Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Whispering Corridors" - 7/10

A Korean horror film. I have the entire quartet of the series in a box set. It was good, the girls in it were BLOODY SEXY(!), and the plot was good too. It is based in an "all-girls" school!! It was not "scarey" but the dead bodies looked really authentic for a 90's film and it was quite a thrilling experience.

The other thing I will say as a result of seeing this is that: I am really anticipating watching the rest of the films.

Atonement - 8/10 - A great story, but all the jumping around between times was a little annoying. I really had no idea what it would be about, foolishly i was expecting an old fashioned romance, i should have know better with a story from Ian McEwan!

When Harry Met Sally - 9/10 - I love this film even though i've watched it a dozen times.

Hide and Seek - 6/10 - Not half as good as the reviews claimed it to be! I didn't expect the twist at the end, but all in all it wasn't really anything different than all the other countless horror movies out there.

Hide and Seek - 7/10

I thought it was pretty good. I watched it when it first came out and haven't watched it since so i really had no idea what was going to happen, there were several moments that sacred me but i think this horror film wasn't the best i've seen.

17 Again - 7/10

Better than I thought it would be, although the abstinence thing felt too Disney, pronbably because of Erfon and High School Musical

Last edited by a moderator:
What! Does this mean I don't get to see a transformed Matthew Perry engaging in high-school antics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Retro: Sorry for not replying until now - I didn't see your post.

Had I read your post earlier, I might've had something semi-interesting to say. I've watched a lot of films between when I watched Amelie and now... I don't remember it clearly.

The film had the same childlike charm as AVLE and it wasn't a bad film but I didn't enjoy it as much as AVLE. It was funny at the start - when someone went suicidal and jumped on Amelie's mother - but I didn't laugh, cry or really feel much of anything after that. I remember thinking that I could understand why it's rated so highly because the story of a girl not facing her own problems and instead putting her attention on other things probably hit home with a nmber of people, but it just didn't click with me.

Let The Right One In - 7/10

The film was a bit of a disappointment. I saw it had a 8.2/10 rating, the story sounded intersting enough and I downloaded it with some expectations. What I ended up seeing was an uneventful film with poor acting. The lead (a twelve year old boy) was wooden throughout, which left me not feeling much for the story overall when it was told from his perspective.

Sod all really happened. Some people got killed and, during the killing, a twleve year old boy and a vampire "girl" talked a lot. I ended the film happy to see a vampire film that wasn't a silly Hollywood action flick but not thrilled by what I'd seen. It was boring in all honesty.

Having looked at a few forum posts, it seems the story goes deeper than it first appeared, but that's because information in the book the film was based on didn't get included. Was I supposed to guess that a certain character had had 'the chop' by viewing a shot of the persons pubic region for a second (all I saw was pubic hair)? And was I also supposed to guess at the nature of Eli's relationship withthe man staying with her based on near to nothing?

Edit: Here are a few other ratings...

Death Note: The Last Name - 8/10 (rewatched)
Better than the 5-6/10 first. Where as the first film needlessly changed and added stuff, ruining a lot of the excellent content in the original story, the sequel did the reverse and fixed a number of things. There were still plot issues (the Sakura TV sequence was horrible) and poor acting, but it was much better than the first.

Sweeney Todd - 8.5/10 (rewatched)
I don't like musicals. I liked Sweeney Todd.

Turning a plain fictional serial killer into a wronged man in the image of The Count of Monte Cristo made for an excellent story. As ever, Depp was amazing when playing an over the top character, the supporting cast were all great and even the songs were good. Top film.

PotC - 8/10 (rewatched)
Good fun. Depp carried the film for the most part with his performance as Jack Sparrow.

PotC: Dead Man's Chest - 7.5/10 (rewatched)
Less entertaining but still highly enjoyable. Once again, Depp made up for the inadequacies of Bloom and Knightley, who are both unable to act. I can understand Knightley getting roles because she's good eye candy but I have no idea how a wimpy looking guy like Bloom gets big roles.

PotC: At World's End - 6/10 (rewatched)
Watching this made me think that the creative talents behind the first two had run out of ideas when they had to put together a plot for the third. None of the dialogue was funny, and even Depp struggled to carry the film on his own. I stopped watching and went to sleep around 30 minutes before the end last night.

City of God - 8/10
A little on the overrated side. It's a good look into how life in Brazil was (dog eat dog; criminals kill each other in and endless cycle) but I never got truly involved in it. Why? Because the main character wasn't important; he was an outsider looking in and did very little. Rather than it being a very entertaining film, it was somewhere between film and documentary.

