The Anime/Manga I Bought Today Was...

From what I've learned, blu-rays/DVDs only attract customs/VAT charges if the value of the package is declared to be over £135.

So I'm not a brexiteer (not trying to diss anyone or start an argument just stating my own position) but they def used to be a lot more likely to charge customs fees on low-value packages of DVDs/Blu-rays, at least in my experience, when they were imported from the US :)

So I'm not a brexiteer (not trying to diss anyone or start an argument just stating my own position) but they def used to be a lot more likely to charge customs fees on low-value packages of DVDs/Blu-rays, at least in my experience, when they were imported from the US :)
To be fair, I think I haven't been charged since Royal Mail was privatised. Before that, I think it was every second or third parcel that for hit. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Yes, I believe the law and the way customs charges are calculated changed around 2021 when the UK officially left the EU. I'm not sure what the exact rulings are for importing other types of items, but with regards to blu-rays and DVDs, you won't get hit with any customs or VAT charges if the value of your package is less than £135 not including shipping costs.

I believe every online retailer abroad had to sign up for GB VAT if they wanted to continue selling to UK customers, which means that VAT is charged at the point of sale if you purchase less than £135 worth of stuff (although I never got charged VAT from what I could see when I purchased a blu-ray from Australia, so I'm not sure if some retailers pay the VAT themselves if under £135). There's currently no customs duty on DVDs/blu-rays, so there should be no extra fees to pay once it arrives in the UK. If it's over £135 then you'll get charged the standard VAT rate for whatever the item is (for blu-rays/DVDs, it's 20% of the total value including the shipping cost) + the handling fee from the courier.

So we basically have a £135 allowance for blu-rays/optical media before we start getting hit with any extra charges, which is honestly pretty nice all things considered.

I believe before this change, the limit was only £15 before VAT and other charges would begin to get applied.

Last edited:
Ordered the Paprika 4K steelbook (along with Sonic Prime S1) from AllYourMusic with their deal as well as Sailor Moon Super S from Amazon.

And not anime but anime related, I also ordered Dragon Ball: The Breakers on PS4 as it's on sale on The Game Collection for a little under £7.00. Dunno how much I'll play it but it's DB so I was going to pick it up sooner or later regardless.

And not to get to off-topic on this thread but I noticed there are listings for physical releases of FighterZ and Xenoverse 2 for PS5 / Series X.

I really must stop this! My latest folly from AllYourMusic:

The Pirates of Penzance DVD (Australian stage version) (£19.07), Namie Amuro - Finally 3 CDs with Blu-ray and Poster (£40.78), Himouto Umaru-chan R Blu-ray (£31.20), and Bibliophile Princess Complete Collection Blu-ray (£27.89)

Trawling Amazon US and couldn't resist Lady Georgie The Complete Series (£43.61 with postage and VAT). I can't wait to be nitpicky about how the Japanese show Australia in the 19th century.

Pre-ordered from All The Anime:

The God of High School - Complete Series (CE Blu-ray/CD)

Ordered from Ebay:
Giant Beasts Of ARS - Complete Series (Blu-ray)
I've Somehow Gotten Stronger When I Improved My Farm-Related Skills - Complete Series (Blu-ray)
Rozen Maiden - Complete Series Collection (Blu-ray)
Tears to Tiara - Complete Series (Blu-ray)

Back