The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Jeremy_Graves said:
Joshawott said:
My guess is that Manga UK might be planning for their release of Yu-Gi-Oh! to give each of the series' major story arcs its own volume, which would mean something like:

Volume 1: Duelist Kingdom (1-49)
Volume 2: Battle City Part 1 (50-97)
Volume 3: Virtual World (98-121)
Volume 4: Battle City Part 2 (122-144)
Volume 5: Waking the Dragons (145-184)
Volume 6: Grand Championship (185-198)
Volume 7: Dawn of the Duel (199-224)

If so, then the largest volume would be volume 1 (49 episodes), while the shortest would be volume 6 (13 episodes).

I'll double check with Manga HQ about this and get back to you guys accordingly. If memory serves I'm remember being told that it will be over 5 "sets" (for want of a better word).

Thanks! Considering the U.S. release schedule, five volumes would make a lot of sense. I'm guessing that with the "seasons 1-7" comment, it was referring to the different subtitles 4Kids gave to each of the series' different story arcs?

Lutga said:
Over five sets (as in 5+), or released 'over' five sets? ;-)

I chuckled at that :)
(EDIT - I realised that might have seemed snarky by me, wasn't intended to be if it was read that way.)

Right, got it confirmed by HQ that it is indeed five box sets that Manga UK are releasing, which is the seven seasons of Yu-Gi-Oh! (Duel Monsters). (The same release strategy as it was in the USA.) Release dates for the remaining box sets are still TBC, but Season 2 is tentatively set for Q1 2015 as things stand.

Funimation is doing a clearance sale on their Shop section, this kind of suggests that the following will go out of print quite soon (their most recent sets [i.e. S.A.V.E.] will still be available):

A Certain Magical Index [DVD Parts], B Gata H Kei: Yamada's First Time, Birdy the Mighty: DECODE, Casshern Sins, Chaos;Head, Chrome Shelled Regios, Corpse Princess: Shikabane Hime, Darker than Black, Dragon Ball Kai [Parts], Fairy Tail [Season 1 Parts], Freezing, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood [Parts], Ga-Rei: Zero, Heaven's Lost Property: Forte, Hero Tales [Parts], Legend of the Legendary Heroes [Parts], One Piece [Season 3 & 4 Voyages], Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, Sekirei, Sengoku Basara: Samurai Kings, Sgt. Frog, Shakugan no Shana [Season 2], Shin-chan, Soul Eater, Spice & Wolf, Steins;Gate, Strike Witches, Toriko

and various other older titles.

Those of you who have been collecting Star Blazers 2199 I have some bad news for you:
RACS said:
State of the Industry - Voyager Update

Last week I talked a little bit about my concerns regarding Voyager finishing their Starblazers (Yamato) 2199 release here in the US. They have managed to get four out of the scheduled six DVD and BD volumes published, but then late this past summer something seemed to go off the rails with the release, so we've been trying to contact them to find out what the deal is.

Well, this week I actually got an answer, though I admit it doesn't really instill me with confidence. Here it is word for word:
"RACS,
Thank you for your contact regarding our release of Starblazers 2199. Any further information are not clear. I'm sorry. But we are trying to continue distributing our animation. Sorry we have stopped selling Discs and postponed selling vol.5 and 6. The day of start selling is not clear. So sorry. If we start, we will announce on our Facebook and web site.
Thanks, Star Blazers Customers Service"
So, what did we find out?

1) we know there is still at least one person over there talking and breathing
2) they are still TRYING to distribute the series
3) the day of start selling is not clear
4) they are really very sorry

I read this as either a contract issue or a funding issue. If it's a funding issue because the initial four releases weren't selling well, they need to get the other two out and give it a chance. Call us up, we'll help you fund the final two volumes. Seriously.

If it's a contract issue, as in someone in Japan noticed that something wasn't right on the paperwork half way through the release - please get that squared away ASAP - you know, before the radiation makes earth entirely uninhabitable!

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if it hasn't done too well. The release strategy itself was pretty questionable. The first major misstep IMO was releasing it under that stupid name. Then you've got to consider that they were releasing it in 6 pricey, sub only, barebones releases.
I'm just about tolerant of Aniplex's five volume releases - but at least there I'm generally getting Dub + Sub, physical/on disc extras and JP quality video/audio. However you look at it this release just isn't appealing to consumers. I'd also like to point out that volume 1 came out 9 months ago.

Once again, another situation where another twat thought they could play the Aniplex game without paying the full dues (Full access on a/as many VOD Service(s as possible) and got socked in the face for it.

Honestly, no symphony.

animefreak17 said:
Is there any new on durarara dvd replacements

BD replacements will be 2015, it's a £12 - £15,000 project minimum so I have to find a point that makes sense to slot it in for sorting things out really, sorry!

Andrew

Back