Shogakukan, Shueisha Buy 2 European Anime Distributors

I understand what Andrew and Noratov are saying, and I don't think we'd necessarily be better off if any of our companies were bought up by a Japanese entity. However, I don't think it's really fair to blame the majority of UK consumers for being cheapskates either (though they undoubtedly are).

Like America, we've gotten so used to things being cheap because of globalisation. This never happened to quite the same extent in mainland Europe where they kept a lot of their industry instead of outsourcing it all - like most of the UK's economic problems this can ultimately be blamed on Thatcher. Hell, I run a discount new bookshop and I hear people on a fairly regular basis (either to my face or whispering to each other when they think I can't hear) saying they think three pounds is too much for a brand new paperback. And some of these people are the same ones who buy new Range Rovers on credit and then complain about taxes. It's like the British public's concept of what things are worth is totally screwed.

As a UK anime fan I do not feel 'third world'. We have a good selection; far more than we did nine years ago when I first got into anime & was faced with the choice of either R1 or nothing. Admittedly old habits die hard & I rarely buy R2 anime, but I do find that the price of anime in the UK is too high, based upon what I see in HMV, & sometimes Play & Amazon.co.uk, though I have not often looked at R2 anime online.

The quality of the R2 releases compared to their R1 counterparts has also greatly improved. Whereas previously our releases would be of lower quality in design & content, now I would judge them to be equal, though as a personal preference I like my anime to stay in NTSC rather than converting to PAL & reducing the framerate to compensate.

With all due respect Andrew, the UK fans, myself included, have been burned so many times with singles of series, not being completed, that is it any wonder that we don't buy very much unless it's completely made available in boxsets, or the singles are all released in completion? Do the French have that problem too? Also we can't buy what is not released to us in R2. City Hunter is only available in R1 at both Amazon.co.uk and Play.com. so that little example is a bit moot don't you think? Shame really cause it looks like something I would enjoy watching. Should I import it then?

ayase said:
Like America, we've gotten so used to things being cheap because of globalisation. This never happened to quite the same extent in mainland Europe where they kept a lot of their industry instead of outsourcing it all - like most of the UK's economic problems this can ultimately be blamed on Thatcher. Hell, I run a discount new bookshop and I hear people on a fairly regular basis (either to my face or whispering to each other when they think I can't hear) saying they think three pounds is too much for a brand new paperback. And some of these people are the same ones who buy new Range Rovers on credit and then complain about taxes. It's like the British public's concept of what things are worth is totally screwed.
I'm not sure this is exactly the same thing here. For one thing, their market is bigger. They don't have the "cartoon are for kids" stigma the way we have in the UK.

Adults will most always have more money than kids / teenageers. The more adult fans you have, the more people with money you have to buy whatever you release.

Anime and Manga can be a niche, but i never had to explain what is manga or anime for any of the french persons I've met. Even though they were not anime / manga fans themselves. In here I'm constantly explaining to people what is this hobby of mine.

I think there are plenty of fans in the UK, it's just that for the most part they'll all download because they have this massive entitlement complex brought about by years of cheap consumer items. I'd be willing to bet there are 3000 UK City Hunter fans, the difference between them and the French fans is that they wouldn't buy it for €350. The Yanks wouldn't either, but then it's more viable to sell something cheaper there than it is here because of the larger population.

So basically, the vast majority of UK anime fans are only interested in cheap anime releases which make the companies that release them very little money. No wonder we aren't treated as well.

City Hunter? Never heard of it to be honest. Marketing could help that ya know, if it were to be released.

Anyways, as i've said elsewhere, the only part of the UK Market i'm happy with (as that is where this discussion seems to be heading) is the Manga Ent. releases, and even then I buy those online most of the time. But at the value of Manga Ent. releases, I am far more likely to chance something.

The only City Hunter fan I know 'Away From Keyboard' downloads to own without second thoughts. I've heard that France has a long history of comics and animation, and thus warmed to anime far more than we did as a result.
(In fact, I first learnt of the existence of ecchi whilst in the medieval quarter of a small French town. There were some eye-opening items in that little comic store...)

