Upcoming UK Anime DVD Artwork!

Status
Not open for further replies.
**** off, Manga. They sell the box set for less on release than it costs to buy all five volumes AND they throw in an extra? What a joke.

In the future, now that I feel I've supported the double disc release enough, I'll just wait for the box sets. I'll complete what I need to but that's it.

Edit: As an added bonus, CD-WOW have put their price up to £66. Yay!

memorium said:
i just want to know when Hellsing Ultimate gets a Boxset (probably when it's all finished)

You got long wait on your hands with only 4 out 6 made episodes licensed and yet more episodes to be created. By the time they are all made/licensed who to say manga will still have the license.

Aion said:
F*** off, Manga. They sell the box set for less on release than it costs to buy all five volumes AND they throw in an extra? What a joke.
This has just become the norm now. Beez aside (pricey as they may be, at least they're giving people extras and artboxes) UK Distributors have now succesfully destroyed any reasons fans may have had for buying single disc releases. They need to start offering some incentives or they might as well just stop bothering with them altogether.

ayase said:
Aion said:
F*** off, Manga. They sell the box set for less on release than it costs to buy all five volumes AND they throw in an extra? What a joke.
This has just become the norm now. Beez aside (pricey as they may be, at least they're giving people extras and artboxes) UK Distributors have now succesfully destroyed any reasons fans may have had for buying single disc releases. They need to start offering some incentives or they might as well just stop bothering with them altogether.

The fans are to blame as well. ADV uk released some really nice single releases, which had double sided covers, dvd extras and booklets. For example: The Guyver singles contained 3x32 page booklets and each volume of Le Chevalier D'Eon came with its own booklet.

Dave said:
ayase said:
Aion said:
The fans are to blame as well. ADV uk released some really nice single releases, which had double sided covers, dvd extras and booklets. For example: The Guyver singles contained 3x32 page booklets and each volume of Le Chevalier D'Eon came with its own booklet.
The fans are to blame for being ripped off? How do you figure that one? What would it have taken for Manga to have given us a box with one volume of Death Note, and this artbook with another? A small outlay can result in large amounts of goodwill. ADV produced some nice singles (a few of which I bought) but then they were always going to be better when compared to their ****** plastic Scanavo brick collections.

ayase said:
Dave said:
ayase said:
Aion said:
The fans are to blame for being ripped off? How do you figure that one? What would it have taken for Manga to have given us a box with one volume of Death Note, and this artbook with another? A small outlay can result in large amounts of goodwill. ADV produced some nice singles (a few of which I bought) but then they were always going to be better when compared to their ****** plastic Scanavo brick collections.

Very simple, Adv produced some nice produced singles, not enough were brought meaning they went under. It simply not worth including single volumes extras when it means the extras sales won't cover the expenses including them. Look how mvm keep going and their single releases are as basic as you can get.

The death note release is already cheap enough to warrant that goodwill, who else in the uk is offering 8-12 episodes from between £19.99 - £24.99 RRP. Also death note singles did have few collector edition of their own which included figures.

All dvd companies release a standard version then release deluxe version later on, one of the only companies to do the opposite: ADV lead to their demise showing how successful it is.

ADV would still be going today if it weren't for their reckless business practices. It was that which sent them under, not the fans. And like I said, their singles were only better when compared to their own boxed sets of the same series' which were badly packaged and overpriced. If anything I expect the lack of people willing to pay £50 for a Scanavo boxed set was a bigger contributor to their downfall than the lack of people buying singles.

Fair's fair is a pretty simple concept too. If I pay more to collect singles, I should be getting something more than people who pay less for the boxed set. I certainly shouldn't be getting less than them! The Death Note collector's editions were only available from Zavvi and cost double the price they did elsewhere. That isn't what I call giving single collectors a good deal. If I'd bought them I'd have spent more than £100 collecting Death Note, rather than the £57 I paid to get less than the people who can now spend £42 to get the box. I imagine giving me a box and a book as extras would have cost Manga substantially less than the extra £15 I paid them over the boxed set price.

So - As a result I will buy no more singles. I'd already stopped buying MVM's. If other people feel the same (as I imagine they do) we'll see how long the argument in favour of barebones single releases holds up.

Don't worry about ADV. All their intellectual property and current licences have been handed on to their succeeding company: watch this space.

ayase said:
I paid to get less than the people who can now spend £42 to get the box. I imagine giving me a box and a book as extras would have cost Manga substantially less than the extra £15 I paid them over the boxed set price.

Where did you see the boxset for £42?

£42.99 is the standard price that I have seen - even HMV have it listed at this price, and they still sell boxsets like Last Exile for upto £60 when I got mine for £17 on sendit.com!

£42 is a great price for a series that is over 26eps long, and theres an art book with it. Its a shame that some people are complaining about the fact that they feel ripped off after buying the singles, but do you really not expect a box set release after the series has been released on several single volumes? Pretty much every company, UK or US, does this.

