Why do YOU like visiting AUKN?

I like this site because I share it with people that share the same interests as myself, and what is more is that they are comrades from the same, or a fellow, nation.

It is quite an active site too. Forums that recieve five posts a day are boring, and small, simple conversations end up taking about a week due to waiting for someone to reply to a post.

It was a cross between a response to Retro mentioning what I'd said and rambling. I didn't C&P it from anywhere.

If you were attempting to troll me by suggesting I was trolling, you troll-to-troll message failed, by the way.

You haven't seen enough of my rubbish. When I'm offensive I'm usually looking for a reaction, or, as you put it, "trolling", but I'm serious when there's a depressive tone to what I'm saying. If you can differentiate between the two then you won't be wrong in the future.

In short, aggressive = trolling and depressing = serious. Easy, no?

I wasn't intending to start a discussion put if you strongly disagree with what I said then, to pass time, I'd like to read your views on people. The way I view people is probably very different from how others, such as yourself do - this is quite a diverse forum in terms of opinions after all.

My logic with regards to how others acts works something like this: if someone helps someone else, they're doing it for self satisfaction rather than doing a good deed because they're naturally "good". If I see someone helping an old person then I think they're doing it to feel young; to see the difference between themself and the weaker person they're helping - it's good to know there's someone in a more pathetic situation.

Online or offline, I see no truth in peoples actions. All I can see ae lies created to fit in; or, worded better, masks used to hide the real reasoning behind actions.

As insightful as that sentence and the question mark that went before were, I can't say I'm able to understand why you thought what I was saying originally had to be an attempt to start an argument. Who, in your opinion, was I attempting to troll?

Aion said:
As insightful as that sentence the question mark that went before were, I can't say I'm able to understand why you thought what I was saying had to be an attempt to start an argument originally. Who, in your opinion, was I attempting to troll?
??

I missed out 'and', as you're well aware. It wasn't hard to guess where the missing word went.

...Fine, fine. I'll stop trying to talk to you and just call you prick. You're a prick. Maes Hughes or not, I don't like you.

Aion, for all that you claim to know about other people, don't expect everyone else to understand you. You can be quite a confusing individual yourself sometimes and I think you need to work out what it is you want from individual conversations and from this forum.

Yes, a lot of people put on facades to fit in IRL, I don't get on with those people either. I think very few people however will be doing this in an online forum filled with anime & manga fans, who are outsiders to our society in the first place. If we were trying to fit in we wouldn't be here. People might show respect and courtesy to others to make their lives easier, as it means you don't live your entire life in constant conflict with others, but I don't think they do it to feel better about themselves. For the main part I think people treat others how they like (or are most comfortable with) being treated themselves. In the case of those who treat other people badly, make of that what you will.

And in an attempt to get us back on track - Another reason I like AUKN is because I don't think people here are fake either.

I don't think everyone on the internet is fake, and if you truly believe that I have to wonder why you even talk to people on the internet. I'm pretty sure you (Aion) don't like me because my name is James, or is it because I decided to use my real name as my screen name instead of hiding behind a fake name?
Either way, I don't much care, I know loads of people IRL I first met on the internet and they are just the same in person, but maybe you should have a bit more faith in people and not paint everyone with the same brush.

Aion said:
I missed out 'and', as you're well aware. It wasn't hard to guess where the missing word went.

...Fine, fine. I'll stop trying to talk to you and just call you prick. You're a prick. Maes Hughes or not, I don't like you.
Oh, I was just providing double the insight with double the question marks. ^^;

I think maybe Aion over thinks things too much? What does it matter why I'm helping an elderly person so much? It's a good, decent thing to do, and it doesn't matter if I do it because I subconsciously want to feel young.

Aion said:
My logic with regards to how others acts works something like this: if someone helps someone else, they're doing it for self satisfaction rather than doing a good deed because they're naturally "good". If I see someone helping an old person then I think they're doing it to feel young; to see the difference between themself and the weaker person they're helping - it's good to know there's someone in a more pathetic situation.

Online or offline, I see no truth in peoples actions. All I can see ae lies created to fit in; or, worded better, masks used to hide the real reasoning behind actions.

I agree with you there. Altruism is just a facade for those who haven't the spine to admit their inherent selfishness (selfishness being pretty natural, its what our instincts dictate).

CitizenGeek said:
It's a good, decent thing to do[...]

There are no 'good, decent things'. The concept is man-made and therefore highly artificial.

So which is it, selfish or a facade to treat others with respect and courtesy because you like to be treated in the same manner? You can't know whether people deserve your respect and courtesy or not until you get to know them - So why presume the worst of them initially?

I have a pretty dismal view of humanity myself, but I'm convinced there are exceptions to the rule. If you hold a negative view of every single person before you've even go to know them you're going to spend your lives alone and in constant conflict with everyone around you.

Derfel said:
There are no 'good, decent things'. The concept is man-made and therefore highly artificial.