Mohawk52 said:
With all due respect Andrew, the UK fans, myself included, have been burned so many times with singles of series, not being completed, that is it any wonder that we don't buy very much unless it's completely made available in boxsets, or the singles are all released in completion? Do the French have that problem too? Also we can't buy what is not released to us in R2. City Hunter is only available in R1 at both Amazon.co.uk and Play.com. so that little example is a bit moot don't you think? Shame really cause it looks like something I would enjoy watching. Should I import it then?

Argh! The system ate my reply by mistake (I timed out as I had to go AFK).

In shorter version:

Sorry, my post before was misleading so I see why there was confusion over what I said. The example of City Hunter was very relevant as it underlines the dramatic extent to which fans will buy there. This is due to the sheer volume of fans in FR and DE - which we don't have for a long list of vicious-cycle/Catch-22 reasons really both culturally and otherwise. Nobodies fault but it doesn't change the way things are sadly.

If you want more contextual examples:

- Wolf's Rain sold 4 x more in FR for the LE than it did in the UK.

- Evangelion as a show in the UK has a very hardcore following from many, aired on TV and it has the most similar release pattern to City Hunter in terms of re-releases. The best it could do in 1 year of release of the tin for a fraction of the price was 1169 units, one City Hunter season priced similarly alone did approximately 4000 in a year.

France has had many hiccups as well with releases and has done cheap boxsets for a lot longer than the UK and done so successfully due to the number of buyers in France (though like everywhere the recession is having an effect on that). They've had labels go under before leaving series part way through and they're in a *worse* position as they can't just import it if that happens*!

So all in all when you take the above into account vs the sheer volume of titles coming to the UK now, the UK is treated very well by licensors really and the future is bright on that front I am glad to say :).

Sorry my previous reply was longer but as it was eaten this is the cliff-notes version ^^;. Hope this clarifies what I was saying, I should have added more UK-centric references too.

*if they want it in French anyway.

PS I'd heartily recommend checking City Hunter out :), if you speak French the re-released thinpacks are a good start in France - if not the R1 sets aren't bad but I don't think much of it was released there sadly...

Thank you Andrew. That was a bit more understandable, and has answered some of my questions. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't their market older and more established than ours? Isn't our market only what? ten years old at best, and most of those years were extremely sparce for titles? I am old enough to remember seeing the few VHS anime titles from the early Manga UK days, and a few dodgy ones from Kiseki ( remember them?) in video rental shops back in '98, but you could count them all on one hand. In short our market is still young and growing. Yes we are getting more than those days, but when I see the releases that come out of the US, and how many we get, in the same year, it's then I feel like Oliver holding up my bowl begging, "Please sir, can I have some more?". BTW if you think City Hunter is that great, why have you held it from us? Do you think that HQ in the US might be a bit mift by you suggesting I import it from there? It's no good you thinking "it's done well in France and Germany, but wouldn't do well here." You just don't know until you try it. And you wonder and lament why most of us download, when you are in a position to do something about it? Sorry Andrew. I'd better stop. I can feel my blood pressure rising again., and I don't want to say something I'll regret later. It's your business after all. I'm just a customer, or could be.

The only way I can see UK anime industry growing much faster than it steady current progress is it needs mainstream TV coverage. Something along the lines of a ONE PIECE/ Dragon ball on bbc three (Heck I would accept bbc4) once a week at reasonable time of 7/8 pm. Maybe some kind of 10pm slot to show off more adult related/highly rated shows like Ghost in the Shell TV, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, etc.

I wouldn't mind people argue against this king arrangement if the quality of the shows in these placement weren't so frankly poor: Freaky Eaters, Bizarre ER or Endless repeats of Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps they always seem to be doing.

Dave said:
The only way I can see UK anime industry growing much faster than it steady current progress is it needs mainstream TV coverage. Something along the lines of a ONE PIECE/ Dragon ball on bbc three (Heck I would accept bbc4) once a week at reasonable time of 7/8 pm. Maybe some kind of 10pm slot to show off more adult related/highly rated shows like Ghost in the Shell TV, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, etc.

