New US anime licenses at the Anime Expo

Paul said:
Funimation have picked up:

# Darker than BLACK
# Jyo Oh Sei
# Love Hina
# Negima (second season)
# Tsubasa (second season)

Darker than BLACK is a good license; one of the better series to air in the spring season for sure - though it's not one of Yoko Kanno's better soundtracks unfortunately.

Love Hina? thats been licensed for ages hasn't it?

I guessed it would have to be somthing like that. Wonder if that means MVM will lose its UK license of the seires :?
Anyway its good to hear about Negima second series being licensed. *i'm kinda a big Negima fan :p*

Sakimori said:
I guessed it would have to be somthing like that. Wonder if that means MVM will lose its UK license of the seires :?

Probably, it'll do a "Gunslinger Girl" and just be reissued by Revelation.

Paul said:
Sakimori said:

I hope so :( Did they just get the Tv series or the series and the movies and Ovas as well? or don't you know?

Sakimori said:
Paul said:
Sakimori said:

I hope so :( Did they just get the Tv series or the series and the movies and Ovas as well? or don't you know?

FUNimation have got the lot according to AoDVD and ANN - so that includes the Spring and Christmas specials.

Also, completely unrelated to this post but Dark Horse have licensed the Gantz manga. Apparently this was "too hot" to handle a couple of years ago, but now, not so much I guess? Looking forward to see what they do with these releases, it's a great manga series.

Paul said:
Sakimori said:
Paul said:
Sakimori said:

FUNimation have got the lot according to AoDVD and ANN - so that includes the Spring and Christmas specials.

Also, completely unrelated to this post but Dark Horse have licensed the Gantz manga. Apparently this was "too hot" to handle a couple of years ago, but now, not so much I guess? Looking forward to see what they do with these releases, it's a great manga series.

Ah well, it will be interesting to see if they re dub it or just launch it with the old dub (which i hate), and cool about the Gantz manga, i've heard its a lot better than the anime. But I guess we'll see.

Paul said:
Darker than BLACK is a good license; one of the better series to air in the spring season for sure - though it's not one of Yoko Kanno's better soundtracks unfortunately.

I watched up to episode 5 of Darker Than BLACK and got incredibly bored; i felt it was odd, because looking at what it actually is, i should like it.

Heh, Funimation tick all the right boxes yet again, and there I was thinking Juuohsei had been forgotten about, I was going to mention that if it wasn't listed, but it's awesome that it is! Lots of love for Funimation again, just a bit annoying their slightly older releases like Trinity Blood, Speed Grapher, Basilisk, Samurai 7 - limited editions all going out of print so damn fast... Personally, I'm kind of hoping these new licenses won't be released as limited editions per volume because I can't afford to buy each series special edition, but I know I will >_< Just need to get my hands on Funi's other releases, oh that includes Negima! as well.
I don't know how Funimation have got their funding for all these high profile licenses, I guess they have a Japanese company pumping money into them.

Lupus Inu said:
Lol @ Jyu Oh Sei being licensed. What a crappy pick up by FUNi.

Not that I've seen it, I know it's a Bones anime, and anything that is produced by Bones is a win for any anime distributor, no matter what the quality of the anime is; if it looks good people will buy it with the Bones label on. I can't really see how it's a crappy pick up by Funimation with that said...

DaNiMe said:
Lupus Inu said:

Not that I've seen it, I know it's a Bones anime, and anything that is produced by Bones is a win for any anime distributor, no matter what the quality of the anime is; if it looks good people will buy it with the Bones label on. I can't really see how it's a crappy pick up by Funimation with that said...
You need to see it then. >_>

Lupus Inu said:
DaNiMe said:
Lupus Inu said:

I heard it has bishounen in it, if that's what you mean.

I guess you could judge how well it's going to do by Kyo Kara Maoh then, that seems to be doing well enough for Geneon to release two hot artbooks with it.

Lupus Inu said:
DaNiMe said:
Lupus Inu said:

Amen. I'm a BONES fanboy (complete with BONES Fanboy hat tm ) but have to say Jyu Oh Sei sucks. Don't know if it's cause it was poorly adapted from the manga or if that sucked as bad as well. Either way doubt they'll make a profit from it.

Yay, Funi picked up Darker than Black. I'm interested to see now about Claymore and Code Geass, both of which have me hooked at the moment.

*ALERT ALERT STUPID DISTRIBUTOR ALERT*

AnimeOnDVD said:
There's been a couple of different places that One Piece discussions came up today and FUNimation has sent out a short form rundown of what to expect from the franchise:

FUNimation has acquired the eighth movie starring the Straw Hat Pirates of One Piece, also known as the Alabaster Movie, and will be releasing season three on DVD -- both will be released in 2008.

This = fail, they could at least release the start of the anime simultaneously.

EDIT: Whoops didn't see that Viz still have the first 2 seasons... That's an incredibly crap thing to happen, I wonder why Funi was giving the idea that they had access to the entire franchise...

hopeful_monster said:
Lupus Inu said:
DaNiMe said:
Lupus Inu said:

Amen. I'm a BONES fanboy (complete with BONES Fanboy hat tm ) but have to say Jyu Oh Sei sucks. Don't know if it's cause it was poorly adapted from the manga or if that sucked as bad as well. Either way doubt they'll make a profit from it.

I really liked Jyu Oh Sei, but yes, it's not that good. Part of the problem is that the series is rushed - they packed a 5 vol manga into 11 episodes, but by all accounts the manga ending sucked anyway. Not a show I expected to be licensed, but like a lot of licenses of this kind it was probably bundled with something else. Interestingly, it looks like Tokyopop have picked up the manga for this, which I'm definitely keen on getting having seen the anime.

The best license of the con so far has to be Gantz though. It drags a bit in later volumes, but it's still a great manga, and given that it's Dark Horse we shouldn't have to worry about edits. if they can release MPD Psycho and Berserk uncut, then they'll release this uncut too. The most intruiging thing about this license though, is that it's a Shueisha manga, licensed by someone other than Viz. There's a lot of good seinen manga released by Viz's two parent companies, that Viz don't want to touch, but until now no one else has been able to get to.

With One Piece, hopefully Funi and Viz will work something out. It wouldn't surprise me if some sort of joint distro deal was arranged for the earlier episodes. Either that or a lot of money is going to change hands.

Anyone know how long before any of these will be available on the shelves? Since all the decent Fansubbers have dropped DTB and Gurren Largen anyone know how long before i can watch the ending?

hopeful_monster said:
Anyone know how long before any of these will be available on the shelves? Since all the decent Fansubbers have dropped DTB and Gurren Largen anyone know how long before i can watch the ending?

Gurren Lagann might be out quickly it might not. ADV regularly release shows quickly after licensing, but not always. Darker than Black will take ages though, all of Funimation's AX anouncements are slated for 2008, and given past form don't necessarily expect them in first quarter.

Paul said:
Updated the list - Right Stuf have picked up both seasons of Victorian Romance Emma. No doubt, that's the biggest niche license of the event so far - and ironically, an anime set in England won't be dubbed (Right Stuf has said the release will be sub-only)!
Though that is a very cheap and lazy thing for Right Stuf to do to it these days, I'm glad as I wouldn't stomach it with American voices here, or even there. :p

Back