The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Part of me thinks it's just the style that has become the norm over the years. For example if you compare an anime dub to a Radio 4 drama, they're entire worlds apart, even though they are both in essence voice acting.

Buzz201 said:
Having thought about it a bit more, I think the main problem I have with dubs is that they all seem to be done in incredibly loud, incredibly brash, excessively cheery/borderline smug American accents, even when the work doesn't call for it.

FUNi has somehow managed to get their actors to tone the excessive cheeriness and brashness that other dubs have and as a result it's significantly less grating.

Nail on the head.

Lutga said:
You haven't lived until you've seen Violence Jack at least once.

Looking at the releases, is it worth spending the extra to get the uncut Discotek release as opposed to the cut down Manga release? On Amazon, the Manga release is like £2 but the Discotek one is about £12.

I've only seen the Manga one - the picture quality is pretty awful but at only 2 quid, it's probably worth grabbing if you're curious.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Lutga said:
You haven't lived until you've seen Violence Jack at least once.

Looking at the releases, is it worth spending the extra to get the uncut Discotek release as opposed to the cut down Manga release? On Amazon, the Manga release is like £2 but the Discotek one is about £12.

Here's the difference:
Manga UK version
- Cut due to BBFC rules
- English dub only
- No subtitles (for H&H folks)
- PAL

Discotek version
- Uncut but some mosaics are used for certain scenes, this is the best you can get for the anime (it's the same as the Japanese version)
- Original Japanese audio w/English subtitles and English dub
- Also includes extra uncensored scenes
- NTSC

IncendiaryLemon said:
I see, thanks for the help. I might take a punt on the Manga release seeing as it's so cheap then if I like it I'll get the better US release later.

Guess there's no harm in that.

I see Discotek also have a couple more 'old Manga' properties:
- Casshan: Robot Hunter Casshern
- Crying Freeman
- Fist of the North Star [both the TV series and Movie]
- Golgo 13: The Professional
- Lupin the Third: Bye, Bye, Lady Liberty
- Lupin the Third: Mystery of Mamo
- Mad Bull 34
- Project A-Ko
- Street Fighter II: The Movie [Coming soon, includes Japanese audio and all versions of the English dubs, uncut]
- Violence Jack
- Wicked City [Coming soon, includes Japanese audio and both English dubs, uncut]

Just popping in to say something back a couple of posts upthread:

Andrew's post on the Amazon blu ray listings is the holy grail on that subject as far as I'm concerned. (Cheers once again, Andrew - I'm looking forward to seeing what happens there.)

However, I think it's worth worth making a couple of responses to comments I missed earlier:

ilmaestro said:
HdE was maybe the last person I expected to see saying "it's from the 70s, therefore it's worth less".

To be fair, though that's not exactly what I've said. The age of the series is just one aspect of the show that makes the RRPs unappealing.

For some consumers, like it or not, there's a question of perceived worth. 1979 Gundam is, to my mind, worth about as much as any other series from that era in today's market. If I can buy 42 episodes of Captain Harlock on DVD for £30 via Discotek's R1 DVD release, naturally I'm going to question why a series of similar age and length is being solicited for significantly more money.

There may be some answers to that which are reasonable, and I can accept those. And there are others which won't sit so well with me. For example, if someone at Sunrise is saying 'We want this much for the license' or 'we want this release model, just because it's Gundam', that's ENTIRELY unreasonable to me.

If somebody was asking for - no, more importantly, if I *ACTUALLY THOUGHT I'D END UP PAYING* - £120 for all of Giant Gorg or Mazinger Z, I would be nuking anime forums from orbit with my indignation. Because my personal desire is for EVERYBODY who wants to buy those shows to be able to afford them. Or at least bea ble to afford them with a little effort. But that price point seems to fall outsde that.

Lutga said:
I kind of figured people would be used to these prices by now...? I mean, we all paid nearly £40 quid for only 9 or so episodes of Kill La Kill, right?

Ah, but did we? I didn't.

Every time this discussion takes place on the forums, I'm genuinely grateful to those who chime in with industry level insights or other persectives. But I wouldn't want to see UK fans simply accept these kinds of prices without question. I think it's fine for people who want the product and who can afford it at that price to buy it. But the more expensive the product becomes, the more it'll dictate to numbers of people buying it. Basic business.

That's really all I want to say on the matter until more concrete info surfaces. I think even posting this after Andrew's comments crosses the line past being fair to him and Anime Limited.

Rest assured, I'm watching with interest.

Buzzkillington said:
Black Lagoon has a fantastic dub and I think that was done by Geneon, also dunno who did Tiger & Bunny but pretty sure it wasn't Funi and that's a great dub too.

I don't mind the JJBA dub, but at this point I don't think I could switch the voices to English, too used to the Japanese ones so be far too jarring for me.
Tiger and Bunny was done by Viz.

Log Horizon was a Sentai dub and I thought that was pretty good.

Agreed - I loved the Log Horizon dub.

I have to confess, I'm interested at what the dub landscape will look like in the next year or two as it seems like a lot of the old favourites are doing less and less, and with the broadcast dubs coming in for many series, a lot of unknowns are coming through.

Chaika_Shocking.jpg

Chaika dub officially confirmed by Sentai.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Wasn't this already confirmed? I thought the Manga/Animatsu (I kind of stopped keeping track) release later this year was already confirmed dual audio.

Not necessarily. Bare in mind that not only does Amazon add misinformation, but Animatsu are also releasing their subtitle only Sentai titles on Blu-ray (examples include Blade & Soul, Comic Artists & his Assistants and Samurai Jam Bakumatsu Rock).

So when Chaika's UK schedule was revealed, people weren't sure if it was going to get dubbed despite the Amazon info.

Back