I wouldn't mind people argue against this king arrangement if the quality of the shows in these placement weren't so frankly poor: Freaky Eaters, Bizarre ER or Endless repeats of Two pints of lager and a packet of crisps they always seem to be doing.

Forget mainstream coverage any is fine
I'd be happy with 2 am on sci fi if it got new episodes

I agree with Dave on the topic of anime needs to be shown on TV regularly to be accepted more as mainstream.

Probably a poor comparison, but the sport of Mixed Martial Arts, headed by the UFC, was very niche a few years ago. But since the airing of The Ultimate Fighter on a mainstream channel, the sport has exploded worldwide.

If you can find that one show that can be shown on a mainstream channel (and i'd go for a new show, e.g. Death Note instead of a 'classic' that every anime fan will have seen), it's possible to get the genre popularised.

Mohawk52 said:
Thank you Andrew. That was a bit more understandable, and has answered some of my questions. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't their market older and more established than ours? Isn't our market only what? ten years old at best, and most of those years were extremely sparce for titles?

Close, but this is actually the 20th anniversary of manga and anime hitting UK shores though :). Nonetheless you are spot on the French market has had Anime as a good part of its TV programming - about 12 years more exposure than the UK. That was with Goldorak (or Go Nagai's Grendizer to us), Nicky Larson (aka City Hunter) the other big TV anime influence came to the next generation circa when Akira hit UK shores originally too.

Mohawk52 said:
I am old enough to remember seeing the few VHS anime titles from the early Manga UK days, and a few dodgy ones from Kiseki ( remember them?) in video rental shops back in '98, but you could count them all on one hand. In short our market is still young and growing. Yes we are getting more than those days, but when I see the releases that come out of the US, and how many we get, in the same year, it's then I feel like Oliver holding up my bowl begging, "Please sir, can I have some more?".

Actually if you compare the two markets there's hardly any bowl offering upwards given the amount companies are doling out. But to an extent that's the price paid for having and industry that due to financial markets etc has to leech of the US now mostly for titles. That part's more picking at semantics though as I fully agree with you the UK are a growing market still. This doesn't change the fact that financially it's not sane to go buy out a company in an emerging market, plus very bad business practice.

The fact is by not buying Manga from Starz (if that were even a reality) I can guarantee you the UK will get a better deal for Anime than if they were bought up. MVM and Manga's pseudo-independence guarantees you that variety of content that is difficult for a company who is a part of a Japanese larger company. Sure we provide a variety of content and we push for new works unrelated to Bandai (Haruhi, Gurren Lagann etc) - but there's always more boundaries in place. If you look at other emerging markets like the Czech Republic - there's far bigger bottlenecks on DVD releases there.

Ultimately the UK is past the early emerging market phase - now it's about developing a sustainable market and breaking the vicious cycle of picking up UK titles :).

Mohawk52 said:
BTW if you think City Hunter is that great, why have you held it from us? Do you think that HQ in the US might be a bit mift by you suggesting I import it from there? It's no good you thinking "it's done well in France and Germany, but wouldn't do well here." You just don't know until you try it. And you wonder and lament why most of us download, when you are in a position to do something about it? Sorry Andrew. I'd better stop. I can feel my blood pressure rising again., and I don't want to say something I'll regret later. It's your business after all. I'm just a customer, or could be.

First: We have no HQ in the US, we're a part of the same Special Business Unit - but we do not answer to them :).

Secondly: They don't hold the US rights - ADV did until they lapsed so whatever's left is the last of their stock.

Thirdly: Actually I did recommend it but the only way to take it for the UK would be to take ALL of it. Taking a 50-100 episode series on the premise a few people would like something out of the 1980s is taking a big gamble really. When you evaluate the fact for that price you could buy all of following series if they were available (Bacanno is in that mystic pile of licenses bottlenecked by a certain company in the US owning the R2 rights):

- Bacanno
- Xam'D
- Kannagi

If faced with that choice, which would you go for both from a business perspective and as a fan? At the time it was a different set of three but they performed equally well as I would hope the three I listed would (also accurate for pricing comparison too).

