Your viewing journal

Anime, how i've miss thee. So, i've had a wee drought of no anime for a bit, so i thought to get back into form with it all now the new season is here:

Beelzebub 1 - I've been reading the manga for a while now after i saw a few pages here and there which pushed me curiosity enough. The first episode is actually a little bit more decent than i first expected it to be. I had heard that it wasn't following the first chapter of the manga right, but it looks to be fine.

There maybe one thing that might push me back to the manga though, but thankfully it does become less common, and that's Baby Beels crying. Seriously, once every so often is ok, but that much in one ep is rather cringe-worthy. Ok it was the first ep i guess. All the characters sound exactly how i wanted them to though, which is a positive. And last bit i'll say for now before leaving more judgement on ep 2, i'm kinda preferring the ED to the OP

Bakemonogatari 10 - My, that was a long wait. But worth it. So the Nadeko Snake arc is now done with, and 2 episodes seemed just right for it. I spoke with ilmae on the matter before, but i have to say that i do really like how Nisoisin includes the characters from previous arcs into the later ones, Kanbaru worked perfectly in this arc for example, adding in the right amount of humour. I don't think i've really come to fault any of the characters in this yet. Not only that, i still think the way SHAFT play out each episode is brilliant. Cat arc next i believe and that ends the series, so looking forward to see if this matches up to the quality i've seen up till now

Other episodes i've watched which i won't leave much on, since i'll repeat what i always do with them are To aru Majutsu no Index 13 and a few episodes of Gintama

Oniichan nanka ep 1 - You know when you think something is going to be a parody, and it's not, but it might be a parody of something else, but it's not good either way? Yeah, this is that thing.

Beelzebub ep 1 - I think they did OK with this, tbh. Comedy of this nature is harder to get right on the screen than the page, but it was enough to keep me watching.

Yup, you know they haven't thought too hard (or maybe they have thought very much too hard) when they're adding male characters into mechamusume shows. :-/

Index II ep 13 - They got the last two scenes right, which was the main thing. They could probably have explained Lidvia's Mardi Gras a bit so that she didn't just "look" crazy, though (if they did, I wasn't paying enough attention).

Bakuman ep 14 - Niiiiiiizumaaaaa Eiiiiijiiiiiiiii~ plenty of the best character in the show, so I enjoyed the ep.

Star Driver ep 14 - I really like the way they've developed Mizuno's arc, the series has had a lot more structure over the last few episodes and I've come to enjoy it way more than the first five episodes would have suggested.

Level E ep 1 - Out of all the shows I was interested in this season, this was possibly the one I knew the least about, and had the least (although not exactly "lowest") expectation for. But I would have to say the first episode was excellent. Very amusing, and a cool premise (although it maybe feels a little like something the main characters from Bakuman would be writing ^^; ) that doesn't need too much expanding on to provide the show with totally its own atmosphere.

KoreZom ep 1 - Yes, yes, YES. I was really looking forward to this, and it proved hilarious and awesome. Definitely need to see more of You, but that will obviously come. Notebook moe :~~

Dragon Crisis ep 1 - This was a good way towards becoming very tedious until Rose showed up, so it doesn't leave me overlly positive unless she fulfills her potential (at the very least, her cuteness atm will only work short-term). In the bottom three of the episode 1s I've watched so far from this season.

Death Note ep 1 - Sure is moral quandries. Very interested to see what happens when it all starts to go a bit wrong, which doesn't look like it will take long at all.

Fairy Tail ep 61 - This show isn't really at its best when it's just fighting, but cool moment for Natsu at the end. I feel like this arc should have been plotted a lot more steadily, rather than "these are the six most dangerous guys out there... FIIIIIIGGGHHHHTT!!".

Kimi no Todoke (1st season): ep 1-3

Felt like a break from the intensity of Votoms, so I thought I'd give this a go. It's funny in parts and Sawako is quite an endearing character, but I can't help comparing it to Lovely Complex, which I felt was punchier and faster paced.

Stuart-says-yes said:
Rio- Rainbow Gate episode 2

Probably the best anime of the season
Stuart-says-yes said:
Mahou shojo Madoka Magica episode 1

I call it right now, best show of the season

There can be only one! [/Highlander]

I watched the first episode of Xam'd again today, I really need to finish that series (despite reading the quality takes a bit of a turn for the less-awesome towards the end).

