Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [final ep - 39]

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [current ep - 06]

ep5

Technological problems are afoot again.

I get the impression that Anno is just enjoying drawing something that he wants to draw - all the tech/explosions/Missiles/Lasers... Something he probably had limited scope to do when working under someone else on projects such as Nausicaa and Grave of the Fireflies...

Trees cause appropriate damage in this episode apparently.

Nadia displays some compassion for a human... A first?

Ep5

Well, that escalated quickly. Even though I hadn't seen it, I had heard about the part dealing with the death of Marie's parents and it certainly lived up to its good reputation.

Just as a passing thought on the tech, I'm actually surprised they didn't put the setting a little bit further on than they have done. If they've set it twenty years later, things like the combustion engine, flight, etc. would be far more plausible. I'm probably missing the point...

Some general thoughs so far

Much like Ath, I've circled around this series for years without ever making the effort to start on it properly, and I'm glad to have finally taken the plunge. It really does have a great sense of adventure to it, even though I'm a bit at a loss to explain why I think it stands out; whether it be the brisk pace or how it just reminds me of when I was little and marvelled at the similarly constructed Mysterious Cities of Gold. Perhaps having the child protagonists makes a difference? I feel if the main characters were older, they'd have been more definitely drawn into the wider conflict by now, but as it is, they seem to be positioned more like observers, understanding some of what the adults are involved in, but never quite being part of it.

I'm quite interested in Grandis's crew as well. I think the OP gives us a strong hint that they're pretty harmless, so I was unsure how they'd fit into the story and, even though Grandis's comments suggest they were looking for a reward offered on the Blue Water jewel, it doesn't explain how they come to have such elaborate equipment at their disposal.

ilmae was of course completely right to say they're likely based on the Time Bokan villains. My first thought was that, given when the Pokemon series first aired, Team Rocket might have been based on Grandis & co, but I'm sure the Doronbo gang would be a more likely common ancestor for all of them.

Also this really needs to be preserved for future generations.

Last edited by a moderator:

They spent too much money on animating that one explosion and window breaking in ep 5 and were left... a little short when it came time for the music video.

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [current ep - 05]

Ep 5.

They handled some tricky subject matter fairly well here. I'm impressed that Nadia and Jean explained to Marie that her parents were dead rather than simply ducking the question endlessly until Marie worked it out for herself.

That cannon gunner on the hillside has crazy good aim, especially if he can hit a fairly small moving object at such long range. Jean and Nadia are lucky the skin of the plane is made of fabric, the shell would have blown them up if it were metal. That plane crash though, how did they escape that with no injuries? Even being thrown clear would likely break some bones.

It seems Team Rocket are at least a little fond of Nadia for whatever reason. I suspect the Grandis will play a role in everyone's eventual escape, unless the Nautilus shows up.

It seems Jean is inventive in any situation, he was pretty clever when escaping from the house.

Smeelia said:
The scene where Nadia's group were hiding in the house is a little odd. The bad guys use some kind of explosive (a mortar round, maybe?) just in front of the house but don't target the house itself, this despite the fact that they clearly have no intention of taking anyone alive.
I would say their tactics are sound. If you blow up the intruders then you will likely never know if they were spies from Nautilus (which seems to be their primary concern), whereas if you simply gun them down then you can still search the bodies for clues about their identities and intentions. I do agree though that the baddies were trying a little too hard at being 'evil'.

One final thought, riverside rocks are awesome.

Ath said:
I sit through the OP and ED each time, they suit the show perfectly so far. Shiro Sagisu's soundtrack is excellent as always, I especially like how he incorporates the melody of the OP into his music.
I like the music in this show quite a lot. I particularly like the Neo-Atlan/Gargoyle music, it tells you pretty much everything you need to know about them in a few notes. All the "themes" are quite good really.

msgeek said:
Nadia displays some compassion for a human... A first?
Did she lack compassion before? Most of the people she has met were hateful, untrustworthy and/or involved in warfare (which she strongly opposes) so it's not like she's had much reason to be especially keen on them. I guess she hasn't had many positive experiences with people in the past so she tends to be cautious (that seemed to be implied anyway). I think she did previously apologise to Jean for dragging him into things, at least.

Episode 6
Quite a lot going on here, which is normal for this show I guess.

