New US anime licenses at the Anime Expo

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
This weekend is arguably the most exciting of the year for US anime fans; the Anime Expo (the biggest US anime event that attracts over 40,000 anime fans every day for four days) is currently under way in California and as a result, the North American anime industry is out in force, annoucing exciting new anime licenses through out the next few days.
Below is a regularly updated summary of all the anime licenses announced at the Anime Expo:
<ul> <strong>ADV Films</strong>
<li>Devil May Cry</li>
<li>Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora</li>
<li>Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann</li>

<strong>Bandai Visual USA</strong>
<li>Gundam MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079</li>
<li>Super Robot Wars Original Generation - TV series</li>
<li>Super Robot Wars Original Generation - OVA</li>

<strong>Funimation</strong>
<li>Darker than Black</li>
<li>Jyo Oh Sei</li>
<li>Love Hina (Bandai's original license was expiring in 2008; FUNimation have bought it instead)</li>
<li>Negima!?</li>
<li>Tsubasa (second season)</li>

<strong>Geneon</strong>
<li>Deltora Quest</li>
<li>Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha</li>
<li>Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's</li>
<li>Shakugan no Shana OVA</li>

<strong>Right Stuf</strong>
<li>Victorian Romance Emma (both seasons)</li>
</ul>
Of course, it's worth keeping in mind that a lot of this anime will eventually be hitting the UK too (especially the licenses from the likes of ADV Films).

ADV have won back my heart by licensing Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann! A great series!

Paul said:
ADV have won back my heart by licensing Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann! A great series!

Haven't seen it; but going to buy the first volume; i hope we get a UK release, They picked it up quickly by all means as well.

Probably won't try out any of the others.

Paul said:
Just trying to think of the ADV regulars who'll be doing the V.A.ing. Brave of them to pick it up when it isn't even finished and the mixed reaction it's been getting.

hopeful_monster said:
Paul said:
Brave of them to pick it up when it isn't even finished and the mixed reaction it's been getting.

I've tried replying to your comment a few times now but I can't really look at Gurren Lagann objectively; it's a like a combination of a lot of what I really love about anime, the colorful, fluid animation, over the top action and characterization through friendship. For me, it's a sure fire hit (anyone who doesn't agree has bad taste! ;)) Viral is my hero!

Paul said:
hopeful_monster said:
Paul said:
Brave of them to pick it up when it isn't even finished and the mixed reaction it's been getting.

I've tried replying to your comment a few times now but I can't really look at Gurren Lagann objectively; it's a like a combination of a lot of what I really love about anime, the colorful, fluid animation, over the top action and characterization through friendship. For me, it's a sure fire hit (anyone who doesn't agree has bad taste! ;)) Viral is my hero!
Don't get me wrong, enjoying the series so far, but it's Gianax. And they have a nasty habit of making... dubious endings to great series. Any other production company i'd be less worried, but after Eva and Mahoromatic S2 I'm concerned.
As for the negative reaction, i was refering to the 2chan incident.

Sakimori said:
X_nick_X said:
Whoa devil may cry already.

Fan subbers are stuffed :shock:

Yes that was quite fast :p.

ADV probably had it licensed long long before it aired. Given how popular the games are, this will sell very very well for them.

I'm really excited about Gurren-Lagann though. Great series, I really can't wait until I get my hands on it. A lot of the controversy surrounding the show is exaggerated, given it only concerns one episode and the reaction of fans to it.

Noratav said:
Sakimori said:
X_nick_X said:
Whoa devil may cry already.

Fan subbers are stuffed :shock:

Yes that was quite fast :p.

ADV probably had it licensed long long before it aired. Given how popular the games are, this will sell very very well for them.

I'm really excited about Gurren-Lagann though. Great series, I really can't wait until I get my hands on it. A lot of the controversy surrounding the show is exaggerated, given it only concerns one episode and the reaction of fans to it.

Wouldn't surprise me :?

Paul said:
Shakugan no Shana OVA

I hope Geneon make this a release with an artbox to hold the rest of the series. Yay for Nanoha, I just hope they re-release Card Captor Sakura sometime!!!

All round great news so far, and still 2 days of the Expo left : D
I can't wait to hear how Funimation plan to release One Piece.
Not that that is the one and only thing I can't wait to hear about; there's so much stuff!!

Not heard much about the anime ADV licensed, from the looks of it on AniDB they look great though.

EDIT: Goodness me, just found this:

AnimeOnDVD said:
-Geneon has licensed the Shakugan no Shana OVA (1 episode, 26 minutes)
-It will be sold the same as the Mahoromatic OVA was; separately as well as with a box for the entire series

Great, Gurren Lagann is licensed! Great series though i need to carry on watching it after episode 8. Thats one i'll be getting. Devil May Cry being licensed so suddenly doesn't really surprise me considering the fact that the Game series itself is popular both state-side and in Europe. Still good news here, though i would like to see Claymore licensed at some point.

hopeful_monster said:
... but it's Gianax. And they have a nasty habit of making... dubious endings to great series. Any other production company i'd be less worried, but after Eva and Mahoromatic S2 I'm concerned.

But they also made Abenobashi and that actually had a decent ending that fit in with the overall story, so they 'are' capable of not ending a series in an odd way. :D

Wtf @ Devil May Cry license, how... wrong. Also lol @ Toppa getting licensed... I still need to see it, maybe I should just wait for the DVD release in a years time.

EDIT: Claymore needs to be [hopefully] licensed by Funimation, seriously.

Updated the list - Right Stuf have picked up both seasons of Victorian Romance Emma. No doubt, that's the biggest niche license of the event so far - and ironically, an anime set in England won't be dubbed (Right Stuf has said the release will be sub-only)!

The Shakagun No Shana OVA... Not really worth watching for people who are desperate to see action. This see the lighter, and the more comedic side. But can be peverted.

In my opinion, not worth it to watch. I suggest sticking to the main series.

ADV Films

Devil May Cry

YAYAYAYAYAY *is overly happy* DMC is one of my favourite Game series, so I can't wait to get hold of the DVD when it hits the UK (Hopefully won't be long now)

But if they haven't got the same Dub actor who did the game, I'm switching to the Subs[/quote]

It's no surprise with Gurren Lagann, although I wasn't expecting the news as soon as this. Great stuff.

Emma's a bit of an unusual one, which makes me all the more tempted to check it out.

I wish Geneon had licensed The Shana film as well. One episode seems like a bit of a waste to bring out on a DVD on it's own.

Funimation have picked up:

# Darker than BLACK
# Jyo Oh Sei
# Love Hina
# Negima (second season)
# Tsubasa (second season)

Darker than BLACK is a good license; one of the better series to air in the spring season for sure - though it's not one of Yoko Kanno's better soundtracks unfortunately.

Back