Hotel Rwanda - 8.5/10
Like the both, it's based on a true story. Unlike the above, I was able to become more involved because the main character was important to the story.

I'll need to pick this up on DVD.

Aion said:
Let The Right One In - 7/10

The film was a bit of a disappointment. I saw it had a 8.2/10 rating, the story sounded intersting enough and I downloaded it with some expectations. What I ended up seeing was an uneventful film with poor acting. The lead (a twelve year old boy) was wooden throughout, which left me not feeling much for the story overall when it was told from his perspective.

Sod all really happened. Some people got killed and, during the killing, a twleve year old boy and a vampire "girl" talked a lot. I ended the film happy to see a vampire film that wasn't a silly Hollywood action flick but not thrilled by what I'd seen. It was boring in all honesty.

Having looked at a few forum posts, it seems the story goes deeper than it first appeared, but that's because information in the book the film was based on didn't get included. Was I supposed to guess that a certain character had had 'the chop' by viewing a shot of the persons pubic region for a second (all I saw was pubic hair)? And was I also supposed to guess at the nature of Eli's relationship withthe man staying with her based on near to nothing?

I've seen this one lat Friday and I had the same feelings as you. I're read reviews about how the actress who played Eli was surpassing Kirsten Dunst in interview with a vampire and I was really looking forward to it.

In the end, I hated the main, I didn't get all the other relationships on the movie, except for Eli and Oskar. What is that guy who visits Oskar father? Why did conversation died when he showed up? What's the relationship between Eli and that "father" guy?

Too many questions in a movie is ok, but the way they did, everything felt like it was just cramped with bits and pieces of the book and anyone who didn't read it, was simply disregarded.

In preparation for tomorrow, on Sunday and Monday I was using Sci-Fi's Star Trek day to its fullest (well, kinda) and watched a few episodes of TOS and got around to watching:

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan. 8/10.

Fantastic bloody movie, Acting was great, direction was great, Some points of the story were lost on me, but I take blame for that. I enjoyed it.

Also, For Film Studies I've watched a few movies over the last 8 or so months but I always forgot to put them down, so I'll just quickly do that.

The Conversation, 8/10
Enemy of the State, 7/10
A Hard Day's Night, 6/10 (I'd give the soundtrack a 10)
A Clockwork Orange, 10/10 (Re-watched)
From Russia With Love, 5/10 - Some hilarious moments in it, though!

X-men Origins: Wolverine 4/10 - Seriously felt lacking. CGi was horrendous, you could easily tell when a scene was using CGi, the action scenes where fairly cheesy as was some of the bits which where meant to be emotional for the characters. It was really a let down.

I was going to type something up yesterday, but I was tired...

Star Trek, 10/10.

Seriously, JJ Abrams is an amazing director, everything was paced to perfection. Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman script felt right. The CGI is the best I've ever seen, ever. Michael Giacchino's score, although felt a bit Lost/Fringe-y sometimes, was fabulous. The casting couldn't have been better, either. Pegg's accent nailed it and Zachary Quinto was superb as Spock, also.

FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC.

I hope there isn't a long wait till the sequel.

Star Trek 8/10. A good film and the copious amount of fan service did not manage to drag it down. Got the characters together in a believable way not too contrived manner. I can't wait to see where they are going to go with it for the next film.

The Machinist - 9/10

Incredibly clever, very atmospheric and beautifully stylistic. Christian Bale's performance is excellent, too!

Checked out Star Trek last night. Seriously impressed with it considering I have never seen a single episode of the TV shows.

Simon Pegg steals every scene he's in. Quinto is an amazing Spock and despite an incredibly lame bad guy the whole thing came together in a great package.

Definitely a blu-ray purchase come release.

9/10.

Coraline - 8/10

Really enjoyable. Saw it in 3D which was interesting. Only bad thing was having to wear those heeeuuuuge fuckin' glasses. They dont get on with the side of my head.

Ah well- i'll stick to good ol 2D for a while xD

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn - 10/10

one of my fave films (if not the fave film) of all time, epicly brilliant, perfect preperation to go see the new film tommorow!

Star Trek 7/10
Been a trekkie all my life ,have all the series and movies on dvd (even the bad ones( Voyager & Enterprise)I praise the director for trying to reboot the franchise and to a great degree he succeded.But without giving to much of the plot away to people who have yet to see it ,the film remined ne to much of the last star trek film Nemesis ie. crazy romulan with powerful ship bent on destroying everything.
As for the cast the new kirk and spock are very good ,but for me Karl Urban as MCcoy stole the show ,I just which he had more screen time .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back