What did you RECEIVE today? PHOTOS EDITION!

😠
More like what didn't I receive today.
After 5 days of FedEx telling me they'll deliver my Rightstuf box today, they now tell me it's tomorrow.
As I'm not going home after work I will have to carry it around for 4 days. Or leave it at work until next week.
🤬😡

2023 HAUL VER 8.3
(note: images are hosted via AUKN for the meantime)

Two big titles arrived in the past few days!

IMG_20230815_175903.jpg

First up we have Shawscope Volume 2, the limited edition Blu-ray box set from Arrow Video. This is the second in the Shaw Brothers collection which features 14 films from the Hong Kong Asian Cinema scene:
  • Lau Kar-wing: The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (少林三十六房), Return to the 36th Chamber (少林搭棚大師), Disciples of the 36th Chamber (霹靂十傑), Mad Monkey Kung Fu (瘋猴), My Young Auntie (長輩), & Martial Arts of Shaolin (南北少林)
  • Lo Mar: Five Superfighters (唐山五虎)
  • Chang Cheh: Invincible Shaolin (南少林與北少林), The Kid with the Golden Arm (金臂童), Magnificent Ruffians (賣命小子), & Ten Tigers of Kwangtung (廣東十虎與後五虎)
  • Wong Jing: Mercenaries from Hong Kong (猎魔者)
  • Kuei Chih-hung: The Boxer’s Omen (魔)
  • Johnnie To: The Bare-Footed Kid (赤脚小子)
There's a lot of content on these discs and the booklet is neat, going into detail for each film. Fun fact Martial Arts of Shaolin is one of Jet Li's earliest roles, and Johnnie To's The Bare-Footed Kid is a remake of Chang Cheh's Disciples of Shaolin which is a neat thing to know. Part of the reason I bought this sooner was because there was a brief panic on the internet due to the set being out of stock in multiple retailers and prices were going up. It's now back on Arrow's store, but I bought my copy at Deff for £99.99, which is £10 more than Amazon's price at the time. You can view more photos and specs on my blog.

IMG_20230816_181349.jpg

Next we have Gunbuster, the 1988 OVA series in a collector's edition Blu-ray package from Anime Limited. I have watched the theatrical compilation film first nearly a decade ago (which I did a redux post on my blog for those interested) and its good to have access to the original version. You can view more photos & specs on my blog.

Gunbuster for me as well! Feels like ages since it was up for pre-order. Definitely going to rewatch that this weekend. I won't share pics (everyone else has done a fine job with theirs) however I will say I really like the style of blu ray inlay AL has went for. The fact that ugly elephant ass logo is nowhere to be seen on the spine and the generic blue template is banished to the J-card and is not on the actual case is a huge relief. The fact they went for an all black back to the inlay with the episode titles and lots of screenshots makes it look more premium. It kinda reminds me of a Japanese release or maybe even an Animeigo one (especially with the clear case). Gives me faith for future releases.

Last edited:
New arrivals!

Discotek-Summoner.jpg

Vivired-Operation.jpg

Vivired-Operation-A.jpg

Dok-Ero-Ark-SAOConquest.jpg

Back