Prof: I nearly dropped Kimi ni Todoke after about three or four episodes, but it gets a lot better as it moves into the middle of the series imo, so I would advise to keep at it if you like it at all so far.

Stuart-says-yes said:
Rio- Rainbow Gate episode 2

Probably the best anime of the season
Stuart. :-/

Stuart-says-yes said:
ilmaestro said:
Stuart. :-/

Aww, it was good you know, first they were playing roulette and then all of a sudden there playing volleyball with giant speaking numbers. If that isn't entertainment I don't know what is. lol.
The ribbing... I can't handle the light ribbing... щ(゚Д゚щ)

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 The Movie - A wakening of the Trailblazer -

Sure is Strike Witches The Movie.

Having done an exceptional job of avoiding spoilers before seeing it, I couldn't decide whether to be surprised or not at the story they chose to tell. From the point of view of the ideals of the whole series, it's the obvious choice, but it's such well covered ground that it needed to be delivered a little better to really make an impression. And whilst convincing in scope, the battles fall down at times when it comes to really involving and exciting the audience, although some sequences do buck the trend. Lots of Matrix/Halo/older SF that inspired those two/etc influences kicking around, as well. Worth watching if you already love the characters from the TV series, probably not otherwise.

Death Note eps 2-4 - Well, Light went a little crazy even quicker than I expected. And killed way more people way more quickly than I expected. Is this paced any differently in the manga? I think I'm going to enjoy the oh-but-I-know-you-know-I-know-that-you-know entanglement once L gets even more involved.

Stuart-says-yes said:
Unless someone says on friday, this weeks freezing was top tier awesomeness, its dropped.
I'm gonna say that now, *especially* if it sucks really hard.

Tayutama: Kiss on my Deity Episodes 2 & 3

Also to save posting elsewhere,

Family Guy - It's a Trap! - This a an hour long episode where Peter tells Return of the Jedi after there is a power cut.

Stuart-says-yes said:
ilmaestro said:
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 The Movie - A wakening of the Trailblazer -
Sure is Strike Witches The Movie.

There's loli pantsu in gundam now?
Well, no. But it is basically (general plot "spoiler") very similar to the Neuroi stuff.

ilmaestro said:
Stuart-says-yes said:
Unless someone says on friday, this weeks freezing was top tier awesomeness, its dropped.
I'm gonna say that now, *especially* if it sucks really hard.

Lol, still sore about Rio being good? Anyway, won't I know if your lying now? lol
That's my brilliant plan, you'll have to check just in case!

Rena Ryuugu said:
To Aru Majutsu no Index II episodes 9-11

Poor Himeagami =(
Yup. ;_; Pretty harsh turn of events.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rio ep 2 - lulz. My brain is swimming at the idea that they might be building up some epic plot for this.

Mitsudoe S2 ep 1 - Crazily perfect way to restart the show. Looking forward to getting back into this.

Infinite Stratos ep 2 - Mmm, can't help but shake the feeling you're watching a video game during the cutscenes, and a couple of things about the male lead throw me off. But better than the first ep, I like Houki more now and Hikasa Youko has grown into the role a little better.

Yumekui Merry ep 2 - Love Merry, and the show really seems to be opening up. Possibly a lot better than I first thought.

Hourou Musuko ep 1 - don't want to say too much about this now as I'm going to rewatch virtually immediately, but it is beautiful and feels extremely well put together.

Fractale episode 1 - This felt like I was watching some kind of old Irish movie, its sets us up with some interesting characters although some anime traits are still shown. It easily impressed me and its another contender for the best first episode this season.

Wolveranime episode 1 - Thought I would hate it however it was much better than Iron Man, a decent plot with some good action, my worry is that it might go downhill from here but i'm happy to continue with it.

Kimi Ni Todoke S2 episode 01 -
Give him the chocolate, Give him the chocolate, GIVE HIM THE CHOCOLATE! Damnit Sawako
Now that we have truly started I really enjoyed coming back to these characters, very heartwarming most of it then a bit sad by the end of it, its what I love about the series and again another great episode.

Baccano episode 1 - 13 - Pretty much the same opinion's Raz112 showed in his review of the series, amazing characters, brilliant plot and bloody good fun.

Back