Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [final ep - 39]

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [current ep - 09]

ilmaestro said:
I don't know about you guys, but I always travel around inside an invisible box just in case.
I guess he has to be cautious, what with his tendency to murder the people that work for him on a whim.

ilmaestro said:
The plot direction of Grandis' team's face turn is, of course, something we have seen time and again - but that's because it's basically good every time, and this is no exception.
Absolutely. I think the show would probably be a little dull without Grandis' crew.

BanzaiJedi said:
A civilization so advanced they can put satellites into orbit and build directed energy weapons decided to engrave their technical schematics onto stone tablets? [sarcasm]I'm sure Cern do the same thing at the Large Hadron Collider[/sarcasm].
Maybe they did it using the orbital laser thing just to show off. I suppose it's possible that they just never invented paper or anything along those lines.

BanzaiJedi said:
Also, am I the only one who expects Nemo to burst into a full John Travolta style disco dance? The moustache and white trousers are soooo '70s.
I want this for the "true ending".

Episode 9
That recap seemed to change history a bit. I wouldn't say the Nautilus, Nadia's group or Grandis' crew were particularly responsible for the destruction of the base (it seemed to be a design flaw more than anything). It could be different in the dub, the recaps seem to vary a bit more than anything else (from the little bits of dub that I've sampled, at least).

Grandis is quite commanding under normal circumstances but it was impressive the way everyone fell in line once she changed uniform.

I guess the whole "don't let them wander around" thing was relaxed a bit. Electra was pretty quick to drop the mask as well, I did like the way everyone was shocked to see her true appearance though (such a dramatic change).

I wonder if Nemo takes requests. You'd think he'd play something more upbeat after they had some degree of success.

ep9

So the mask is removed...? Why...? Surely more people = higher risk of identity leaking?

Now Sanson sounds Australian???

Whales milk eh? Can't imagine how they go about milking a whale.

I guess Grandis has a thing for the tall, dark and silent types.

"Nadia... It couldn't be" Hold on... I thought they knew... Or maybe I'm getting confused?

Was that Bach - I can't quite place it? Setting Anime to classical music??? More "Experimentation" in the context of the work that followed?

Edit: best I can find is "Nemo's theme" Maybe it is an original and I'm Imagining things again.

msgeek said:
"Nadia... It couldn't be" Hold on... I thought they knew... Or maybe I'm getting confused?
I think Electra reacted the same way on their first meeting but she didn't seem to report it to Nemo, which seemed kind of odd (especially since she encouraged Nemo to meet Jean and Nadia).

Ep8

Welp, eight episodes in and they're already tying Nadia to a giant cross. Beat that, NGE.

Secretly, I think I really want Grandis, Sanson and Hanson to be the main characters. With driving like that, they would not have been out of place in Dominion Tank Police.

Ep9

Captain H̶a̶r̶l̶o̶c̶k̶ Nemo certainly has a way with the ladies. Must be the 'tache.

Jean and Hanson being science bros was a nice touch anyway. Also rather glad that Electra has dispensed with the disguise now - that was the worst effort since Clark Kent. Just as an aside though, I today realised an unidentified bit of artwork I've had lurking in one of my image folders for several years is most likely a picture of Electra. Perhaps the mask was working after all...

Ep 9.
When Electra took that mask off... so it was her the whole time! :roll:
Team Rocket are being remarkably well behaved, they've not even mentioned Blue Water. Hanson seems to be getting on well with Jean too. And the way Grandis' personality turned on a sixpence when a handsome guy walks in the room :lol:
An organ on a submarine. Maybe it could be used to deafen the enemy sonar operators?

Episode 9

This was a fine cool down/further setup episode. I do constantly wonder how Jean is going to explain to his Aunt and Uncle why he is away for so long, though.

msgeek said:
ep9

So the mask is removed...? Why...? Surely more people = higher risk of identity leaking?
How else was Jean ever supposed to realize it was her?!

huh??? Am I missing something here - I thought he'd never met her unmasked? (I'm probably just mis-interpreting your comment here)...

You could be right at that stage actually, the ridiculousness of the whole mask situation throws me for a loop.

