Recomendations

Unit-00

Completely Average High School Student
Hi all!

So until recently I'd been out of the anime scene for a long while. I used to watch the classic Manga films, the original Fullmetal Alchemist, loved Evangelion, etc, etc but around the mid 2000s I fell out of it.

Now I have a lot of catching up to do so I'm looking for good recommendations for must-watch series'. I like good, semi-realistic animation with clean lines, think NGE or even SAO (apparently I have to be embarrassed for liking this ;)). I dislike anything too 'scratchy' or disproportionate like Fairy Tale or Dragonball Z. I thought Rin was nicely animated although a little erotic for my tastes!

I Recently finished and really enjoyed Death Note, I thought the story was really gripping. I dislike anything that's centered around too much combat. Fight after fight after fight gets old fast *yawn*. Nothing wrong with the occasional awesome battle though, NGE style. Ultimately I like something that elicits an emotional connection. I don't mind love stories although, like combat, you can have too much of a good thing.

I had thought about working my way through what Netflix currently has to offer, I've heard Steins;Gate and Kill la Kill mentioned favorably so thought I might start there. Open to all suggestions though! Thanks :)

EDIT: I will add that I'm a heathen, I usually watch anime dubbed rather than with subs. If the dub is particularly bad though I will switch to subs.

1. Higurashi/ when they cry
2. Monster
3. Garden of sinners
4. FMA 2003
5. Death note
6. gurren lagann
7. Fate/zero
8. Baccono
9. The counte of monte cristo
10. Clannad/konan.......there both just as good.
11. trigun
12. Elfen lied.........a yes and no sorta thing but well worth the watch.
13. Moribito
14. Ghost in the shell.....movie then series.
15. Romeo x Juliet.........I think it's good.
16. From the new world
17. Tiger and bunny
18. Cowboy bepop
19. H.O.T.D.......I like the zombie feel.
20. Dragon ball z
21. All of the gibli films
22. Giant robo.......I like the story and its a diamond is the rough.
23. Fruits basket
24. Bubble gum crash/crisis
25. Eva
26. Dance in the vampire bund............I like the whole reaction how humans would reacted to vampires

I think some of the recent big/popular ones would probably be:

Eden of the East, Stein's Gate, Code Geass, Psycho-Pass, Baccano!, Attack on Titan & Puella magi Madoka Magica.

Slightly older I'd definitely recommend the Ghost in the Shell SAC series (2 in total).

I've not listed any long runners, incomplete or hard to get hold of.

Netflix has a decent selection to check out & no need to be embarassed about sword art online, I enjoyed it too & that's all that matters.

serpantino said:

Eden of the East, Stein's Gate, Code Geass, Psycho-Pass, Baccano!, Attack on Titan & Puella magi Madoka Magica.

Slightly older I'd definitely recommend the Ghost in the Shell SAC series (2 in total).

Netflix has a decent selection to check out & no need to be embarassed about sword art online, I enjoyed it too & that's all that matters.

Code gaess?

Dude were trying to get him in to the good stuff not crap

animefreak17 said:
serpantino said:

Code gaess?

I hate you now XD

animefreak17 said:
serpantino said:

Code gaess?

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there is no need for comments like that and we most certainly don't need another rant from you involving Code Geass.

animefreak17 said:
serpantino said:

Code gaess?

Opinion of one person =/= Fact.

Code Geass is a good show to start off with and I second serpantino with the list he has mentioned.

While I'm here I might as well add some of my recommendations though these are fairly popular/semi-cult, each of these have been dubbed:

Berserk (TV and/or Golden Age Film Trilogy) - Often described as the Japanese version of Game of Thrones, Berserk is an old-time classic and has a great epic story. The film version is fairly good but it does miss out a lot in the first two thirds of the arc. (Genre: Action/Supernatural)
Black Lagoon - Although there are a lot of fights, the story is very good and each arc is notable. Not to mention it's got one of the best English dubs out there. (Genre: Quentin Tarantino)
Noein - Rather complicated plot with a very good English dub. The story is surprising good despite the animation being somewhat different. (Genre:
Shigurui: Death Frenzy - Very mature theme set in a samurai edo period. Quite intrigued by it's story and character development. (Genre: Drama
Shiki - The story gets really intriguing as each episode moves along. Probably the best blind buy purchase I've ever made. (Genre: Mystery/Thriller/Supernatural Horror)
The Devil is a Part-Timer! [Hataraku Maou-sama!] - Satan escapes to the human world and ends up working at McRonalds. Fun comedy and great story. (Genre: Comedy/Fantasy)

And while these few don't have an English dub, they are also note worthy of a recommendation:

Bakemonogatari, Haikyuu!! & Kuroko's Basketball, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) & JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders & Parasyte -the maxim-

animefreak17 said:
Code gaess?

