The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

That is a little strange then. Grav is right, Monogatari can be very violent, no doubt, but I wouldn't say it's a patch on Elfen Lied. Like this scene:
doesn't even compare to Monogatari.

Last edited by a moderator:
kuuderes_shadow said:
Dannielle said:
kuuderes_shadow said:
It did, but didn't make the rankings. Chaos Dragon and Baby Steps season 2 also failed to rank. Full rankings will be out tomorrow.

Oh dear. I know it's a given for any season but seeing titles not rank always feels sad. I found Actually, I am to become more enjoyable as time went by, especially given there's actual Romantic development. Shame.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa sold 309 Blu Rays; Chaos Dragon sold 279

309! That's horrible. How could such a great show end up with 309 copies? WTF Japan.

And the opening was so cheerful as well...

large.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
IncendiaryLemon said:
Another and Elfen Lied have less Sex/Nudity than either of Neko Black, Neko White or Nise if memory serves me correctly. The BBFC it's ilk are always harsher on Sex than Violence.
I... think you might be misremembering Elfen Lied in that case. There's a lot of nudity in that show.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's small things that cause a major problem. For example there's a an scene in Watchmen where a goon's arm gets broken with a knife, and you see something emerge from the other side of the arm. Apparently the BBFC's reaction would change depending on whether it was knife or bone visible, with bone considered more problematic.

It went to an 18 anyway, but there was a similar scene in Durarara!!x2, except it was clearly bone poking through. I wonder if that may just tip it into an 18, even though the episode clearly doesn't warrant it.

I'm curious when Pretty Cure comes to the western world if it will be dub only?

I like alot of those shows that should be too immature for me, but I still like them, Pokemon, Digimon, Medabots and Yugioh to mention a few. I realy hope they will be released uncut with original Japanese audio and English subtitles someday.

Having just checked the listings the BBFC has for JoJos, it looks like we will be getting the dub as well. (Previous reports suggested it would be sub-only.) This also increases the likelihood of it matching the crappy US release.

kuuderes_shadow said:
Lutga said:
You kind of dread to think about how much a show would sell in the UK if it can only manage 300 copies in Japan...

Probably 9 in 10 things that get released here sell more in the UK than the volume 1 did in Japan.

I wouldn't be so sure - even the most popular anime struggle to sell over a 1000 copies in the UK these days.

Apparently these are the predicted sales (via Amazon Stalker) for the next set of anime. The numbers aren't final of course but the values are close (in other words Overlord could end up with 9k or even 11k):

10.2k Overlord
*6.8k To Love-Ru Darkness S2
*5.4k Charlotte
*3.0k Gakkou Gurashi!
*2.7k Fate/kaleid liner S3
*2.7k GANGSTA
*1.7k Junjou Romantica 3
*1.5k Gatchaman Crowds Insight.
*0.7k Woozer S3
*0.7k Kuusen Madoushi

As an example this was last week's:

*5.6k Non Non Biyori Repeat
*4.6k Monster Musume
*4.4k Himouto-chan
*1.8k Wakaba girl
*0.8k Danchigai
*0.7k Chaos Dragon
*0.6k Rokka no Yuusha
*0.3k Jitsu wa Watashi wa

NormanicGrav said:
Official results:
Monster Musume: Everyday Life With Monster Girls - 4,333
Non Non Biyori Repeat - 4,005
Himouto! Umaru-chan - 3,691
Wakaba Girl - 1,064
Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers - 551
Danchigai - 446
Jitsu wa Watashi wa - 309
Chaos Dragon - 279

Others at Week 1:
Working!!! - 5764
Durarara!!x2 Ten - 2572
Shimoneta - 1804
Okusama ga Seito Kaicho! - 1014
Venus Project Climax - 421

IncendiaryLemon said:
Gakkou Gurashi should be waaaaaay higher than Charlotte.
Maybe but Japanese sales records are just as nonsense as any other Ratings.

NormanicGrav said:
kuuderes_shadow said:
Jitsu wa Watashi wa sold 309 Blu Rays; Chaos Dragon sold 279
309! That's horrible. How could such a great show end up with 309 copies? WTF Japan.

And the opening was so cheerful as well...

large.gif

I'm not surprised on both counts, sadly.

Truthis'm turned people off by not adhering to the manga's distinct art style, limpwristed OP (that was some tepid ska at best) and looking really cheep (and, in the interest of personal fist waving, was region locked for no good reason) whilst Chaos Dragon probably shooed a lot of people off when they changed Urobuchi's character's gender for seemingly no reason whatsoever. You could have gotten away with it with any other Character too if the intent was to stop it from being a sausage fest but you don't screw with the Butcher's stuff, that's a sub 300 sales paddlin'

ConanThe3rd said:
I'm not surprised on both counts, sadly.

Truthis'm turned people off by not adhering to the manga's distinct art style, limpwristed OP (that was some tepid ska at best) and looking really cheep (and, in the interest of personal fist waving, was region locked for no good reason) whilst Chaos Dragon probably shooed a lot of people off when they changed Urobuchi's character's gender for seemingly no reason whatsoever. You could have gotten away with it with any other Character too if the intent was to stop it from being a sausage fest but you don't screw with the Butcher's stuff, that's a sub 300 sales paddlin'

Aldnoah.Zero was still selling 5k in it's second season, I wouldn't be so sure screwing with Urobuchi is the problem.

And if it's anything like it is in the West, Nasu's fans are far worse and way more likely to be upset by that type of thing. Especially given the whole debate over whether F/SN is sexist or not.

I don't think A.Z had the same issue as Urobuchi made it clear he only did the basic layline of that work.

And I'm not touching the F/SN Sexism issue with a 10^10^10 foot pole.

I think when questioning a series' poor sales in Japan, before doubting the customers the question should first be asked, "Sure, I liked streaming ____ for free but would I have spent £200 collecting it?". Chances are, you didn't even consider importing it on release either.

There may well have been plenty of people who enjoyed the series when it was airing, but there's a huge difference between enjoying something and wanting to own a premium copy of it. I buy plenty of premium anime and yet there are some genres I never import, including - sadly - consistent low sellers such as shoujo manga adaptations and cheaply animated comedies. They're great, but I don't want to spend hundreds owning them. The magic formula for making a series which entices people to part with that much cash is quite elusive.

I only watched one episode but I think Chaos Dragon had the problem that it sort of sucked more than some meta reason of a gender swap (in a favourable direction for its target market). I couldn't even keep watching at a cost of zero, let alone consider buying it.

R, who collects the JP and US versions of A.Z :D

According to base.com the release date for Dragon Ball Z Resurrection F has been delayed from October 26th to February 15th 2016. No other retailers are currently listing it at this date so far but wouldn't be surprised since the cinema release is next week.

Back