Jean's scouting was quite well done, he is kind of a smart guy. Also, when he mentions he borrowed the new torch from the Nautilus does he mean he stole it or that they included it in the supplies? I wonder where he's been keeping it, it looked kind of bulky.

At least all of the soldiers aren't so bad, it was nice of that guy to help Marie get the flower... Oh, wait. At least we know that different patrols really do have different policies on prisoners.

Marie mentioned that her father used to work at the power plant so presumably someone was running it before Neo-Atlan (actually, is that the organisation's name or is it just their salute? I may not have been paying attention). Of course, it could also be that Neo-Atlan changed the place quite a bit from what it was like before or that they did previously run it but underwent a change in policies to become what they are now. I guess it's not especially important but I find it interesting.

All in all, a pretty good episode that had a bit of everything. That seems to be normal for this show too, really.

ep6

Going to church on Sunday = Good Girl... Is this a different take on religion by Anno or just Nadia being polite to Marie...?

Kings balls are more prominent as he exits the cave.

Crushing of flowers by tank of bad guys... Experimentation with deeper symbolic meanings of scenes?

Nadia makes some use of her previously disclosed acrobatics skills to escape the blast furnace but seems to struggle given her level of skill... Of course it makes for more interesting viewing...

Episode 4

How will we ever know if we run into characters such as Electra again with them using such expert disguises?

Episode 5

I think AF summed this up nicely, as the biggest take away was the subtle emotion of the scenes with Marie.

--

Overall, the first five episodes of Nadia make for a thrilling introduction that poses far more questions than it answers, without ever drifting into being poorly paced - or feeling overly contrived (despite the fact that, well, it is).

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [current ep - 07]

I'm not sure how everyone is getting on but I was wondering if we should be making weekends "catch up" days rather than watching new episodes. That way, anyone that falls behind could still catch up in time for the bigger posts every 5 episodes (and it'd give people more time to do those kinds of posts). Plus, it'd be easier for anyone that didn't start at the beginning to join in.

Obviously it's a bit late for this weekend but we could take two days off before next weekend or just start then. I'm fine carrying on with an episode a day but if there's demand for a break now and then then I'd be okay with that too.

msgeek said:
Nadia makes some use of her previously disclosed acrobatics skills to escape the blast furnace but seems to struggle given her level of skill... Of course it makes for more interesting viewing...
It could be that she wanted to try and stay near Jean in case he needed help (which he did), although I'm not sure that fully explains it. I suppose she was in an entertainment industry so maybe she can't shake the habit of playing to the audience (even when there isn't one).

Episode 7
"See, I kill my own men"

I'd like to think that Gargoyle just has a terrible aim but at least he recovered well. It might have been a bit funnier if he'd said "I never liked that lamp anyway".

Nadia won't eat food prepared by murderers. I have to wonder what it'd be like to be on the service staff in an evil organisation like this, I guess they're kind of guilty by association but I wonder what their options were really like. I also wonder what the job advert said.

I couldn't help feeling it might have been nice if the guards at the mine carts were having a funny conversation. I like to see faceless goons humanised a bit, especially if they're going to be slaughtered by uncaring heroes (which is maybe not very likely here).

I liked the bit where the guard closes the truck doors, there was some nice attention to detail in the way he moved. I'm not sure why that stood out to me.

Also, there was some story. These "Neo-Atlantis" (as it turns out) guys are using some kind of ancient lost technology, which includes a kind of doomsday satellite. That's some pretty significant escalation over submarines and things but I suppose it wouldn't be much of an evil organisation without a doomsday device. Speaking of which, nothing says "evil organisation" quite like a room full of people wearing formal wear and masks, applauding.

I have to wonder how the Nautilus hasn't found this base yet. It seems that they've been nearby for a while and the base has some pretty bright lights. I guess you couldn't see the main base from the sea but the Neo-Atlantis guys at the port didn't seem to be making much effort to keep their presence secret. Maybe they realised just after they sent Nadia and Jean away but weren't able to do anything about it yet (being occupied with repairs and such). Either way, they're pretty sure to know where it is now.

Not against setting a catch-up day if people want to do it, but I'd rather it was just the one day a week rather than two - I'd like to keep the momentum going as much as possible.