To each their own. I was just referencing a selection of popular recent animes. If you didn't personally like it fair enough but it seemed to be very popular amongst others.

I found it enjoyable but the filler episodes felt out of place and bugged me. It was good enough to keep nonetheless.

Personally I thought attack on titan was rubbish, though the idea was good. I still included it though because it's been a very popular one.

black1blade.......it has a lot of plot holes and Lelouchs plans dont make any sense and so much is unexplained and Lelouch is an idiot.

GolGotha.....Your right you won't hear a rant from me.

NormanicGrav......I disagree.....not that my hatred for Lelouch is saying this but code gaess has its problems of plot holes and lelouchs ideas make no sense......good choice of anime tho.

serpantino.....iv had arguments with loads of people with this series and iv proved all of them wrong about code gaess.....

It's just a rip off of

Death note
Gundam
And everything else that's popular

To me it's just a death note rip off and there is nothing to like about Lelouch.......to me his nothing but a

Mommies boy
With a loli sister complex
With daddy issues
And that is all there is too him and after all his done .....well you know my answer.

I haven't seen attack on titan yet but it's in my backlog

So much for not having another rant, eh?

I dislike a lot of popular anime series, but if I see someone suggesting one to someone else I don't go and tell them that what they like is ****, I simply suggest things that I think they would like instead and let the person who is asking for the suggestions decide for themselves what they like.

@animefreak17

It sounds to me like you're trying too hard to go against popular perception. If you don't like it or didn't get it that's fine. Some of what you've posted as recommendations I really didn't like but I'm not going to go on a 1 man crusade against them everytime someone brings them up.

Unit-00 has asked for recommendations. I gave a few recent popular ones to help out. I am sure he has the capacity to decide what he likes for himself.

Please don't keep needlessly derailing or trolling the thread because people don't share your opinion. People shouldn't have to justify why they enjoy an anime, they simply do. Picking it apart is pointless, you won't change their opinion & a waste of time.

Throwing Ergo Proxy out there, since nobody has mentioned it yet.

Semi-realistic, well animated, really likable characters, occasional action scenes, dub and sub are both great. It does have a bit of a tendency to get pretentious at times, but I can forgive it, considering how good the rest of it is.

Off the top of my head, I'd say all of these are must-sees:

Code Geass
Garden of Sinners
Genshiken
Madoka Magica
Haruhi Suzumiya
Bakemonogatari
Rozen Maiden
Full Metal Panic
Escaflowne
Clannad

GolGotha...that wasn't a rant I was just throwing my opinion out there.

serpantino......I just don't like code gaess not because it's popular ....I'm not like that.....If somethings popular and I watch it and thinks it's good then its good. If something else is popular and I watch it and didn't like it then I didn't like it....I always give everything a chance ....but cod gaess has so much wrong with it it's unbelievable...

I mean come on his last plan made no sense at all and he was wrong about so many things and did loads of horrible things.

We've asked you to stop de-railing the thread several times now. If you insist on ranting about how much Code Geass annoys you, then please do so in YOUR OWN PERSONAL THREAD!

GolGotha said:
We've asked you to stop de-railing the thread several times now. If you insist on ranting about how much Code Geass annoys you, then please do so in YOUR OWN PERSONAL THREAD!

Just answering your reply that's all

Unit-00 said:
I've heard Steins;Gate and Kill la Kill mentioned favorably so thought I might start there.

If you're not keen on rough-hewn artwork or shows that are combat-centric, Kill la Kill may not be for you. It's very much a throwback to the old-school fighting series of the '70s and '80s. Steins;Gate could be a good shout though.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it.

I feel like I need to watch Code Geass now, just to weigh in on the argument!

So much to watch, it's a great place to be in many respects, so many worlds await. There are several that stand out to me from what's been suggested so far, I just need my other half to go out more so I can watch them!

I was in a similar boat. I started collecting & trying to catch up about a year ago. I mainly collected and watched in the early 2000s (good old SciFi channel).

It's overwhelming at first trying to catch up on all the good stuff you think you've missed.

Code Geass does seem to divide opinion, but in my eyes it's definitely a masterpiece, and arguably one of the best mecha shows out there - though to be honest it's not really a mecha show in the strictest sense. It just does the whole 'who are the good guys and who are the bad guys, really?' thing so well, and the character designs - courtesy of CLAMP - are excellent.

Back