The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Yami said:
'. The Japanese Blu-Ray of Little Norse Prince sadly looks like an upscale, so there'd be no point in Canal upgrading it until there's a real HD master available.

I'd still love that to get a release if they can't recover any film masters, provided it's upscaled with care and attention.

serpantino said:
Yami said:
'. The Japanese Blu-Ray of Little Norse Prince sadly looks like an upscale, so there'd be no point in Canal upgrading it until there's a real HD master available.

I'd still love that to get a release if they can't recover any film masters, provided it's upscaled with care and attention.

I haven't read anything about missing elements. Toei is a big studio and it got wide (and even international) theatrical release. It was probably just cheaper to not scan it and restore it.

I keep thinking of importing the Japanese Blu-ray of Only Yesterday, at least this gives me an excuse to hold off for a while. I really hope we do end up getting a Blu-ray here, I'd certainly pick it up.

Dannielle said:
I'm sure I read that us in the UK weren't going to have the "Ilse's Notebook" OVA with volume 17 of Attack On Titan but it's up for pre order on Amazon .. : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Attack-Titan-17 ... s=kodansha
Could be an import, but I'd be pissed if Kodansha Comics deprived us of it. (Hopefully, their idea of a limited edition is not completely sold out by release date never to be seen again.) Although I gathered they probably would because of BBFC difficulties.

I might tweet them and ask.

Anyone following the Clannad Visual Novel Kickstarter should take note of these recent news points:

a6613109d62f64add01a7f6d6dfaf065_original.jpg

- The BackerKit will end VERY SOON on August 16th. So if you wish to add additional items for your pledge, then it's best to sort that out ASAP!
- The Physical Edition for both Clannad and Clannad: Side Stories will require a CD-check mechanism, I assume this is similar to DRM.
- Translations for both Clannad and Clannad: Side Stories are complete and have begun the QC process.
- The estimated release date of the Kickstarter items is around November 2015.

For more info on the kickstarter, see here.

A quick poke around on Amazon reveals that Ghost In The Shell: Arise part 2 is up for pre-order, with placeholder prices of £29.99 for Blu Ray and £19.99 for DVD. Release date is slated as November.

Here's an interesting thought - Monster Musume is nowhere to be seen on this list:

ANN said:
The Summer 2015 Anime Series Viewers Are Still Looking Forward to Each Week
School-Live! - 1222 votes
Prison School - 1216 votes
Durarara!!×2 Ten - 1133 votes
Charlotte - 1102 votes
WORKING!!! - 932 votes
Snow White with the Red Hair - 912 votes
Non Non Biyori Repeat - 826 votes
The IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls - 816 votes
Rampo Kitan: Game of Laplace - 699 votes
Himōto! Umaru-chan - 676 votes
GATE - 628 votes
SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist - 622 votes
Aoharu x Machinegun - 617 votes
Junjō Romantica 3 - 550 votes
GANGSTA. - 536 votes
Castle Town Dandelion - 508 votes
To Love Ru: Darkness - 409 votes
Ushio & Tora - 374 votes
Overlord - 367 votes
Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers - 354 votes

The Summer 2015 Anime Series Viewers Are Still Looking Forward to Each Week (Women)
Durarara!!×2 Ten - 807 votes
Snow White with the Red Hair - 714 votes
WORKING !!! - 543 votes
Aoharu x Machinegun - 539 votes
Junjō Romantica 3 - 538 votes
Prison School - 515 votes
School-Live! - 456 votes
Rampo Kitan: Game of Laplace - 429 votes
GANGSTA. - 383 votes
Charlotte - 314 votes

The Summer 2015 Anime Series Viewers Are Still Looking Forward to Each Week (Men)
Charlotte - 788 votes
School-Live! - 766 votes
Non Non Biyori Repeat - 746 votes
Prison School - 701 votes
The IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls - 580 votes
GATE - 559 votes
Himōto! Umaru-chan - 478 votes
SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist - 444 votes
Castle Town Dandelion - 441 votes
WORKING !!! - 389 votes

Dragon Ball Super is also nowhere to be seen but that's pretty obvious (the show is recapping Battle of God's storyline at the moment and considering Japanese fans have probably already seen the film, it's not going to interest them).

I'm also glad to see Durarara!! x2 quite high on the main list since the sales for Shou were pretty low as far as I'm aware (Season 2 only managed to happen thanks to the influence of the English fanbase).

Interesting to see how different the lists are between genders.

On the basis of the gender split I'd assume Durarara!!x2 is surviving mostly on Shizaya fans. From what I've heard (and I haven't actually looked this up), first season sales for Durarara!! in Japan were quite good, and x2 sales were midling. I heard around the 3,000 mark per volume.

I haven't seen any episodes yet, but I'm really not seeing the appeal in Prison School. Seems like it could be funny, but I don't know if I'm ready for 'Spite: The Anime'...

Lutga said:
I'm not sure I trust that - Rokka is right at the bottom, yet it regularly ranks as one of the most popular on Crunchyroll.

I wouldn't be so sure forum culture completely represents a fair cross-section of anime fans in general. There are a few titles at the top of Crunchyroll's popular list, that I've not heard many positive things about. Take Sword Art Online, it's insanely popular, but rarely do you hear anybody say anything positive about it, and one or two that you almost never hear anything about (e.g. Ace of the Diamond).

Lutga said:
I'm not sure I trust that - Rokka is right at the bottom, yet it regularly ranks as one of the most popular on Crunchyroll.

Sure enough, i have something of :eek: WHAT, to see that women like gangsta and rampo so much but no sign of it in the men's top ten.

Going by those lists, girls basically like shows with hunky/pretty men, and guys like shows with cute school girls. The age old formula holds true.

kuuderes_shadow said:
Really?

I assure you that if that is really the case then it is entirely down to the circles you associate with.

The most positive thing I have ever heard about Sword Art Online, was that the second season (unlike the first) "wasn't bad enough to hatewatch"...

Stiivun said:
Sure enough, i have something of :eek: WHAT, to see that women like gangsta and rampo so much but no sign of it in the men's top ten.

That doesn't surprise me, a lot of people have been focussing on the so-called "manservice" element of Gangsta.

The poll comes from one Japanese website; bear in mind that otaku in Japan are absolutely drowned in this kind of opinion poll (they can even fill them in in shops for that particular branch's "Our customers' favourite shows right now!" rankings) so the results will vary wildly depending on the website running it. If a certain show is missing and it seems strange, all it might mean is that the site in question isn't popular with the demographic.

Having said that GANGSTA. being more popular with ladies comes as absolutely no surprise. I held the cover of the manga up to my partner and asked him what gender the creator was; he immediately laughed and said it was obviously written by a woman (despite the creator's not-very-feminine name) with its distinctive art style. He then read it himself and loved it too. Many women love material full of sex and action, I don't know why it would be surprising (it reminds me of when someone misguidedly tried to convince me to get into Ah My Goddess because it was 'girly' - uh, no thanks, it's way too soppy for me).

R

Today I learned I have more in common with female anime watchers than I do male. Good to know, I guess :p Then again, considering I haven't even heard of most of these shows goes to show I'm probably out of touch with all anime watchers lol only watching Durarara and Gangsta.

Back