Ep6

Can't add much that hasn't already been commented on, but is 'Grandis' actually a Hispanic name? I only ask as I can't remember her being referred to as "Senorita" before. Unless it's just something I didn't pick up on.

Also making your baddies a combination of the KKK and the nazis is sort of genius.

Ep7

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the room where Nadia is held prisoner immediately made me think of the scenes with Clarisse being kept captive in the Castle of Cagliostro. The technology really does seem to have taken a turn towards the fantastical as well, but I'd give them props just for the sheer audacity of including an orbital laser in a series set in the 19th century. I certainly did not expect that.

Episode 6

Some more great lighting in this episode, and some complex sequences well realized. Jean's reconnaissance mission and the lead characters running through the blast furnace area in particular looked great (some of the artwork variation on the characters doesn't always look great, but sometimes it provides a really cool contrast to how they usually appear).

You can clearly see how quickly and how deeply Nadia and Jean's relationship has come on over the course of what they've been through. Nadia has come to expect Jean to have some sort of plan, as much as she is prepared to argue with him over some things he comes up with.

There's a lot going on with the design of the Neo-Atlan guys. And it feels like they were careful not to show the face of the duder who had his mask removed.

--

msgeek said:
ep6

Crushing of flowers by tank of bad guys... Experimentation with deeper symbolic meanings of scenes?
I think "experimentation" is kind of damning it with faint praise, I thought it was a competently delivered scene where they didn't really dwell on that aspect.

Smeelia said:
I'm not sure how everyone is getting on but I was wondering if we should be making weekends "catch up" days rather than watching new episodes. That way, anyone that falls behind could still catch up in time for the bigger posts every 5 episodes (and it'd give people more time to do those kinds of posts). Plus, it'd be easier for anyone that didn't start at the beginning to join in.
This was something I suggested as a possibility to Prof at the very beginning, but two things make me think he was right to just say a flat one a day:

a) People are generally keeping up. It's possible that has become less true over the last day and a half though, and that by Tuesday we might be looking at just three or so people on the current episode.

b) Far more relevant concern - it pushes the simulwatch time from five and a half weeks to eight weeks, and I think that increases the chance of people dropping off at least as much as anything else would.

Professor Irony said:
Ep6

Also making your baddies a combination of the KKK and the nazis is sort of genius.
Haha, exactly what I was trying to say here:

ilmaestro said:
Episode 6

There's a lot going on with the design of the Neo-Atlan guys.

ilmaestro said:
msgeek said:
ep6

I think "experimentation" is kind of damning it with faint praise, I thought it was a competently delivered scene where they didn't really dwell on that aspect.

By experimentation I'm referring to the fact that this is "dabbled" in in this scene whereas with eva it took this kind of concept to insane levels. As a stand alone scene in a stand alone anime I agree it is well delivered.

Yeah, I can see where you're going with that. It's certainly no pulsing crucifix expanding out into the sky. ^^;

Ep 6.
The mecha(?) design bears some similarities to those of Laputa, but seeing it crush the flowers is the complete opposite of the Laputa mechs. Oh wait, Laputa was about a girl with a glowing blue gemstone necklace being chased by baddies seeking an ancient treasure. Sounds familiar.
And as for TR, it seems Jessie's surname is actually Grandis, which could get confusing when their tank thingy is also called Grandis (presumably in her honour).
Also, Jean trying to peak when Nadia was cooling off :lol:

Ep 7.
So, the ancient Atlantian civilization was extraordinarily technologically advanced and left behind a giant particle cannon. Okaaaaay. I guess that explains the advanced tech we've been seeing. Which raises the question of how Nemo acquired his submarine, did he have dealings with Neo-Atlantis in the past or is there another group with access to this ancient technology?
Was it my imagination or were all those mine carts filled with giant Lego bricks? I've no idea how Jean could sleep on them, anyone who has stood on a stray Lego brick in their bare feet will know what I mean.
Flowers in a castle near the sky, more Laputa comparisons. Now I think about it, the circuitry in the Atlantian tech looks similar to the stuff in Laputa's control room as well.