I think Manga are one of the good guys - we're getting Darker Than Black on 3 volumes - I doubt a company like MVM or ADV would do this, it would be spread across 6 or even 7 volumes.

People really could do with eyes. Shock at the box set being priced £42, even though I linked to it being sold for £31 in the past? Some people...

I don't buy singles. "Singles" implies single disc releases; not two or three disc releases. That's why I refuse to pay £10 for volume four of Death Note. I went for the double/triple disc Manga releases because they're excellent value for money.

The problem is, seeing Manga quickly release a box set with an extra shortly after releasing five volumes, for less than it cost to buy the five volumes makes me feel cheated. Why have I paid more for less exactly? Yes, I've supported Manga's releases, but why when I could've got the lovely looking box set for less if I'd waited?

I wouldn't care if the individual volumes had dropped in price, but they haven't - volumes four and five have never dropped in price since release, instead going up a quid. I'm now stuck with 3/5 singles, or I have to pay two-thirds of what it would've cost a few days ago to buy the box set in order to finish my collection.

I think the main point of contention is the artwork booklet. It's really not right that those who bought the singles end up with less than those who bought the cheaper box set re-release. Early adopters always end up paying more--that's just how it goes--but it's not fair that they miss out on extras.

ECHO
Aion said:
The problem is, seeing Manga quickly release a box set with an extra shortly after releasing five volumes, for less than it cost to buy the five volumes makes me feel cheated. Why have I paid more for less exactly? Yes, I've supported Manga's releases, but why when I could've got the lovely looking box set for less if I'd waited?

ayase said:
ADV would still be going today if it weren't for their reckless business practices. It was that which sent them under, not the fans. And like I said, their singles were only better when compared to their own boxed sets of the same series' which were badly packaged and overpriced. If anything I expect the lack of people willing to pay £50 for a Scanavo boxed set was a bigger contributor to their downfall than the lack of people buying singles.

Fair's fair is a pretty simple concept too. If I pay more to collect singles, I should be getting something more than people who pay less for the boxed set. I certainly shouldn't be getting less than them! The Death Note collector's editions were only available from Zavvi and cost double the price they did elsewhere. That isn't what I call giving single collectors a good deal. If I'd bought them I'd have spent more than £100 collecting Death Note, rather than the £57 I paid to get less than the people who can now spend £42 to get the box. I imagine giving me a box and a book as extras would have cost Manga substantially less than the extra £15 I paid them over the boxed set price.

So - As a result I will buy no more singles. I'd already stopped buying MVM's. If other people feel the same (as I imagine they do) we'll see how long the argument in favour of barebones single releases holds up.

ADV went down for many reason, but when a title like Red Garden Volume 3 sell only 60ish copies that is major reason why adv uk collapsed. The fans have take some of the blame. When Adv were doing well the singles sales where more important than box set sales as you would make up to twice the money plus on singles compared to box sets. Heck I bet a lot series only got box sets as it sold enough on single to justify it.

With Death Note you had the advantage of getting early and the fact you were supporting the release so it will get released in full. Their plenty of titles which never finished their run and some that did that never saw a box set release becuase of lack of support. Look at voltrons which was massive hit USA but only got volume 1 released over here or Le Chevalier D'Eon that never saw a UK box set.

It kinda show how people take for granted how far the industry has came, I remember paying £13.99 for 2 episodes of evangelion in dub only on vhs. People are get 8-13 episodes for that price now in both languages and are still moaning.

Dave said:
With Death Note you had the advantage of getting early and the fact you were supporting the release so it will get released in full. Their plenty of titles which never finished their run and some that did that never saw a box set release becuase of lack of support. Look at voltrons which was massive hit USA but only got volume 1 released over here or Le Chevalier D'Eon that never saw a UK box set.
For most people (me included) the feeling of satisfaction that you're helping the industry out isn't really enough. As for lack of support, I'm certainly not gonna buy stuff I'm not interested in (see, uh... all three series' you mentioned in your above post which never finished being released) or which a better version of is available from R1 - and probably cheaper, too. At least I friggin' buy DVDs instead of ripping everything off like two thirds of anime 'fans' do these days. That should count for something at least. It's not that I feel as though they owe me anything (it's my own choice whether I buy or not) but at the same time I don't think I owe them anything either. If someone wants to sell me something they have to convince me that it's worth buying, and right now I don't think single volumes devoid of extras are worth my money - especially when compared to the boxed sets.

Dave said:
It kinda show how people take for granted how far the industry has came, I remember paying £13.99 for 2 episodes of evangelion in dub only on vhs. People are get 8-13 episodes for that price now in both languages and are still moaning.
Oh I know, and can you believe these people complaining about the speed of their broadband when they used to have to send a carrier pigeon? Scandalous. I am so sick of this argument. Times change. People always want better things, and more of them, for less outlay. It's one of the things that drives us forwards as a society. I'm not even asking for that. I don't even want prices to come down, all I'm asking for is to be treated fairly as a consumer and as a fan. And until then I intend to vote with my wallet and not buy barebones single volumes.

Always My Santa

6525598x.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back