Fourth: City Hunter never did well in Germany, in fact it only aired on TV there in 2001 and the DVDs are hardly stellar material there. Had it done well across the two markets then the odds are we *would* have brought it to the UK - honest! Sadly at work we always have to keep an eye on things as it's very easy as fans to snap a license up, only to realize while the 200-400 or so fans of it in the UK will buy it - after that nobody else will! Those kind of decisions are never easy though.

I also fail to see how that has anything to do with any lamenting why people download titles I may do. When I do so, it's related to fresh titles sales being impacted by people downloading and not replacing anime. The culture of anime being for all intents and purposes worthless to many barring in the form of free-to-download. Present company excluded as everyone on the forums here have bought DVDs or manga before at some point :).

However with any retro title you must factor in the fact that many who want to buy it but can't will have imported or downloaded it years ago. So in that kind of case you have to evaluate - will there be even a medium-sized fresh market for this title or not?

Hope this helps clarify :).

- Andrew

Okay Andrew, You've convinced me. No Japanese anime company needs to buyout any UK distribution company. However having said that I can't help but think some might disagree, but we will leave it there. I also can see that alot of what you're basing your hard decisions on is a few statistics, past sales records of different titles, in a different time, in a market that is in constant flux, that you admit is improving, and a market that is more pan European, rather than UK centric. Forgive me for being the later as living here I can't help myself, also I'm not in your position. But I also can't help but feel that those decisions are maybe leaning a bit too causiously in taking risks, to the point that it has hindered your business streatagy of expanding the market in the way you want. If you can believe the Financial Times the Economy could come out of this recession sooner than first thought. People will start to feel better about buying things again and sales will improve. Perhaps it is folly for these two Japanese companies to do what they are doing in Europe, but like I was told by my economics professor back in college, "there's no success without risk, but if one doesn't take that risk, one can not succeed" that is a tough choice. which many have made. I have no information of the ratio of fail to success, but who cares? that's what the game of Poker is all about, playing the best game with the cards you are dealt. To answer your question which I would choose? I'd bet the house and go for all three, cause I'm a fan now. but I wasn't before I saw Tenchi Muyo. There's a lot of potential fans out there, you only see 400, or 500 that you can rely on. I see 4000 to 5000, maybe more just waiting. All they need is to be woken up. Thank you for all your time to explain. :)

Mohawk52 said:
Okay Andrew, You've convinced me. No Japanese anime company needs to buyout any UK distribution company. However having said that I can't help but think some might disagree, but we will leave it there. I also can see that alot of what you're basing your hard decisions on is a few statistics, past sales records of different titles, in a different time, in a market that is in constant flux, that you admit is improving, and a market that is more pan European, rather than UK centric. Forgive me for being the later as living here I can't help myself, also I'm not in your position. But I also can't help but feel that those decisions are maybe leaning a bit too causiously in taking risks, to the point that it has hindered your business streatagy of expanding the market in the way you want. If you can believe the Financial Times the Economy could come out of this recession sooner than first thought. People will start to feel better about buying things again and sales will improve. Perhaps it is folly for these two Japanese companies to do what they are doing in Europe, but like I was told by my economics professor back in college, "there's no success without risk, but if one doesn't take that risk, one can not succeed" that is a tough choice. which many have made. I have no information of the ratio of fail to success, but who cares? that's what the game of Poker is all about, playing the best game with the cards you are dealt. To answer your question which I would choose? I'd bet the house and go for all three, cause I'm a fan now. but I wasn't before I saw Tenchi Muyo. There's a lot of potential fans out there, you only see 400, or 500 that you can rely on. I see 4000 to 5000, maybe more just waiting. All they need is to be woken up. Thank you for all your time to explain. :)
That's one very nice post. What I highlighted in your post is possibly the difference between potential and actual sales figures... It's sad, but anime doesn't sell on thousands of units.

Here is the problem - risk takers are usually followed by others. ADV was a risk taker and licensed several titles, some good, some bad and a handful of fan-favourites like Eva and Azumanga.

