme of the Eva movie.

Woah woah woah ( sweet child of mine! ) You mean they've ditched Thesis?

That's like making a Bond film without the Deh-da-duh-dar, de-dar-darrr.

And I know you said you like it, but I listened to "Beautiful World" from the link you posted and found it a little boring to be honest. ( I admit to only listening to half of it though. )

Tasker said:
Paul said:
Check out this PV for the theme of the Eva movie.

Woah woah woah ( sweet child of mine! ) You mean they've ditched Thesis?

That's like making a Bond film without the Deh-da-duh-dar, de-dar-darrr.

And I know you said you like it, but I listened to "Beautiful World" from the link you posted and found it a little boring to be honest. ( I admit to only listening to half of it though. )

A lot of people that complain about Eva 1.0 not being justifiably different to the first 6 eps are the same people who complain at the absense of 'Thesis - so, it's hard to please everyone! Personally, I absolutely love Beautiful World (and Utada's version of Fly Me to the Moon is my favorite rendition of that iconic theme yet!). Of course, Cruel Angel's Thesis is better, but I like the fact they used a new song as the theme (especially one as excellent as Beautiful World!).

CitizenGeek said:
Nemphtis said:

I think Lupus Inu's explanation is a little too cynical.

I'll give it a try: Basically, it's a remake of the 26-episode series in the form of 4 movies. The first one (sub-titled You Are (Not) Alone) was released in Japan last week. The first movie was a re-telling of the first 6 eps with some different scenes and stuff like that. The second movie, however, looks like it'll be a lot more different from the original - with the introduction of a brand new female character, newly designed Evas and Kaworu coming on the scene a lot earlier than he did in the original. The final two movies are going to be an all new ending.

Make any more sense?

Daaaaamn, that sounds sweet.

They sure know how to milk a series, though!

Back