Rate the last movie you watched out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Futurama 3 : Bender's Game, 5/10.
Futurama 4: The Wild Green Yonder, 6/10

The forth is slightly better, but its still so disjointed and cartoony. I was watching The Flintstones earlier and realised how natural some of conversations in that feel, as opposed to these Futurama movies where every line is meant to be a joke. It feels like Family Guy, but its not. I'm not that sure, but I think they retconed some pretty enjoyable developments from the series, as well. As of right now, the order of quality goes: first, forth, third and second.

The Good, the Bad, the Weird - 6/10
It was strange, there were lots of gunfights, but the guns sounded dreadful. Like peashooters. There was some really funny parts, like one of the guys using a divers helmet to peek a look at the guys chasing him. It was really fun to watch.

Tokyo Sonata - 8.5/10

Pretty bleak but ultimately hopeful. Really a story about people losing their meanings for existance (a man his job and his wife the connection with her family) and what it does to them. The message seemed to be that it's the people important to you that matter, that's what you should be living for and not appearances, wealth or authority. That said it doesn't really address the larger problem present throughout the film which is: what will the next generation in developed countries do for a living (if they aren't soldiers or concert pianists)?

G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra, 5/10.

Explosions, funny sentence, explosion. I enjoyed it a lot more than Transformers 2. It knew it was stupid, plus, whoever directed this is a lot better at action than the supposed God of Action, Michael Bay. Fun cinema fun. (edit: Team America: World Police is essential viewing for this film.) Might have preferred seeing BandSlam, though.

Also, watching John Hughes stuff - The Breakfast Club (9/10) I rewatched, and its still as great on a repeat viewing as it was the first time I saw it earlier this year. Sixteen Candles (7/10) wasn't brilliant, but it was decent fun and basically was what I expected and lastly Ferris Bueller's Day Off (9/10) which was so much fun to watch. Matthew Broderick is amazingly hilarious. Such a great movie.

I will miss that man.

iisan said:
The Seven Samurai 9/10
Man, that was a long film.
Man, that was a great film.
If you haven't seen Yojimbo then check out that one next.

The Good Die Young - 8/10

Caught this on TV recently and was pleasantly surprised. It's about four otherwise lawful men driven to commit a crime. Laurence Harvey is easily the star of this and plays a perfect combination of suave and sinister, especially towards the climax of the film. An excellently crafted British thriller from the 50's, if you're interested in that sort of thing then look it up.

District 9, 9/10.

Saw it yesterday and it was pretty riveting stuff. The CGI reminded me of Zoic Studios (Serenity, BSG) a bit, and funnily enough they were involved. I found all the news broadcasts a bit uninvolving at first, but around 15 minutes in to and more towards the transformation, I really found myself loving it. Some interesting themes, and the apartheid was handled well. The opening sequence was really cool. I didn't originally think I'd be open for a sequel, but if the same teams involved, I bet some decent issues could be played out.

Far better than a lot of the trash I've sat through this year, but doesn't beat Star Trek (even if that's like comparing apples and oranges.)

Last edited by a moderator:
District 9 - 8/10. Really, really liked it. Story was different to what I was expecting, just as Asdrubael found. The ending was satisfying but felt truncated and the documentary style stuff at the start and ending of the movie seemed unnecessary.

The Haunting in Connecticut - 7/10. Enjoyable horror, compelling central characters, interesting images and a silly, not exactly clever twist at the end. I recompensed it! :]

Shutter: 7.5-8/10

When I watched it, I thought it was a very good movie. The acting was convincing and, though the story was very simple, it was powerful enough to keep me interested. It only scared me (sort of) a few times, but it's really the sort thing that would only really be scary in the cinema, with deafening sound. Kind of like Cloverfield.

But what made me certain it was a good horror film was later, when I was trying to sleep. For some reason, it entered my mind and it took me like an hour to get to sleep. I kept imagining a dead person crawling up my bed and grabbing me. When you sit and think about it, it'd be pretty ******* scary; to be haunted by a vengeful spirit whom wanted you dead.

District 9 - (8/10) Great movie! Loved it! The story wasn't too complicated which ment we got to see more interaction between the characters. I loved it's almost B-movie style in places but most of all I loved how the movie was set out. Aren't humans naughty. ;]

Outlander - (5/10) Not impressed... film felt thrown together and acting was wooden. I only give it 5 fo the monster.

The Matrix Revolutions: 7/10. I enjoyed it, but it is pretty passable. The sequels to the original Matrix really don't come close to matching the originals' greatness.

Aion said:
Shutter: 7.5-8/10

I'm always on the look out for good horror movies (and critics, for whatever reason, never, ever like horror films of any kind), so thanks for brining this to my attention :]

District 9 was a 9/10. A very enjoyable movie but not such enjoyable circumstances. I had the biggest argument with my partner after the film. She kept thumping me throughout and was near to tears several times. It was meant to be a kind-of date but I got blamed for picking the movie afterwards and I vowed to never pick a movie to watch again. Haha, jeez, Pay back, for having to watch Ice age 3 & G-force. Back onto the movie though, it was good, quite depressing at times and very gritty. I can't wait for a sequel. I haven't really liked a movie like that in a while.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (movie) - 8/10. I love all things Star Wars and this really delivered. It was obviously much more child-centric than the trilogies but I still liked it a lot. The action was awesome, the animation was great, cool music, interesting new characters and I actually liked the droid army as comedy relief. I really need to watch the TV series :]

The Sentinel (2006) 7/10
I remember going to the cinema to see this after hearing statments like, "it's 24 the movie!" Not true by the way. It is an entertaining film by all accounts, if not a little obvious in places. Stories not too complicated making it an easy watch too. It's sounds like i'm putting it down but I watched the film twice so that counts for something. So if you fancy a President at threat thriller, give The Sentinal a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back