But ADV failed.

And the problem is, before ADV, others were in a similar position. Geneon, Animeigo and CPM comes to my mind right now. They were also taking risks and each had good titles as Higurashi, YUA and Loddoss respectively.

All these things considered, it seems to me that the simple fact the companies are still investing in solely in Anime is already a risk in itself.

During the industry panel at Ayacon, MVM said that the live action Cutey Honey outselled by 3 times their best seller anime (or was it two?). So basically, MVM decided to diversfy in order to survive. Same for Manga and their Dororo and Blood on the live-action front. The way I see, this is a move to mitigate any risk on the anime business and slowly, but steadily, moving towards a more diverse audience, even though still a niche, the broader your audience, chances are you can benefit from it.

On top of that, distributors already have a presence online on iTunes, PSN, live and streams. Looking at what they are doing, seems to me that they are taking risks, albeit slower than what we actually wanted.

Also - if you ever attended a convention or expo and tried to talk to the nice industry people from Beez and MVM, you would know that they are basically one-man-show companies, with the odd helpers here and there. As I've heard before, anime is a business for the passionate, not for the greedy.

The thing is there are a lot of casual fans from the days of DBZ being on TV, that know nothing of fansubs, but have grown older, and would take a chance at a well-priced mature Anime release. A lot of them are still put off from when they would look into a shop and see 4 episode DVDs @ £20. Attract them in with shows on channels people watch (even if it is just Bravo or Sci-Fi), and then promote the value DVDs now available.

A lot of people would buy more if they just didn't like daylight robbery of their wallets compared to other TV Series releases.

King Jimmeh said:
A lot of them are still put off from when they would look into a shop and see 4 episode DVDs @ £20. Attract them in with shows on channels people watch (even if it is just Bravo or Sci-Fi), and then promote the value DVDs now available.
The more you sell, the cheaper you can cahrge or so says Economy of scale. Problem is, if you sell little, you still have the high cost of producing the show to dillute. BBFC charges, authoring, advertising, etc.

If you sell hundreds your bound to be more expensive than if you sell thousands. So, attracting the casual buyer is really complicated on niche markets as anime.

To do what you say and sell cheaper to be on pair with TV shows boxsets, the distributor might need to take a loss.

Manga seems to be working like this on the lesser known shows and dilluting any possible loss on such titles as operational costs and spreading profits between the lesser known shows and the more popular ones likes Naruto and Bleach.

But manga has a 13 billion dollars company behind it (Liberty media). The closest you can get is Beez with a 3 Billion dolars company behind it (Bandai), but seemingly they have a completely different approach.

Attract people with more anime on TV is something all the companies dream about, but as far as I been told, the channels don't want any anime. If I'm not deaming, I've heard that the distributors gave the right to air their shows to Anime Central fo free, something that I believe they would do again if sci-fi or bravo had any interest.

I've heard from Andrew or Hugh in one of those industry panel that they did try to get more anime on TV, but the channels are simply not interested.

Other than give the rights for free, they could pay for the channels to air the shows, but I don't think there's enough money for them to try and do that.

chaos said:
But ADV failed.

And the problem is, before ADV, others were in a similar position. Geneon, Animeigo and CPM comes to my mind right now. They were also taking risks and each had good titles as Higurashi, YUA and Loddoss respectively.

All these things considered, it seems to me that the simple fact the companies are still investing in solely in Anime is already a risk in itself.

During the industry panel at Ayacon, MVM said that the live action Cutey Honey outselled by 3 times their best seller anime (or was it two?). So basically, MVM decided to diversfy in order to survive. Same for Manga and their Dororo and Blood on the live-action front. The way I see, this is a move to mitigate any risk on the anime business and slowly, but steadily, moving towards a more diverse audience, even though still a niche, the broader your audience, chances are you can benefit from it.

On top of that, distributors already have a presence online on iTunes, PSN, live and streams. Looking at what they are doing, seems to me that they are taking risks, albeit slower than what we actually wanted.

