Recomendations

even without Being a huge Mecha fan I agree code geass is awesome,but a couple of other shows I would recommend are Darker than Black(season 1) and Hellsing Ultimate.

I don't think code gaess should be so highly praised then it should be because of its plot holes...yeah code gaess has plot holes and the things Lelouch does is completely stupid likeleaving the battle field that he started with the sacrifice of euphy to go get his sister nunnaly while they was losing.

Also Lelouch was selfish and only thought about nunnaly and his needs first and just used everyone to find out what happened to his mother and get revenge on his father.......not to mention he has been wrong about alot of stuff too.

I insist you watch monster.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's loads of good shows I could recommend off the top of my head.
Eden of the East, Darker than Black (S1 but not S2), Code Geass, Angel Beats, Baccano, Durarara and Tiger & Bunny are all shows which I felt had great likable casts, a good story and aren't combat centered. The first three titles are actually some of the first I saw when I got into anime, and I've had success getting non-anime fans to watch Eden of the East especially.
If you don't mind shows with a lot of talking then Fate/Zero, The Monogatari series and Garden of Sinners are also shows I would recommend you at least try - even if you ultimately decide you don't like them.

@AF - A lot of popular series have plot holes - who cares? You don't say it's **** and pick it to bits. You enjoy the show for what it is.

Mangaranga said:
There's loads of good shows I could recommend of the top of my head.
Eden of the East, Darker than Black (S1 but not S2), Code Geass, Angel Beats, Baccano, Durarara and Tiger & Bunny are all shows which I felt had great likable casts, a good story and aren't combat centered. The first three titles are actually some of the first I saw when I got into anime, and I've had success getting non-anime fans to watch Eden of the East especially.
If you don't mind shows with a lot of talking then Fate/Zero, The Monogatari series and Garden of Sinners are also shows I would recommend you at least try - even if you ultimately decide you don't like them.

@AF - A lot of popular series have plot holes - who cares? You don't say it's **** and pick it to bits. You enjoy the show for what it is.

You do have a point...It's like from the new world ........that has a big plot hole but I still enjoy it. So I get it and I apologize.

I've been in two frames of mind recently about purchasing From The New World as I honestly can't make up my mind or tell if I will enjoy it or not...Maybe I should just go for it :)

@AF - A lot of popular series have plot holes - who cares? You don't say it's **** and pick it to bits. You enjoy the show for what it is.[/quote]

I agree with with you on this.For example Valvrave the Liberator. Is a show I know is batshit insane with questionable writing and and an ending which raises more questions than it gives.yet I really enjoy it despite its flaws(not to mention the op gets you pumped)everyone has different tastes,but the only way you'll know if you like a show is to watch it and see for yourself.

KimmyKins83 said:
I've been in two frames of mind recently about purchasing From The New World as I honestly can't make up my mind or tell if I will enjoy it or not...Maybe I should just go for it :)
I love the show personally its a great series that keeps you guessing to the end.but if your on the fence I recommend checking it out on crunchyroll first.

Type45 said:
KimmyKins83 said:
I love the show personally its a great series that keeps you guessing to the end.but if your on the fence I recommend checking it out on crunchyroll first.

CR is where I knew about it first-hand anyway which is cool :) Thanks! :D

Type45 said:
I agree with with you on this.For example Valvrave the Liberator. Is a show I know is batshit insane with questionable writing and and an ending which raises more questions than it gives.yet I really enjoy it despite its flaws(not to mention the op gets you pumped)everyone has different tastes,but the only way you'll know if you like a show is to watch it and see for yourself.
Haha! I totally agree with you on that one. I've only seen the half of Valvrave so far, and whilst it initially seemed pretty promising, it quickly turned into a train wreck.
It's a bit like Guilty Crown - it's a so bad it's good popcorn anime which you watch for the ride.

I think I actually like the insane train wreck shows more than the sensible ones a lot of the time. I'm really loving Aldnoah.Zero this season even though it's been nuts for a while. This stuff is meant to be entertaining anyway or we'd all be on Documentaries UK News instead :D

R

I like 'train wrecks' like Valvrave, Aldnoah.Zero and Code Geass because they're so unpredictable. Far better than the shows where the hero saves the day, just in the nick of time :p

KimmyKins83 said:

It's definitely worth watching - the first half is a lot stronger than the second though. It's one of the most chilling, thought provoking shows I've ever seen though, and deals with its characters in an extremely mature way. Plus, there's quite a bit of yuri action in there, if you're a fan of that sort of thing.

Valvrave was definitely more of a trainwreck than Aldnoah Zero - but I love how big, dumb and flashy it is. The OP theme is bonkers, and they've got a Dyson Sphere as a setting - so it's certainly not afraid of tackling big science fiction ideas. But then there's that really, deeply unsettling rape scene that pretty much ruins the series because it's so icky and so out of the blue.

Lutga said:
Valvrave was definitely more of a trainwreck than Aldnoah Zero - but I love how big, dumb and flashy it is. The OP theme is bonkers, and they've got a Dyson Sphere as a setting - so it's certainly not afraid of tackling big science fiction ideas. But then there's that really, deeply unsettling rape scene that pretty much ruins the series because it's so icky and so out of the blue.

But to be fair, that is how you should feel towards a rape scene though, as it is an unsettling matter. I hate watching scenes where animals are hurt and the scene in The Butterfly Effect made me feel so awful, that I never watched it again.

GolGotha said:
Lutga said:

But to be fair, that is how you should feel towards a rape scene though, as it is an unsettling matter. I hate watching scenes where animals are hurt and the scene in The Butterfly Effect made me feel so awful, that I never watched it again.

True - yeah, actually animals getting hurt (particularly cats, as I have one myself) is one of my few no-gos in anime - it'll pretty much be an instant turn-off for me if something like that happens, ie. Fruits of Grisaia and Deadman Wonderland which are both pretty disgusting in terms of what they do to cats in certain episodes.

Oh my goodness, don't remind of that terrible cat being killed and run over by a car scene in The Fruit Of Grisaia, it made me cry so much when I saw it :(

I really don't like the scene in Elfen Lied when that boy is beating that dog to a pulp either, you don't actually see it happening as such, but you see the boy hammering down onto it getting spattered with blood and the yelps and cries from the dog in the process...Truly horrifying :(

But aside from that one particular scene, the series is otherwise really good :)

KimmyKins83 said:
I really don't like the scene in Elfen Lied when that boy is beating that dog to a pulp either, you don't actually see it happening as such, but you see the boy hammering down onto it getting spattered with blood and the yelps and cries from the dog in the process...Truly horrifying :(

That's human nature for you.

Lutga said:
True - yeah, actually animals getting hurt (particularly cats, as I have one myself) is one of my few no-gos in anime - it'll pretty much be an instant turn-off for me if something like that happens

Well then you're not going to like JoJo then. That show has a heck ton of dogs getting ripped to pieces.

Out of curiosity is it possible for the BBFC to cut anime for animal cruelty?

Back