What Games Are You Playing?

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was a good game. The psychological profiling it did on you was fun, and the fact that there was no backtracking helped considerably. An interesting story too, but by the end you have worked it out.

And it's convenient that I've actually just started playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent. So far... it's okay, but not finding it actually scary or such. It also rips off Eternal Darkness' sanity/weird effects scheme. And it's based in Britain and the creators have spelt colour as 'Color'. That, admittedly, was quite frightening.

vashdaman said:
Anyway yeah replaying Mue should be good, I haven't played it since it first came out and I never even finished it (groundhog forklift bug...)

I had that on my first playthrough, too. Ended up rather rich after getting past it!

I didn't get along with Shattered Memories at all. The gameplay was too compartmentalised for my liking and meant there wasn't any tension until the "chase" sequences. Which I loathed.

Did anyone play Call of Cthulhu? It's a Lovecraft-inspired first-person horror/adventure that's got a reputation for being rather scary. It was too scary for my old PC, on which the demo ran like a dog, but I'm tempted to get it off Steam, where it's cheap, for my more powerful laptop.

fabricatedlunatic said:
I didn't get along with Shattered Memories at all. The gameplay was too compartmentalised for my liking and meant there wasn't any tension until the "chase" sequences. Which I loathed.
Giant Bomb's GOTY for the year it came out! I'm super tempted to play it based on that alone.

Instead of playing Assassin's Creed Revelations, one of my "big three" games of the year that I was massively hyped for, I just can't stop playing Saints Row 2 coop. It's absolutely brilliant! Myself and a friend have just been going around messing about and doing all the side missions. I love how they all feel unique and different from each other. Some of them are absolutely brilliant and just great fun with 2 players.

I liked GTA IV but I disliked that it got a bit serious and lost a lot of what I felt made Vice City brilliant. I think that SR2 is kind of capturing that lost silliness and over the top situations. It's just a load of fun!

MercenaryRaiden said:
Instead of playing Assassin's Creed Revelations, one of my "big three" games of the year that I was massively hyped for, I just can't stop playing Saints Row 2 coop. It's absolutely brilliant! Myself and a friend have just been going around messing about and doing all the side missions. I love how they all feel unique and different from each other. Some of them are absolutely brilliant and just great fun with 2 players.

I liked GTA IV but I disliked that it got a bit serious and lost a lot of what I felt made Vice City brilliant. I think that SR2 is kind of capturing that lost silliness and over the top situations. It's just a load of fun!

Saints Row 2 is AWESOME. I love it. Not sure if I'm gonna pick up Third right away though, it needs to be different enough to be worth my while. I really love SR2 though, it represents everything GTA used to be and pushes it even further.

Zelda just arrived. Given the reviews basically all state its awesome unless you dislike Zelda, I'm almost scared to start it hehe

The orchestrated CD with it is rather awesome for us longer term fans though. 45 minutes of Zelda Orchestrated Awesomeness.

fabricatedlunatic said:

Did anyone play Call of Cthulhu? It's a Lovecraft-inspired first-person horror/adventure that's got a reputation for being rather scary. It was too scary for my old PC, on which the demo ran like a dog, but I'm tempted to get it off Steam, where it's cheap, for my more powerful laptop.

OH SNAP! I totally forgot about Call of Cthulhu during this scary game discussion. The hotel chase in Innsmouth is absolutely berserk! It has one of the most intense sequences in video game history, so much so people find it hard to get past.

Play the first half of the game with the lights off and the encounter with the flying Polyp if you want scares.

alexrose1uk said:
Zelda just arrived. Given the reviews basically all state its awesome unless you dislike Zelda, I'm almost scared to start it hehe.

SesameSkywardStreetSword.png

Think us Skyward Sword servants should have bought Sesame Street instead.

Oh, the fanboy rage over at Gamespot :lol:

Genkina Hito said:
OH SNAP! I totally forgot about Call of Cthulhu during this scary game discussion. The hotel chase in Innsmouth is absolutely berserk! It has one of the most intense sequences in video game history, so much so people find it hard to get past.
Last night I remembered that I'd actually bought the game from Direct2Drive and re-downloaded it. Hell yes. Given what you've written there I find myself quite excited about giving it a proper go.

Max Takeshi said:
alexrose1uk said:
Zelda just arrived. Given the reviews basically all state its awesome unless you dislike Zelda, I'm almost scared to start it hehe.

Think us Skyward Sword servants should have bought Sesame Street instead.

Oh, the fanboy rage over at Gamespot :lol:

I'm not surprised people aren't happy at thier review, every, and I mean EVERY other review is over 8/10 (with a lot of 10/10s), plus half of the complaints Gamespot had, suggest the remote wasn't actually working properly, as I've not seen control issues mentioned anywhere else.

The overall metacritic score is currently 95/100 with 37 reviews collated. That's pretty telling; they've outdone things like Modern Warfare which the magazines love and also its holding the same score as Skyrim, but with almost twice the number of reviews.

The issue which people are having with gamespot, which is why noone listens to them now, is that. The guy who reviews all zelda for them gave OoT 10, then said Twilight Princess was better than it, yet gave TP 8.8, and then decided to give Skyward 7.5 A good reason noone listens to their reviews now, and a reason why i never read reviews full stop.

Regardless. I have started Skyward Sword. 3 and a half hours into the game now, i've only really covered the starting section and...only just got into the first dungeon. So yeah, my time to be spent on this will be fairly high i expect.

This Skyward Sword malarkey is an interesting one. You get the 10/10s (by some of the hardest to please fellas), and then there's the 8s and 9s out of 10. Yes, I know an 8 is a good score, but with such a load of perfect reviews there's something fishy going on.

Note: I haven't played it yet, so don't know...

But then again... I never did think that much of OOT...

Eyes-1.gif

Finished FF:VI yesterday, probably not gonna attempt Kaiser Dragon, might try the glitch by getting past him though. Started Fallout 3 again yesterday, but I have a feeling I'll be buying Zelda today although I initially didn't want to.

fabricatedlunatic said:
Genkina Hito said:
Last night I remembered that I'd actually bought the game from Direct2Drive and re-downloaded it. Hell yes. Given what you've written there I find myself quite excited about giving it a proper go.

I've played a lot of video games but few have made me panic so much during a level. It's the music, sound design and the fact that the atmosphere that had been built up during the previous exploration section had gotten to me. It took me three or four - probably five tries to master it. I'm not alone in rating it highly.

http://goty.gamespy.com/2006/pc/index19.html

Back