Also - if you ever attended a convention or expo and tried to talk to the nice industry people from Beez and MVM, you would know that they are basically one-man-show companies, with the odd helpers here and there. As I've heard before, anime is a business for the passionate, not for the greedy.
ADV itself didn't fail, the marrage between them and Sojitz failed, and like any failed marrage, it's a messy affair that affects anyone involved with them, us included. That is why they have had to do what they are doing now to repair the damage, and get back in track again. What the others did to cause their failure was what I'm seeing happening with Beez, and Manga, though Manga are trying to correct this, is they relied on just the existing fan base to buy their products, thinking that was all there was to it, not putting in much effort, or no effort on Geneon's part, apart from going to conventions, to advertise and make loud noises to the masses that "Hey! look what we got, have you tried it? Come and have a look! Want to try more?" . No they are treating anime and manga like it's a closed club, or faith religion that only serves its members, like the church, or the Masons. where any new member have to find them first. I still get people who ask me "whats this all about ? is it just filth and porn?" I agree it needs exposure on the main tv channels, other than the kids titles, but there is newspapers, NEO, the TV listing mags, the shop floors of malls and supermarkets, even the sides of busses. Shout loud and clear. Expand your advertising. Okay they may be a one man operation, but they have corporate backing don't they? Can't they ask for a budget for more advertising? Sometimes a company has to spend money to make more money.

Mohawk52 said:
No they are treating anime and manga like it's a closed club, or faith religion that only serves its members, like the church, or the Masons. where any new member have to find them first. I still get people who ask me "whats this all about ? is it just filth and porn?" I agree it needs exposure on the main tv channels, other than the kids titles, but there is newspapers, NEO, the TV listing mags, the shop floors of malls and supermarkets, even the sides of busses. Shout loud and clear. Expand your advertising. Okay they may be a one man operation, but they have corporate backing don't they? Can't they ask for a budget for more advertising? Sometimes a company has to spend money to make more money.
For a niche market, there is loads of exposure and coverage of anime around. how much of Japanese cinema or brazilian culture do you know about? Loads of people heard od city of god or the ring, but beside that, how much do you know?

Barbican is the only place around I hear of runs of brazilian films (actually latin american, but they have quite a few).

Anime on the other hand have conventions outside London, there was shows like that manga exhibition in Manchester, last year and those library run manga days (can't remember the tlibrary).

Also, shouting for the sake of making noise is pointless, because it would be like treating anime like something it's not: A product for the masses. Even in Japan anime is not as mainstream as most people think, just try and get a tv schedule adn see the time anime airs (and also, the show producers usually buy those timeslots...)

Yes, there's the need to expand the fanbase, I would like to know how Blood did on the cinemas, as I've seen posters of it all around. If blood did decently, I'm inclined to agree with you. If it didn't well, I'll keep my opinion that a niche market needs something other than making noise to flourish.

chaos said:
For a niche market, there is loads of exposure and coverage of anime around. how much of Japanese cinema or brazilian culture do you know about? Loads of people heard od city of god or the ring, but beside that, how much do you know?
Only the one's advertised. :wink:

Barbican is the only place around I hear of runs of brazilian films (actually latin american, but they have quite a few).

Anime on the other hand have conventions outside London, there was shows like that manga exhibition in Manchester, last year and those library run manga days (can't remember the tlibrary).

Also, shouting for the sake of making noise is pointless, because it would be like treating anime like something it's not: A product for the masses. Even in Japan anime is not as mainstream as most people think, just try and get a tv schedule adn see the time anime airs (and also, the show producers usually buy those timeslots...)

Yes, there's the need to expand the fanbase, I would like to know how Blood did on the cinemas, as I've seen posters of it all around. If blood did decently, I'm inclined to agree with you. If it didn't well, I'll keep my opinion that a niche market needs something other than making noise to flourish.
I too would like to know how well Blood did. I had goose bumps when I first saw a poster for it at several bus stops, but the most significant question would be, how many know it was orginally an anime? I know that had I liked it, but later found out it was originally an animation, I would seek it out. I can't be the only one like that.

Back