Episode 7

[spoilerbutton]
6bvdwDL.jpg
[/spoilerbutton]

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [current ep - 08]

Fair points on the delay, maybe it's not really worth taking time off. I guess people could try to watch more than one episode in a day if they fall behind and need to catch up. If you only barely have time for one episode or less a day then it's not that likely you'd be able to catch up anyway, I guess.

BanzaiJedi said:
The mecha(?) design bears some similarities to those of Laputa, but seeing it crush the flowers is the complete opposite of the Laputa mechs. Oh wait, Laputa was about a girl with a glowing blue gemstone necklace being chased by baddies seeking an ancient treasure. Sounds familiar.
The Laputa comparisons are kind of interesting, although I suppose the general ideas aren't entirely uncommon in fiction. I have to admit, when the Blue Water glows while Nadia is on the tower in the first episode I did think she could maybe jump off and float to safety. I guess not every glowing gem has the "slow fall" ability.

BanzaiJedi said:
Was it my imagination or were all those mine carts filled with giant Lego bricks? I've no idea how Jean could sleep on them, anyone who has stood on a stray Lego brick in their bare feet will know what I mean.
I wondered about that too. At least Lego bricks tend to be light so having them fall on you wouldn't be as bad as having more standard bricks fall on you (probably still quite unpleasant though).

Episode 8
Gradual build up to some crazy over the top action.

Those Neo-Atlantis soldiers aren't too well disciplined. Turn the lights out and they start shooting each other. Bonus points to the Commander for calling them out on it, at least.

I really enjoyed seeing Sanson cut loose, it was mad but it was also great fun.

I think Gargoyle was a little harsh on the Commander, the main problem they had didn't really have anything to do with the intruders. I wonder if they'll know what went wrong since everyone likely to have seen the problem is probably dead.

I guess Gargoyle will have to put in a call to the Mook Union. I feel kind of bad for the Chefs and such. At least the surviving villagers all seemed to be on the outside (although I'd guess there must still be some Neo-Atlantis guys who were down at the port or on patrol).

ep7

Shooting the staff for apparently no reason? Thats got to help with morale... or is it a "rule by fear" or are they just all religous nut-jobs?

Gagging the Lion... Because you wouldn't want the lion to talk now would you?

Yes those apper to be lego... Pink Lego... Half expecting Unikitty from Cloud Cuckoo Land to put in an appearance...

Spiral structure? Spiral Power?

In the dub it sounds like the are saying neo-adler. Keeps reiminding me of Iron Sky.

Huge Dials.

Big Explosions.

ep8

More religous symbolism in the dialogue.

Teaming up with team rocket. Seems reasonable.

"You're not human" "Exactly"...

Dangling restraining device through portal in the ceiling? Convienient. Every business should have one in their lobby.

More missiles and explosions. Lots of explosions.

A floating ship? Just can't get the staff can you?

Episode 8

I don't know about you guys, but I always travel around inside an invisible box just in case.

The plot direction of Grandis' team's face turn is, of course, something we have seen time and again - but that's because it's basically good every time, and this is no exception.

I think when you look at the pace of this first "arc" of sorts, especially with hindsight, it's not hard to see that the show was not planned to be 39 episodes long.

Ep 8.

Smeelia said:
Those Neo-Atlantis soldiers aren't too well disciplined. Turn the lights out and they start shooting each other. Bonus points to the Commander for calling them out on it, at least.
Yeah, a classic example of soldiers with no combat experience having itchy trigger fingers. The Commander has (or had at least :p ) his head on straight.

A civilization so advanced they can put satellites into orbit and build directed energy weapons decided to engrave their technical schematics onto stone tablets? [sarcasm]I'm sure Cern do the same thing at the Large Hadron Collider[/sarcasm].

I keep mixing up the names Gratan and Grandis, I need to be careful with that in the future. In any case the Gratan/Katherine is a tough little, er, tank thingy. As is the Nautilus, what the hell is that thing's hull made of?

The particle cannon caused an explosion like that at only 3% power? Jesus...

Nadia didn't have much to do in this episode, aside from the being the classic 'damsel in distress'. Still, Jean stepped up when he needed to most.

Not human? That might explain the insistence on masks I guess, it would be odd if only the leader was wearing one.

Also, am I the only one who expects Nemo to burst into a full John Travolta style disco dance? The moustache and white trousers are soooo '70s.

Back