Point me in the right direction please!

where's my cow?

School Idol
Hey all! I'm pretty new to Anime and Manga so, having just broken away from mainstream culture, I'm feeling pretty lost and alone at the moment... I know there's a load of good stuff out there, but I reckon (like with everything else) there'd be just as much bad stuff and I'm afraid to dive straight in and have a bad experience early on.

So far, my anime game is weak (to quote Tim Westwood, who I'll keep my REAL opinion of to myself or I'll be banned before I start!!!) I love the classics: Final Fantasy, Dragonball and all things Japanese but I can't help feeling there's so much more!

What was your first experience of Anime? What, if you draw the stuff (like I'm learning to) inspired you to start? Can you give any advice on drawing technique? What would you say would be the best place to start? I'm a pretty open guy, so I won't dismiss anything that others might think of as too confusing.

I'd love to hear from people, and it'd be great to make some friends while I'm here as well. Cheers one and all! :p

Hi Simon. Welcome to the forums!

I'd love to recommend you take a look at a few titles but I'm not sure about your tastes. I'll assume for now that you just like a good yarn? Take a look at buying this bargain boxset: http://www.theworks-art-books-music.com ... xProd=1512

It contains the first four episodes of 10 anime series, many of which are great examples of their genre. You can't go wrong with Gungrave (Mafia action, drama), Haibane Renmei (Artistically beautiful, heart wrenching drama) and Paranoia Agent (Psychological twister).

Welcome to the forums :). I agree with Paul that all newbies to anime should check that boxset out as soon as possible, I too have still to see a few of those aswell ;)

Cool, thanks! :D (And cheers for the link, very usefully! It's been ordered!)

As for my tastes, well I generally prefer action but a gripping plot's always a must. Visuals are welcomed but shouldn't overshadow plot or character development. I also like 'feel good' films (y'know, the ones that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside for hours after watching it). Not a huge fan of horror.

But anyway, thanks again for the shout!

Welcome to the forums

I would also recommend that pack cuz if you like action based anime then I am sure you would like a lot of the titles found in it.

Greetings and welcoem to the forums....yes, that box set is good for newcomers to anime, hope something there takes to your liking....if you need more series to chose from, just ask and i will happiliy try to recommend some

Welcome to the forums!

There isn't much I can say about recommendations that hasn't been said already but here goes. That box set is great for new fans to find out what they like and what to look out for. The reviews section here covers a lot of new stuff and old classics too.

I personally started on anime with seeing a Studio Ghibli film as a kid then watching Evangelion in an all-night viewing marathon while at uni - the Eva series is a long-standing fan fave (as well as a personal fave of mine! ;)) so that might be a good place to start.

The other big names include Spirited Away, Ghost in the Shell (don't forget the new Stand-alone Complex spin-off series that has made a really positive impression already) and the old classic Akira.

If you have Sky tune into Rapture (Channel 288) - it has Full Metal Alchemist and Wolf's Rain on every week - I've heard good things about them both. Hope that helps.

It's great that you all seem to agree on this boxset, I can hardly wait to get it and dive straight into the world of anime! Thank the good dude for student loans!

I was browsing through the forums yesterday and you all seem like a great bunch of guys and gals! Hope that I can be as chummy with some of you guys as you seem, but alas, I am but a newcomer to anime at the mo (needless to say that my screen name'll probably change with time)

I bought the first in the Ragnarok series the other day, haven't really found as much time to give it the full attention it deserves, but it seems pretty cool. Any of you lot read it? (Stupid question probably!)

Keep the recommendations coming! I couldn't have hoped for a better response! :D

Hi to all. just like simon im a newbie to anime even tho im a huge fan of manga. this is the 1st time ive jump in to something feet first and to tell the truth i need help. Where should i start? in your eyes what should i be looking out for? ie books, dvd, game like i said i need help so plz some one help me. also can anyone tell me how do i get a pic on my profile?

Benji said:
Hi to all. just like simon im a newbie to anime even tho im a huge fan of manga. this is the 1st time ive jump in to something feet first and to tell the truth i need help. Where should i start? in your eyes what should i be looking out for? ie books, dvd, game like i said i need help so plz some one help me. also can anyone tell me how do i get a pic on my profile?

First up welcome to the forums Benji :)

About the pic-profile thing you need to click on 'profile' at the top of the screen. Once you have done that, in the new menu head down to the 'avatar control panal'. Click browse to select an image from your computer or use the URL bar to enter an address of an image from another site.

About what anime to watchg first, well if you are already a fan of manga you might want to check out an anime version of a manga you have already read. I would recommend looking out for one of the Boxsets currently available from 'The Works'

http://www.theworks-art-books-music.com ... xProd=1512

or

http://www.theworks-art-books-music.com ... xProd=1455

These both cost £15 and hold a range of titles you might be interested in so they could be the perfect thing to start your collection off with. :)

Hope that helps :)

welcome to the forums and dont worry about being a new coming so much as we all started they at one point and i think the best times i had was when i was new to anime ...... so many new things . :)

Benji said:

The pictures are called avatars. Click on your profile link at the top of the page, scroll down to the avatar section and follow the instructions :)

Cheers for the warm welcome! (hugs each and everyone of you for slightly longer than is comfortable...) I can't wait to become a part of your world, but first I'll have to watch some of it! Lol!

Btw, just read through that Ragnarok manga book (is that the right term to use...?) and I thought it was pretty damn awesome! 8) IT BEGINS!!!

Yo there, if ya like the action side of things try Hunter X Hunter, was the first anime i ever watched all the way through and is still one of my personal fav's, failing that watch Bleach, you cant go wrong with Bleach LOL 8)

Back