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [current ep -10]

Episode 10

Things featured in this episode: 100% pure ballin'. And also some nice scenes between Nadia and Jean, reminding you both that they are children, but also they have become very close.

--

Ep. 6-10 - At the quarter mark of the series, the game is well and truly afoot compared to where we were after episode 5, when we had just met Marie. Every episode remains a thrill ride.

Eps 6-10. Definitely still enjoying this. It's a great adventure, and it's nice to see Nadia and Jean getting closer. Team Rocket are amusing too.

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [current ep - 10]

Episode 10
Mines are always fun. This bit wasn't quite as good as the one in Galaxy Quest but that's tough to top.

Alas, poor Jean. Victim of the so-called "Male Gaze". Good thing he redeemed himself.

I like that pretty much everyone thought it was a trap but they still went ahead. I guess Nemo didn't seem too surprised when they fell into a trap.

BanzaiJedi said:
I keep mixing up the names Gratan and Grandis, I need to be careful with that in the future. In any case the Gratan/Katherine is a tough little, er, tank thingy. As is the Nautilus, what the hell is that thing's hull made of?
In this episode, the guy on the deck in the background seemed to mention "Space Titanium" ("SPACE Titanium"?). I'm not sure if that was what Katherine was made of or something from the Nautilus they used to modify the tank.

Episodes 6-10
Even though it's only been one episode a day, it does feel like it's gone by quite fast. I guess that's a good sign. I'm still enjoying it a lot.

ep10

Only just spotted it (and had to re-wind and pause to double check) but the face in the rocks in the intro (think Mount Rushmore) is wearing sunglasses...

Ah captain Nemo asks Electra if the knew the whole time... She did... That explains a few things.

That hole in the bridge floor would surely drive the H&S people crazy nowadays.

Nemo rolls in.

Ah now Nemo's involved they are split up. Guess that puts Electras plans on ice.

Ah they missed the opportunity for Grandis to be talking about Nemo when Jean was thinking she was talking about him and Nadia and say something like "the time apart... the hours spent thinking about them... the way their voice brightens your day... the big bushy moustache".

I wonder how eager Grandis would be to volunteer her services if she wasn't interested in Nemo.

Does Nemo have one eye or was it just that scene?

Well that outcome does seem to paint Hanson, Sanson and Jean as fairly Gentlemanly.

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [current ep - 11]

msgeek said:
Well that outcome does seem to paint Hanson, Sanson and Jean as fairly Gentlemanly.
I'm not sure punching someone in the gut is entirely Gentlemanly, although I guess it was for a good cause. I'd like to think that Sanson would do the same for Hanson if the situation called for it.

Episode 11
The preview started with some whimsical sounding music and it was a pretty whimsical episode. Well, aside from the whole "anti-matter bomb" business.

I did find King kind of annoying this episode. Stealing someone's food is questionable but then scratching their face afterwards is pretty bad.

It was nice to see that Nemo isn't just perpetually grumpy (even if his grumpy face is good too). I also liked that Nadia seems to be adapting to the idea that there might be some decent people out there after all.

Not a bad episode overall. Nadia's new uniform was neat, although I'm not sure why Jean didn't get one (I guess studying doesn't count, Marie didn't get a uniform either). I can't decide if we needed the break or if it would have been better to get on with hunting Gargoyle, though.

Ep 10.
Team Grandis are much more impressive than Team Rocket ever were, that was a nice bit of work with the mines. I was surprised that Nemo fell for that trap though, it seemed kind of obvious to me. It was also interesting that Electra said that Nadia and the Blue Water were none of her business, perhaps suggesting that they are a personal matter of Nemo's?
Smeelia said:
BanzaiJedi said:
I keep mixing up the names Gratan and Grandis, I need to be careful with that in the future. In any case the Gratan/Katherine is a tough little, er, tank thingy. As is the Nautilus, what the hell is that thing's hull made of?
In this episode, the guy on the deck in the background seemed to mention "Space Titanium" ("SPACE Titanium"?). I'm not sure if that was what Katherine was made of or something from the Nautilus they used to modify the tank.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm not sure why titanium from space would be tougher than earth titanium, but hey who needs logic :roll:

Ep 11.
Very light-hearted episode for the most part. Grandis was showing her true self more which is always entertaining, and everyone else got to let their hair down a little. It was unexpected to find out that the Nautilus is powered by what is essentially a warp drive.