So you don't believe there is any such thing as morality, or moral people? I think you're taking the concept of moral skepticism a little too far. I can accept arguments that morality is not intrinsic to humankind, and is rather conditioned by society but I find it almost impossible to even consider that there is no such thing as selflessness and morality. There are many instances of people giving up their lives for the benefit of others, and there is no way to spin that as being selfish which leads me to believe morality is a very real thing, not just a mask for selfishness.

ayase said:
So which is it, selfish or a facade to treat others with respect and courtesy because you like to be treated in the same manner? You can't know whether people deserve your respect and courtesy or not until you get to know them - So why presume the worst of them initially?

I have a pretty dismal view of humanity myself, but I'm convinced there are exceptions to the rule. If you hold a negative view of every single person before you've even go to know them you're going to spend your lives alone and in constant conflict with everyone around you.

I operate on different presumptions, but the answer I usually reach is the same. I do not presume the worst of people. Because other people have instincts as well, they have an urge to feel "right". They will act in accordance with their morality, however artificial that may be. I do the same, only I do not attribute any great importance to said "morality" and I simply call it instinct. The only difference is that I don't try to justify my conduct through morals, but through instinct and utilitarian thinking.

CitizenGeek said:
Derfel said:

So you don't believe there is any such thing as morality, or moral people? I think you're taking the concept of moral skepticism a little too far. I can accept arguments that morality is not intrinsic to humankind, and is rather conditioned by society but I find it almost impossible to even consider that there is no such thing as selflessness and morality. There are many instances of people giving up their lives for the benefit of others, and there is no way to spin that as being selfish which leads me to believe morality is a very real thing, not just a mask for selfishness.

I do believe in a weak concept: morality in the subjective sense. Objective morality (normative ethics), however, is a completely different matter. It would be extremely conceited to claim that we have the authority to declare normative morals that shall bind everyone. Religious persons often argue with scripture, but let us admit, those arguments are extremely weak and unless you accept the numerous presumptions (God exists, God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnibenevolent, etc.), they must fall.

Clearly, society on a grand scale does not accept these presumptions as a body, so you cannot derive your morality from religion (of course, as a person you can, but no one is, by law, obliged to follow that). In addition, many people have views pertaining normative morality, but they often conflict. There is huge inconsistency, and frankly, that doesn't really make normative morality very persuasive. We are human beings, far from unfailing and omniscient and in the absence of any external source, we can only use our own imagination to create morality. That morality will be, unavoidably, arbitrary. No matter what you decide, no matter what your definition of right and wrong may be, it will be arbitrary.

For the reason outlined above, I chose to side with utilitarian thinking and behaviourism. My views as to what shall happen do not fundamentally differ from yours or from most other healthy-minded people. The difference is the reasoning behind. People should be advised and encouraged to carry out acts that have a positive effect on society, of course, helping the elderly is just one of them, but whenever you help someone, you do it for your own gratification. If you genuinely felt bad after helping someone (in the sense of feeling something akin to guilt), despite understanding that what you did was a positive act, you would probably not repeat it in the future.

Yes, people die for others. Many animals die for their offspring, do we attribute to these animals any morality? Not really. It is their instinctive reaction. In our case, it is the same: instinct. It might seem more complicated, but it really is not. We do in fact have a few more thought processes, but all those processes serve one purpose, to provide our instincts with the most accurate data possible. We cannot escape from our instincts yet, we can suppress them, but not escape yet.

When you do something you consider morally correct, you feel some sort of satisfaction. If you felt no such satisfaction (whilst thinking about the act you wish to carry out, doing it and afterwards once you have perpetrated the act), you would simply not carry out such acts. This very feeling that drives people to carry out acts perceived as morally correct is caused by our instincts. Behaviourism.

Y'know Maes, you suck. A lot. I might have said this already but I don't like you. At all.

My accent is far less annoying than yours, also.

Anyway. I'm suddenly feeling lazy - too lazy to have an in-depth discussion with anyone about morality and if anyone truly does anything for anyone other than number #1. My thoughts are pretty clear about that in any event. So, for the greater good (myself), I'm going to try to get this topic back on topic and away from the off-topic topic that has needlessly come and corrupted this fine discussion.

I like that on AUKN have I yet to be jumped on by a large amount of people and anally penetrated (not literally - that would be difficult on the net). Some members might enjoy the thought of that sort of thing but I don't. With me there usually comes a point where I upset most of the forum, get them to hate me, fight a valiant battle with my finger and, finally, when it gets boring, click escape. That probably won't happen here because most people think of most others as ****s, which works out perfectly for me since I fit right in.

And, no Ayase, I'm not confusing or difficult to understand. Human actions and thoughts contradict each other. Mentally I want to distance myself from others, live on a mountain in some far off land and die like a wolf, but my heart has other ideas. It's said that humans can't live alone - it drives them crazy - and it's true. There's no middle ground between my dislike of myself and others and my hidden desire to be talk to others.

Back