Shogakukan, Shueisha Buy 2 European Anime Distributors

Mohawk52 said:
chaos said:
For a niche market, there is loads of exposure and coverage of anime around. how much of Japanese cinema or brazilian culture do you know about? Loads of people heard od city of god or the ring, but beside that, how much do you know?
Only the one's advertised. :wink:
:p Fair enough.
my point was basically, that although not massively advertise, anime still have more exposure than other niche segmets.

Mohawk52 said:
I too would like to know how well Blood did. I had goose bumps when I first saw a poster for it at several bus stops, but the most significant question would be, how many know it was orginally an anime? I know that had I liked it, but later found out it was originally an animation, I would seek it out. I can't be the only one like that.
Nope. I believe there are several person like you. An awful lot of people wouold try to dl / rent or even buy if they enjoyed the movie.
I can only think that it's a real shame the movie wasn't half as good as the anime.

On another note, The misterious cities of gold seemed to have been REALLY popular. It was an anime, why there was no follow up after that?

The live action Blood movie was a cheap, poor looking low budget affair with a paper thin plot and dull underdeveloped characters. All the advertising that was done for the film was to go to waste given that the bad word of mouth would be damning enough. A bad film is a bad film so I don't think it's a really fair point of reference.

chaos said:
On another note, The misterious cities of gold seemed to have been REALLY popular. It was an anime, why there was no follow up after that?
It did get 2 seasons on the BBC. :wink:, and that was back in the late 70's early 80's. It just disappeared after it was aired and I don't remember any Betamax, or VHS tapes available of it after that. However I do own the boxset now. One of my other charished possessions like Starblazers. :) Good or bad, the ad campaign that Blood got must have put more bums on seats for them to find out, more so than if it was just word of mouth, or advertised at a convention only. :wink:

Mohawk52 said:
Good or bad, the ad campaign that Blood got must have put more bums on seats for them to find out, more so than if it was just word of mouth, or advertised at a convention only. :wink:
It might have done but in the end it was a waste of time because it was a bad movie to begin with, critical flop. After the first wave of cinema goers have seen the film they'll no doubt tell others to avoid it. They probably made more of a loss with all the money they had to put into the marketing.

Sy said:
It might have done but in the end it was a waste of time because it was a bad movie to begin with, critical flop. After the first wave of cinema goers have seen the film they'll no doubt tell others to avoid it. They probably made more of a loss with all the money they had to put into the marketing.
Only the info from the PR budget, and the box office take results, will show for certain whether it was a flop, or not, and I doubt Production I.G. will let that sort of info out. You might not have liked it, but others might have loved it. I haven't seen it yet to say either way, but if they did love that, I wonder if they would love the anime the same , if not more? A question that will most likely remain unanswered. :wink:

Mohawk52 said:
Sy said:
Only the info from the PR budget, and the box office take results, will show for certain whether it was a flop, or not, and I doubt Production I.G. will let that sort of info out. You might not have liked it, but others might have loved it. I haven't seen it yet to say either way, but if they did love that, I wonder if they would love the anime the same , if not more? A question that will most likely remain unanswered. :wink:
One more thing. Netional Lottery awards films with money for PR. If this movie got the award (basically indie and foreign movies applies to), then the money they got have to be spent on PR.

So basically, it migth be the case where manga got the money for the ads from the National Lottery fund and advertised it as much as they could.

Mohawk52 said:
You might not have liked it, but others might have loved it.
Given the general critical and fan reactions and adding to the fact that when I went to see it during a weekend at a time when the cinema is packed only 4 other people were there I think it's safe to say that the movie didn't do as well as they had hoped.

Sy said:
Mutsumi said:
Ahh thats ok then. :) I expect a shallow swordy bloodfest.
It's not bloody unless you're expecting weird CGI blood for the most part.

No good then. I expect my movies to have real blood, & the actors to require transfusions after every scene in order to survive.

Back