Ep10

Enjoyed this one a lot - an exciting episode that really put me in the mood for some more seafaring action. Kind of want to rewatch The Hunt For Red October now.

Also seems to confirm my earlier assumption that Electra is sweet for the Captain, given her reaction to Grandis joining their crew.

msgeek said:
Does Nemo have one eye or was it just that scene?

He definitely has two, I think the 'hat brim over one eye' thing is just a nod to the Captain in Space Battleship Yamato.

Ep11

Again, another really enjoyable episode, if for completely different reasons to the last one. Some great animation on the characters' faces here, particularly Nadia's reaction to the pot full of fish (garfish?). Not exactly highbrow material, but I actually thought King's antics were pretty funny as well, from his mathematical skills being superior to Marie's to his Alien-esque flight into the airducts.

Spotted a tiny continuity error near the end, in that Nadia's uniform briefly changes back to her original red vest in one of the long shots while she and Jean are on the deck.

General thoughts at this point

I'm pleased at how frequently the show has allayed my fears that it might not have aged well - it's been an absolute joy so far, tinged only with the sadness that Gainax have never really attempted anything quite like it ever again. Given that the concept was originally a pitch from Miyazaki, I'd also be curious to know how it compares with his own Future Boy Conan.

ep11

Ah so Electra has a thing for Nemo too?

Integrating into the crew seems to be the theme here.

po-tar-toes. (dub) Is Sanson meant to be English and is that how the English supposedly speak?

Huge Lion balls this episode.

Ah Nemo does indeed seem to have 2 eyes. Although the one eye look does make an appearence a couple of times in this ep.

Cleaning wearing a bow-tie. Because a gentleman should never be without one?

What ep are we up to? For some reason I thought today was 12?

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [current ep - 12]

BanzaiJedi said:
Yeah, I noticed that too. I'm not sure why titanium from space would be tougher than earth titanium, but hey who needs logic :roll:
Everything is better when you add "SPACE" to the name. "See you, Cowboy" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I suppose it could be that they call it Space Titanium but it's not actually Titanium (a different material, alloy or whatever).

Episode 12
Poor Grandis, a sad story and has her moment with Nemo ruined. I have to admit though, I'd have thought she was in her thirties. I wonder how old Nemo is.

Jean is smart in some ways but very stupid in others. I guess we all have our strengths.

That said, bonus points to Nadia for not staying angry at an innocent mistake. She may have reacted badly but that was understandable and she clearly forgave Jean afterwards. It would be easy to think that Nadia is just moody all the time (and it'd be easy to write her that way) but I like the fact she has more of a rounded character. She certainly can be moody and untrusting but it's usually easy to understand why she might act that way and it's not the only way she ever acts.

Not content to just kill Bambi's mother, Sanson decides to go straight for Bambi. I quite liked the way they presented it, it was obviously upsetting to Nadia but to everyone else it was just an everyday thing. I do think the "killing for food" subject is an interesting one, although I'm not sure we'll really be looking at it in-depth here. I guess for Nadia it's more about valuing life.

While these episodes have been kind of a diversion they haven't really felt wasted. Sometimes it's nice to just take some time out with the characters.

Re: Simulwatch - Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water [current ep - 12]

ep12

So now Hanson likes Grandis and Electra? This is getting complicated... A love pentagon?

Nadia "tarts herself up a bit"... Jean is oblivious.

Sanson hates fish.

Catfight?

Marie continues to have the best table manners.

Sounds like Nadia is jelous of Electra...? Adding them two into the mix arrives at... A love heptagon?

Sanson spying. Jean is oblivious again.

There was definitely some nipple there. Checked BBFC - "moderate sexualised nudity". Guess that makes sense although this ep is listed as on disk 3 on the bbfc site... Weird.

Grandis backstory. Good to get a backstory. A lot of anime seem to skimp on them these days (even when there obviously is one).

Interesting Jean was carrying the veggies. You can tell Nadia is pissed at him when he says how great it was - what sanson did.

"There's something here..." What could that be then...?

Back